Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

coronovirus & grandchildren

(16 Posts)
Hazel731 Fri 20-Mar-20 08:13:26

My dil is a nurse with children aged 1 & 2 that I normally look after. My husband had heart attacks and stents 12 years ago and now on meds. Do I still have the children or say no in which case she cant work?

Hazel731 Fri 20-Mar-20 08:15:42

We also have a son living with us who is a policeman, so he is still going out there and having to have close contact with others.

Gemini17892 Fri 20-Mar-20 08:23:42

Oh dear me. What a dilemma.
Personally for selfish reasons I would say no to the grandchildren for a while so I could see them in the future .

M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 20:24:26

Uneqivocably 'No'. Your husband has underlying medical problems that means he (and you) should be absolutely cutting your contacts with anyone to an absolute minimum.

Your DiL is working in an environment where she is at high risk of catching the disease and children can have the illness while showing few if any symptoms. If your daughter or a grandchild introduced into the house the illness that killed your husband. How would you and they feel about it?

Hazel731 Sat 21-Mar-20 16:39:03

Thank you for all your thoughts. We have stopped seeing all the outside family. My father is in a care home with dementia and I can't see him either. My husband's son comes every other weekend and we have stopped him too. Quite alot of emotions all at once, but I know we are not the only ones and there are loads of people worse off who if we didn't isolate could be more at risk. As well as that my husband would be another one needing hospital care if he got it. I wish the younger generation would stop being so thoughtless, families near me are flocking to the local National trust forest as it is now free and apparently you can't move in the car park let alone the forest.

ninathenana Sat 21-Mar-20 16:50:47

DD and SiL are both key workers. Our GSx2 are not enrolled in a local school ( not going into detail) they will be local to me as from today. We will be called on to give childcare once or twice a week. We will take extra precautions re hygiene but it will have to happen.

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 23:24:21

The National Trust have now closed all their parks and gardens as well as the houses. They had opened the parks and gardens up to everybody whether they were NT members or not and so many people were going to them now that there were too many people too close to each other that there was an increased risk of Corvid-19 transmission so they have closed all the parks and gardens as well.

Ohmother Sun 22-Mar-20 07:44:35

That’s sensible of the NT. I had a feeling that the car parks would be rammed. We brits like the thought of a bargain and we will even risk our lives for one!

vegansrock Sun 22-Mar-20 08:03:34

Our local big park was crammed with kids and families yesterday ( told by my son who went out for a run ) maybe they will shut parks like they have in France if people are just going to crowd together in open spaces.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 08:14:42

Lots of pictures of seaside resorts as busy as on a summer day and all the cafes and amusement galleries open, despite the ban.

People just do not 'get' it -and it is mainly younger people, not the over-70s, who realise just how dangerous this virus is to them and are hunkering down.

Jodee Mon 23-Mar-20 14:47:29

Anyone else in a similar situation to me? My daughter was due to return to work at the end of her maternity leave next week and I was going to do the childcare. She works in the admin department of a nursery school which is closed except to about 7 vulnerable children. Most staff are at home but not, apparently, admin staff except those who are vulnerable. She assumed she would also be at home until school reopens but has just learned that she is expected to be there. Advice is that grandparents do not see children, which we have not been doing, but if she has to go to work, I will have to, which is going against government guidelines. There must be other people in similar situations. Anyone any ideas as to what our options are?

Hithere Mon 23-Mar-20 14:59:15

How about your son? Can he take care if his own kids so his wife can work?

Hazel731 Tue 24-Mar-20 09:26:32

could she take the baby with her?

Petalou44 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:03:23

Jodee you have my sympathy. My daughter is a Social Worker. Schools are closed so her three children are home. She's trying to work from home but finding g it impossible to care for her children 3, 7 & 9. Her husband left them when the youngest was born. I live round the corner from her. I'm 66 and pretty healthy (so not high risk). Obviously I want to help with childcare so she can do her important work. Ex not offering to help as his Dad has had Cancer. Dilemma.

norma1946 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:14:35

My GD aged 3yrs gave her cuddle blanket to my son with instructions to "tell Nana to stroke her face with this and she will feel much better", Not seen her for 2 weeks, usually mind her 3 days a week. Missing her.

Maybellex Tue 24-Mar-20 22:45:28

Hi Jodee, i'm new here and joined Gransnet to find out the answer to the dilemma you're facing. I'm 61 have had a cold so have self isolated for 2 weeks. Normally look after my 15 month old granddaughter 1 to 2 days a week who can still go to nursery apparently as Mum works in a bank which is keyworker role. Why when she has a toddler. I'm wondering if I or my husband should move in with them and create a new household as we cant visit them. My other daughter is 33 weeks pregnant so I'm thinking I might move in with her after she's had the baby. SO confused and not sure if this is allowed.