Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Plea from a mum (not me, shared with me by a friend)

(147 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 21-Mar-20 22:32:01

Coronavirus is NOT a joke. Please stop brushing it under the carpet and putting not only your own lives at risk but everyone else's just because you want to go to the pub, or to a restaurant or think you need 7 packs of 24 toilet rolls- god knows why ??‍♀️

As a Covid-19 positive household I've seen the effects it has. I've had to watch my 5yr old son go from having all the energy in the world to not moving, not eating, hardly drinking or urinating. His temperature wouldn't go below the 40's and at its highest was 42.3 which caused vomiting, I watched him hallucinating and crying from the headache, being taken to hospital by ambulance to be put in isolation pods and be swapped for the virus and confirmed positive. He lay in the hospital bed and asked me if he was going to die - as a mother that is heartbreaking ?? his blood sugar levels were only 3.7, his respiratory rate was 18-20 and his heart rate was 180, the sweat was pouring out of him but he was shivering, he was panting for breath and he had photophobia.

As his mom and not being able to do anything for him has been one of the worst experiences of my life. So please, just stay in for a little while, so what if you can't do all your normal things, the sooner everybody does social distancing, the sooner it will be over.

I am not posting this for attention or sympathy, as I could of done that the day he got sick, I just want people to stay safe. Please think of your health and others ❤️

Callistemon Sun 22-Mar-20 19:58:17

Don't apologise, I thought it was funny smile

Take care, I know you will, but please take extra care Merryweather

Merryweather Sun 22-Mar-20 19:56:13

Sorry @carllistemon. Fat pregnancy fingers and brain to boot. 15 days! Not that I’m counting or anything.

GrandmaMia1 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:54:38

I am not wasting anymore of my time on this. Stay safe everyone.

Merryweather Sun 22-Mar-20 19:54:35

Your garden with tinned good as wrights to alternate lifting. Do yoga or Pilates there’s plenty on you tube. Do inking crosswords or play chess.
There’s no need to go out every day!
We’ve all been told to stay in so why are so many ignoring the advice. The government will make us do it if you don’t voluntarily isolate and stay in!

Chewbacca Sun 22-Mar-20 19:54:31

It made me laugh too Callistemon! grin

Callistemon Sun 22-Mar-20 19:53:41

No, we haven't been told to stay in our own homes, only the very vulnerable and advised for over 70s
Some people have to work.

Jaxie Sun 22-Mar-20 19:53:41

Let’s stop sniping at one another: if Gransnetters make insensitive comments we have to conclude they are prisoners to an uncompassionate outlook that means they have probably been disappointed and their responses warped by the treatment they have received from others in the past. Such people are hard to like, but we have to try. I’m not a holy jo preacher either, just someone very grateful for the kindnesses shown to me, a very critical person by nature. ( Dreadful syntax but written from the heart.).

Callistemon Sun 22-Mar-20 19:51:28

Merryweather
I know that's a typo but it made me laugh!!

Callistemon Sun 22-Mar-20 19:50:42

Xrgran time for you to give them a reality check! Will they listen? Facts and figures and advice from the CMO and CSO may persuade them

Merryweather Sun 22-Mar-20 19:50:19

For gods sake
Just satay inside your own homes as you have been told to do!
Walk around your fard

Callistemon Sun 22-Mar-20 19:47:28

Flowerofthewest I was surprised to read your post, you are normally very kind.

I do think hat M0nica is very sensible - I may not always agree with her posts but I do on this occasion.

We should follow guidelines and that is what she says she is doing. However, if we need to do more to protect ourselves, that is fine for those who may be very vulnerable or to protect others near us.

MerylStreep Sun 22-Mar-20 19:45:40

GrandmaMial
I'm afraid your missing the point which MOnica pointed out very quickly. The point being that the vast majority of posters aren't brushing it under the carpet
The OP is a regular poster on GN so 'we' know that she reads most of the posts. She knows how the vast majority of us feel. She doesn't need to ram it down our throats.
Have a look on FB. This 'moms' post has been taken down.
I wonder why?

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 19:40:37

Well, I know no-one who is not taking it very seriously indeed and following all the guidelines the government and Public Health England have laid down.

Flowerofthewest What a ridiculous thing to say, you have no idea how happy I am or whether there is any room for more happiness. I am not remotely bitter but I am practical and pragmatic and refuse to join in the hysteria that is gripping some people and I dislike emotional blackmail and will not succumb to it.

GrandmaMia1 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:34:27

Don’t you people have anything else to do but bitch about a post? Shame the energy isn’t put to better use.

Haydnpat Sun 22-Mar-20 19:30:02

Well said dizzyblonde

Xrgran Sun 22-Mar-20 19:29:42

Not many people are taking this seriously and my 82year old mother allows her daughter to visit every day without any precautions and a daughter who believes this is just hype????

dorcas1950 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:26:13

I agree with MOnica.

Summerlove Sun 22-Mar-20 19:19:43

I am not saying the threat is not real but I think most older people are very aware of how to cope and be responsible.

You should read the posts on mumsnet from all of the 30/40/50 somethings who are terrified that their parents are not actually taking this seriously and still living life as normal.

Not everybody is taking this seriously. Across all age groups.

Flowerofthewest Sun 22-Mar-20 19:15:38

MONICA. How downright nasty. Are you really so bitter to make such comments.

Guineagirl Sun 22-Mar-20 19:03:49

Eloethan, some people like you are brilliantly articulate, I’m not but that’s just what I think. I go out as ive said before every day for the last eleven years on bike 80 miles upwards per week. It has helped my joints, muscles, depression, and untold heart benefits and I will continue I cycle down a lane where no cars go and is a hard incline so families don’t go. I just hope people behave as the government will stop this been allowed and all the hard work my body will de condition so bad I’m as worried of this as the virus itself.

MaCartney33 Sun 22-Mar-20 18:56:01

I am new to Gransnet and after reading the responses I am horrified and ashamed to think women of my generation could be so malicious and vindictive. In a world in crisis we should be supporting each other and doing our very best to be considerate and helpful to each other. Monica be kind and you will be a happier person for it.

maddyone Sun 22-Mar-20 18:54:51

Googes41
Thank you for responding. I’m sure there will be many on here who have children who are key workers, but there are few professionals quite as much in the front line as doctors and nurses. I understand how you feel about your daughter in London, and it is made so much worse for you because your son is in Italy in lockdown and another son in New York which is also badly affected. Please PM me for support if you would like to.

maddyone Sun 22-Mar-20 18:37:22

Flakesdayout and gagsy
I empathise with your posts. I totally agree that whether the OP is true or not, it does bring home the seriousness of the situation. Older people or people with underlying conditions are most at risk of dying, but we should not be complacent because younger people are getting it too. We only need to look at Italy to see what will happen her in a few weeks. Children can get Coronavirus but thankfully they recover, but we should not believe they cannot get it. They can.

Maremia Sun 22-Mar-20 18:06:35

Sorry, I keep forgetting this is an international forum, but you will have worked out that the 'shielding' is for the English.

Maremia Sun 22-Mar-20 18:02:49

At the briefing from Downing Street just now, they are going to 'shield' one and a half million of the most vulnerable, with stringent 'stay at home' support. Those people will be informed by letter, I think.