Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Cleaner......what are the rest of you doing?

(34 Posts)
nana5852 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:58:54

We have a weekly visit from our cleaner. She has just called to say that because her little boy is with her at home and she has no childcare she cannot come for the foreseeable future. In the past he has come with her during school holidays and is a sweet,well behaved little lad.
Question... if we arranged to go for a drive whilst she came would we still have any significant risk?
Would that be more of a risk than living in increasing squalor?
Obviously we will try to keep on top of things but I’m disabled and my husband old and getting tired already.
I’d appreciate thoughts on this as I know she’d like to come if it’s reasonably safe for us all.

Lollin Sat 21-Mar-20 14:16:47

I'd ask her, as it sounds good reason to get out for a bit. Maybe her little boy could wear disposable gloves if he's old enough not to be upset by the idea. Otherwise she could keep an eye on anything he touches to clean again if necessary.

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:26:28

All the child needs to do is wash his hands when he comes into the house and again before he leaves. He does not need to wear gloves. It is a good idea the pair of you go for a drive. You will feel better and you will return to a clean house. Your cleaner probably needs the money. Keep well clear of them both when they arrive and when you return.

yggdrasil Sat 21-Mar-20 14:55:16

I'm in the same situation with my cleaner. I agree with Charley girl and that is what I shall do.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 15:00:33

Is it really that simple Charley ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:01:37

If only

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 15:19:21

Charleygirl has a medical background.

I think that thorough hand washing and sensible precautions should be practiced.

Sadly, it is impossible to create a germ free environment, we just have to do the best we can.

I think the suggestions 're going for a drive etc seem sensible. Perhaps ask the cleaner to wipe down surfaces with a bleach or disinfectant solution (providing of course you have or can get either) will actually mean that the house is "cleaner" than it would be under normal circumstances.

If the OP and DH do not come into contact with the cleaner or her child, it meets the advice given on social distancing and by doing a wipe down of the hard surfaces with the right products, could actually benefit.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 15:27:11

I doubt Charley is a qualified and practising virologist and doubt that what she advised would meet universal agreement. Utterly ridiculous to say that someone on GN having a ‘medical background’ means that we should accept their advice without a link to current DH or PHE advice. It’s one thing to advise AGAINST potentially risky behaviour quite another to think someone’s advice is a green light to actually do something that may have a risk attached.

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 15:31:22

Oh suziewoozie I didn't imply that she was, and neither did I imply that "we" should accept ANY advice on here!

Fed up with your prickly, indignant posts.

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 15:40:27

Does she clean anyone else’s home? Does she provide her own cleaning materials? If the answer is No to both questions, then as long as you can be certain she washes her hands before she comes in to your house and before she leaves, it’s less of a risk . Also,she may be infected with cv without knowing about it ....

glammanana Sat 21-Mar-20 15:43:29

Susiewoosie Nana5852's home will probably be cleaner than it has ever been when her cleaner has finished with or without her little boy,sometimes we can go over the top with cleaning and cause more problems.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 15:46:02

Then why mention her medical background phoenix ? She didn’t ( quite rightly) so I simply cannot understand why you did - it is completely irrelevant. I think you were being quite prickly frankly phoenix . Stop playing the victim

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 15:50:30

suziewoozie I don't play silly mind games, and was definitely not "playing the victim"

(Victim of what?)

confused

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 15:53:54

glammanana I agree with you!

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 16:01:52

If you say so phoenix if you say so.

Riverwalk Sat 21-Mar-20 16:02:53

I agree that going out for a ride to avoid direct contact is a good idea, given your and husband's circumstances; and agree with Charleygirl's advice.

The young mother, who probably is in need of the money, is not coming to perform surgery merely clean the house.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 16:04:39

So far as I know, no one posting on GN is a registered doctor, let alone virologist and therefore no-ones previous background is relevant in terms of what it is safe to do - it’s fine to opine what we wouldn’t do because that’s not putting anyone at risk. There was wrong information given yesterday on GN about ibuprofen but I bothered to do the current link to DH. We all need to be very careful on social media and actually, if we want specific advice, we should be using DH or PHE websites. If that’s my being prickly and indignant, I don’t actually give a flying fig.

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 16:20:31

That's good, suziewoozie, that you don't give a flying fig, would hate to think of you being upset.

I find it "interesting" that you haven't actually been able to explain what you are accusing me of being a "victim" of?

Riverwalk Sat 21-Mar-20 16:28:14

My ironing man has just come to collect, looking like a cross between the Lone Ranger and a bank robber! Gloves and a neckerchief up over his nose smile

sodapop Sat 21-Mar-20 17:26:15

Social distancing appears to mean different things to different people. I really think the lady should not be taking her child into other people's houses.

phoenix Sat 21-Mar-20 17:28:37

Riverwalk the gloves might help, providing he changes them between customers, but doubt if the neckerchief will do much good! Still, the picture you painted made me smile

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 17:33:14

I truly don’t know what to do, have a cleaner who I don’t know or
settle for squalor

Luckygirl Sat 21-Mar-20 17:33:21

I guess my worry would be airborne bugs which will be released into the air in your home while they are there and will settle everywhere and remain in the air. My feeling would be not to have the cleaner and her child there even if you are out. I know that sounds a bit draconian, but it does sound as though you cannot be too careful in your circumstances.

Not sure where you might get a clear answer to this question.

I have a cleaner fortnightly and will ask her not to come - she would have to bring two children with her - and they are a right pair of rascals, so, even if I was not there, I would not trust them to obey any sort of rules!

crazyH Sat 21-Mar-20 17:43:51

Anniebach, is your regular cleaner not well ? I'm sure you won't be living in squalor ? I remember the 2 little boys who grew up with my son were always wrapped up with hats, gloves, the full works....my boys had adequate clothing but not over the top. And guess who had the most colds and coughs? Similarly with cleanliness....you can be tooooo clean !!

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 18:05:31

crazyH my regular cleaner is my younger granddaughter, she is afraid she could bring the virus to me, she isn’t ill,she
wants me to be safe