Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Plea from a mum (not me, shared with me by a friend)

(146 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 21-Mar-20 22:32:01

Coronavirus is NOT a joke. Please stop brushing it under the carpet and putting not only your own lives at risk but everyone else's just because you want to go to the pub, or to a restaurant or think you need 7 packs of 24 toilet rolls- god knows why ??‍♀️

As a Covid-19 positive household I've seen the effects it has. I've had to watch my 5yr old son go from having all the energy in the world to not moving, not eating, hardly drinking or urinating. His temperature wouldn't go below the 40's and at its highest was 42.3 which caused vomiting, I watched him hallucinating and crying from the headache, being taken to hospital by ambulance to be put in isolation pods and be swapped for the virus and confirmed positive. He lay in the hospital bed and asked me if he was going to die - as a mother that is heartbreaking ?? his blood sugar levels were only 3.7, his respiratory rate was 18-20 and his heart rate was 180, the sweat was pouring out of him but he was shivering, he was panting for breath and he had photophobia.

As his mom and not being able to do anything for him has been one of the worst experiences of my life. So please, just stay in for a little while, so what if you can't do all your normal things, the sooner everybody does social distancing, the sooner it will be over.

I am not posting this for attention or sympathy, as I could of done that the day he got sick, I just want people to stay safe. Please think of your health and others ❤️

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 23:36:44

Why are we getting so many threads based on the proposition that every last one of us is ignoring all pleas for us to strictly socially distance and are dancing the wild fandango inside some illicit bar.

Have the holy jos writing these texts actually read any of the discussions on this site and noticed that about 95% of those posting are absolutely at one with the need for social distancing and that many are taking it to levels well above that recommended by the government.

It is patronising and rude not to have checked how people are responding to an issue before posting a text that assumes we are all renegades, when it is abundantly clear we are not.

Artdecogran Sat 21-Mar-20 23:42:04

Monica what a nasty, bitter and twisted and self righteous reply to a desperate message. My heart goes out to the poster. If even one person doesn’t go to the hairdressers etc then it was worthwhile. Hope that the little boy gets better soon.

GrannySomerset Sat 21-Mar-20 23:45:56

Right as usual, Monica. We are taking a short daily walk (need to keep DH active) but avoiding others. I am still doing our shopping but avoiding the supermarkets and using small local shops at quiet times and much less frequently than normal. We have no family close by so need to be as independent as possible for as long as possible.

Our little Close is planning a coffee morning tomorrow, all wrapped up warmly outside but at least two metres apart. I will need to wear my hearing aids, and obviously no scandal can be exchanged, but it will be nice to see someone other than DH.

dizzyblonde Sun 22-Mar-20 00:17:23

I’m sure you have shared this with the very best of intentions GagaJo and although I don’t doubt this child was poorly, there are a few things that, from a clinical perspective do not ring quite true. I think we should all be careful about sharing unproven stories especially at this particular time when people are already so anxious.

Eloethan Sun 22-Mar-20 00:51:39

I think the use of the word "mom" suggests that this story comes from the US. I agree with dizzyblonde that we have no proof that it is genuine. It seems rather odd to me that someone should place emojis within text that purports to relate to a true account and a very serious issue.

I too will continue to go out for walks in the open air, so long as I have none of the typical symptoms of the virus. I shall keep a safe distance from other people. I think, for older people especially, it is essential to get out of the house and to exercise - both for mental and physical health. Muscles start to waste, joints seize up, balance and confidence starts to wane and, ultimately, mobility can be badly affected if there is an extended period of lack of exercise.

Missfoodlove Sun 22-Mar-20 01:20:43

I am sick of reading a this tripe.
The majority of it is fake news, always a friend of a friend!

I have been sent cures.... apparently a hairdryer and a water spray will kill the virus.
An article on petrol pumps being the main spreader..... yes really!!
A classic saying 5G was the culprit and another telling me it was George Souros trying to bring down Trump.

Please stop it does not help.

Let us find something positive to focus on.

Today’s good news is no new cases in Wuhan.

GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 01:34:38

It’s genuine. She’s a mum of 3 from Kent. He’s her middle child.

Pass on by if you have no compassion. Such viciousness. The selfish generation.

Lyndiloo Sun 22-Mar-20 01:50:03

I think it's a very dangerous and unwelcome response to assume that a post is 'fake'. (Not to mention, unkind.)

If nothing else, this post reminds us to take care of ourselves and each other at this very upsetting and anxious time.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Mar-20 01:50:06

West Midlands ambulance in the picture?

Hetty58 Sun 22-Mar-20 02:08:46

People seem to send these messages on in good faith but it's always from a friend of a relative or cousin of a friend etc. I'm amazed that a distressed mother would be taking pictures of a child very poorly in hospital!

rosecarmel Sun 22-Mar-20 02:51:14

I've posted this before and will post it again- 14 (it keeps increasing) people from the same family contracted the virus- 4 died- 2 were in critical condition- Their family name is Fusco, they are from NJ-

In the coming weeks as the virus toll escalates, many stories we read about or see will seem unbelievable- In my state, the age of the infected range from 1 - 91- A recent study released in the journal Pediatrics revealed that 6% of children that contract the virus suffer severe to critical symptoms-

The story in the OP may be fake- The data from the study isn't-

BlueBelle Sun 22-Mar-20 04:10:19

I m confused now a family in Kent with a West Midlands ambulance and no idea what your post means rose have we gone from Kent / West Midlands to New Jersey what is the relevance
We all know it’s killing people
We all know that people do get better
I am sure that most people on this site are taking things very seriously and doing their best to stay away from others posting these heart breaking pictures and stories aren’t going to help.
Our mental health will severely suffer if we are in overkill of bad and scary information
Perhaps you should post this on fb to all the young people who are still out and about not here where most of us are trying to conform and not to go down the drain mentally
Thanks missfoodlove

dizzyblonde Sun 22-Mar-20 09:00:58

I am not vicious nor lacking in compassion. I’m a paramedic which is why I say it doesn’t make sense clinically, he’s supposed to have a heart rate of 180 and a very low reap rate. Those 2 very rarely go together and the picture is of him sitting up in an ambulance, not on oxygen, looking alert, a good colour, obviously not photophobic. He doesn’t have a cannula in even when in hospital. If he had that combination of symptoms and was dangerously ill he would have been on the stretcher with oxygen on and with something across his eyes as he would be visibly distressed with pain.
If she’s a Mum from Kent then it’s hundreds of miles outside West mids area. In my experience Mums of seriously I’ll children don’t stop to take photos of their children en route to hospital. They’re too busy reassuring and praying that they’ll be ok.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Mar-20 09:09:57

Good post Dizzyblone

Parsley3 Sun 22-Mar-20 09:19:20

I am with Monica on this one. Preaching to the converted is getting tiresome. My family and friends are taking this very seriously indeed.

ninathenana Sun 22-Mar-20 09:34:17

I'm born and bred in Kent. I've never spelt or pronounced the word as "mom"
Well spotted re: the ambulance.
Gagajo I'm nit saying you didn't post this in good faith.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Mar-20 09:41:58

Spot on dizzyblonde - it's hardly a photoshoot opportunity and (ashamed to say) I actually wondered if she was pouting behind that mask!

Shelmiss Sun 22-Mar-20 09:56:37

We all see things like this all day every day in the media - I don’t think we need to see this here too.

MawB Sun 22-Mar-20 10:11:28

Sensible and reasoned post Dizzyblonde thank you. I am not disputing the tragedy for any mother seeing her child suffering, but I do question this trend to publicise everything on social media.
There is a theatrical, even voyeuristic element to Facebook isn’t there? Looking in on the experiences of others - good or bad- when it is none of our business. We can feel compassion without having personal pictures in our face and “experiencing” the pain of others - but at secondhand.
It makes me uncomfortable and at the present time adds to the extreme reactions of so many.
Just a thought.

craftyone Sun 22-Mar-20 10:18:36

I am with Monica, I have not flown anywhere, haven`t travelled anywhere, have not stayed with family, have isolated myself, have not wiped shelves of food. I am sick of people who say `do what I say` and do not practice what they preach

Most of us are quietly beavering away at not infecting others

Newmom101 Sun 22-Mar-20 10:37:53

I’m pretty sure this post is true, she’s from the midlands though, just outside of Birmingham, which explains the use of ‘mom’. Brummies all say mom, not just Americans!

I don’t like the sharing of photos of unwell children on Facebook though, it’s not fair on the child. Also, lots of the people I’ve known share this on social media are also posting photos of them meeting family and friends this weekend, bloody hypocrites.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Mar-20 11:11:27

Sensible, well reasoned post dizzyblonde, thanks for the clarity.

Agree with M0nica too.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 11:25:31

The story of the family in New Jersey who have lost at least four members with others very sick has been reported in the newspapers, complete with photographs and fully verified. My heart goes out to families like that and it brings home the true horror of this virus.

I have a grandson who has several times had infections that have gone critical and he has been blued and twoed to hospital. His parents both write for a living, but were they to be writing a piece on their childs dilemma and danger I very much doubt that it would have been such a finely honed piece of emotive writing with clinical details etc etc. That, as Wordsworth described it is 'feelings reflected in tranquility' not the hard raw emotion of immediate suffering.

But what ever the rights and wrongs of this piece. It wasn't the author who posted it but a regular GN member who must be aware that GN members, all except a small minority, are entirely compliant with all the guidanceand that this piece as Parsley said, is preaching to the converted, and it is irritating.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Mar-20 11:40:58

Thank you M0nica, you've said what I feel about it perfectly.