Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Cleaner......what are the rest of you doing?

(35 Posts)
nana5852 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:58:54

We have a weekly visit from our cleaner. She has just called to say that because her little boy is with her at home and she has no childcare she cannot come for the foreseeable future. In the past he has come with her during school holidays and is a sweet,well behaved little lad.
Question... if we arranged to go for a drive whilst she came would we still have any significant risk?
Would that be more of a risk than living in increasing squalor?
Obviously we will try to keep on top of things but I’m disabled and my husband old and getting tired already.
I’d appreciate thoughts on this as I know she’d like to come if it’s reasonably safe for us all.

nana5852 Sun 22-Mar-20 11:42:54

Thank you gnetters! I have perused you’re responses with interest and they will undoubtedly inform how I proceed. Enjoyed the asides too.8

crazyH Sun 22-Mar-20 00:10:50

Oh right Anniebach ...I do understand now why your granddaughter is keeping. For exactly the same reason, my daughter just rang me and said she will be dropping the Mothers Day Cards through the letter box and won't be coming in.
I don't like the idea of self isolation, but sadly we have to follow the guidelines, especially those of us who have underlying conditions ( I have Asthma and Bronchiectasis).
Hope you're doing as well as can be .....you have been through a lot ..tomorrow will be difficult for you flowers

GrannySomerset Sat 21-Mar-20 23:53:24

Our wonderful cleaner of 25 years will continue to come with obvious precautions including DH never being in the same room - which he isn’t anyway. She is not seeing her grandchildren because of her husband’s heart problems, and she is both sensible and well informed. I think we can make it work for both our sakes - for her because she needs the money, and for me because I loathe housework but like a clean and orderly house.u

pensionpat Sat 21-Mar-20 23:43:31

My house is the cleanest it’s ever been since I’m at home 24/7. Sadly, no-one will see it.

mcem Sat 21-Mar-20 21:51:06

A bit of dust and untidiness is bearable and does not qualify as squalor.
It's perfectly normal here acceptable short-term.
No cleaner and no child!

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 21:25:26

True

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 21:13:45

What is a bit of dust compared to staying well and being able to see your children , grandchildren and friends again ?

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 18:31:16

Ellan. So true , I am not going to fret over it ?

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 18:21:37

I wouldn't worry about the place Annie, nobody's going to see it. That's what I think anyway as it's more important to remain well than to worry how the place looks.

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 18:05:31

crazyH my regular cleaner is my younger granddaughter, she is afraid she could bring the virus to me, she isn’t ill,she
wants me to be safe

crazyH Sat 21-Mar-20 17:43:51

Anniebach, is your regular cleaner not well ? I'm sure you won't be living in squalor ? I remember the 2 little boys who grew up with my son were always wrapped up with hats, gloves, the full works....my boys had adequate clothing but not over the top. And guess who had the most colds and coughs? Similarly with cleanliness....you can be tooooo clean !!

Luckygirl Sat 21-Mar-20 17:33:21

I guess my worry would be airborne bugs which will be released into the air in your home while they are there and will settle everywhere and remain in the air. My feeling would be not to have the cleaner and her child there even if you are out. I know that sounds a bit draconian, but it does sound as though you cannot be too careful in your circumstances.

Not sure where you might get a clear answer to this question.

I have a cleaner fortnightly and will ask her not to come - she would have to bring two children with her - and they are a right pair of rascals, so, even if I was not there, I would not trust them to obey any sort of rules!

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 17:33:14

I truly don’t know what to do, have a cleaner who I don’t know or
settle for squalor

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 17:28:37

Riverwalk the gloves might help, providing he changes them between customers, but doubt if the neckerchief will do much good! Still, the picture you painted made me smile

sodapop Sat 21-Mar-20 17:26:15

Social distancing appears to mean different things to different people. I really think the lady should not be taking her child into other people's houses.

Riverwalk Sat 21-Mar-20 16:28:14

My ironing man has just come to collect, looking like a cross between the Lone Ranger and a bank robber! Gloves and a neckerchief up over his nose smile

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 16:20:31

That's good, suziewoozie, that you don't give a flying fig, would hate to think of you being upset.

I find it "interesting" that you haven't actually been able to explain what you are accusing me of being a "victim" of?

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 16:04:39

So far as I know, no one posting on GN is a registered doctor, let alone virologist and therefore no-ones previous background is relevant in terms of what it is safe to do - it’s fine to opine what we wouldn’t do because that’s not putting anyone at risk. There was wrong information given yesterday on GN about ibuprofen but I bothered to do the current link to DH. We all need to be very careful on social media and actually, if we want specific advice, we should be using DH or PHE websites. If that’s my being prickly and indignant, I don’t actually give a flying fig.

Riverwalk Sat 21-Mar-20 16:02:53

I agree that going out for a ride to avoid direct contact is a good idea, given your and husband's circumstances; and agree with Charleygirl's advice.

The young mother, who probably is in need of the money, is not coming to perform surgery merely clean the house.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 16:01:52

If you say so phoenix if you say so.

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 15:53:54

glammanana I agree with you!

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 15:50:30

suziewoozie I don't play silly mind games, and was definitely not "playing the victim"

(Victim of what?)

confused

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 15:46:02

Then why mention her medical background phoenix ? She didn’t ( quite rightly) so I simply cannot understand why you did - it is completely irrelevant. I think you were being quite prickly frankly phoenix . Stop playing the victim

glammanana Sat 21-Mar-20 15:43:29

Susiewoosie Nana5852's home will probably be cleaner than it has ever been when her cleaner has finished with or without her little boy,sometimes we can go over the top with cleaning and cause more problems.

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 15:40:27

Does she clean anyone else’s home? Does she provide her own cleaning materials? If the answer is No to both questions, then as long as you can be certain she washes her hands before she comes in to your house and before she leaves, it’s less of a risk . Also,she may be infected with cv without knowing about it ....