Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

husbands working from home

(154 Posts)
Hazel731 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:14:36

My husband is working from home. I was trying to make food last but he has other ideas, he eats breakfast, lunch and dinner all with a snack after and then every time inbetween meals I find him eating whatever he can find. When I complained he called me a control freak. He also sits with only a shirt on then complains its cold and turns the heating on or up, whats wrong with wearing a jumper and putting a blanket over his lap like he does when hes not working.
Driving me mad already! Anyone else got these problems?

LaRia44 Fri 27-Mar-20 17:08:32

I’m new GN, but so glad I joined you, especially at this terrible time. Some ladies are so spirited and then there’s Grandad 1943, venturing where no man should boldly go, but he does, undeterred.
I feel for you who are grieving, missing your loved ones, and enjoy the lively sharing of views

LaRia44 Fri 27-Mar-20 16:49:41

SallyB392, good to hear you and your husband are growing closer. You didn’t say if he is home due to the virus, I suspect that he has already retired and you have reached a lovely acceptance of each other already.

Ohmother Fri 27-Mar-20 07:58:17

My DH is moaning about me being on my phone. I put it down and join him lounging in the garden. It’s then he asks me ‘ Did .... reply to your text?’ ‘Have the bin men changed their day?’

Laughterlines Thu 26-Mar-20 20:51:29

Keep on posting whinges about husbands. It’s so funny and we all need a laugh today. I am sure a lot of them are fiction but it doesn’t matter.

Lighten up or don’t read these posts if you think it may upset you. Nobody is forcing you, there is no exam at the end.

Stay cool everybody we can do this.

SallyB392 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:27:15

I'm really lucky, we are finding that in the case of my husband and I, the coronovirus is bringing us closer together. We do jobs together in the morning, then after lunch we take our dog out for a long walk. On our return, he makes me tea, so that I can takes some meds (pain is pretty unbearable by this time), at around 3.30 I start on dinner.

grannyactivist Thu 26-Mar-20 00:22:01

I am working from home, but then I've been doing that more or less continuously for the past six months during a protracted illness. I am making telephone calls, sending copious emails, trying to organise training, and catching up with a mountain of admin that includes writing case studies for my MP. My husband has also been working from home for the past three weeks - in order to protect my health he brought his work things home well before the government advice was issued. He starts work at 7am (sometimes a little earlier) and tries to finish between 4-5pm. He then very kindly takes food to my clients (and his parents) and has a chat (at a great distance) to ensure that they're staying mentally and physically well.

In the evenings he's doing some major building alterations to his office, which means that he's currently working from the dining room in the middle of the house and I'm enjoying the fact that he's home (he usually works away a great deal). I rarely interact with him as he's either on a conference call or deep in report writing or designing, but every now and again he asks my opinion on something. We have always had discussions about our work and so I'm enjoying having a glimpse into his work processes. I proof read his written work so I'm quite familiar with that, but I rarely get to see his designs in progress and now I have a much more informed understanding of the complexities involved.

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 23:46:36

When DH tries to sort out the kitchen and throw out things - "you haven't used this in a while" I kindly offer to go and sort out his garage cum workshop.
That usually works quite rapidly.

SirChenjin Wed 25-Mar-20 21:46:16

5 of us working from home - DH, me, the elder 2 working on various university things and the youngest struggling with remote schooling.

To say that tensions are rising is an understatement - but in comparison to what previous generations had to contend with we’ve got it easy.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 25-Mar-20 21:04:14

DH has been home for over 3 weeks now as he has been ill.
Thanks to him, my cupboards have all been rearranged, apparently, although we have lived here for over 20 years, my kitchen ‘doesn’t work’
The fridge is almost permanently empty, ‘why isn’t there any cheese’ (because he’s eaten it all as a ‘little snack’)
He can’t understand how I ever find anything in the shed, so that will be sorted soon.
The garden is ‘unruly’ and will soon be tamed ( no it won’t)
Yet the bathroom which should be condemned, will ‘wait until all of this is over’ , I guess I’ll give him this one as I don’t want builders in the house at the moment.
I know I have to pick my battles , and I love him to bits, but please , please when can he go back to work?

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 20:15:37

grumppa hello!

Yes, we have had time to adjust having retired a while ago.
I must say, though, that I have probably spent ages muttering under my breath about all the time DH was spending in his garage/workshop but now I wish he would as he is being very "helpful" around the house.
Although, with the better weather, he has been out in the garden.
But so have I, probably annoying him.

Grandad1943 Wed 25-Mar-20 19:54:17

grumppa
??? I am very glad of the company. ???

grumppa Wed 25-Mar-20 19:50:14

Given that Gransnetters use lots of threads to have a wholehearted but often amusing whinge about everything under the sun, I don't see why spouses should be exempt, just because most of them happen to be men.

Partners retiring or starting to work from home cannot help upsetting longstanding routines. Looking back, I was lucky to go from fulltime employee to part time self-employed to full retirement, which gave DW and me plenty of years to adjust.

Surely good-humoured grumbling is what we all need at the moment. [I hope I haven't slipped into mansplaining, but I seem to be only the second male to have ventured on to this thread.]

Grandad1943 Wed 25-Mar-20 19:17:11

Callistemon in regard to your post @18:33, in your post @17:07 you stated quote [ Hats off to all who are able to work at this time, whether from home or on the front line.] End Quote

In the above, there can be no comparison between persons working from home and those who have to physically attend their place of work.

In the first instance, there is a far higher risk of contracting Covid-19 due to the number of people employed in many workplaces that makes social distancing virtually impossible and regular washing of hands difficult.

There is also for many key workers all the poor conditions and problems that I laid out in my post @18:09 and in other posts I have made in this thread.

Therefore Callistemon in regard to your above statement "Hats off to all who are able to work at this time, whether from home or on the front line" I am in complete disagreement with. There can be no comparison in the terms, risks and conditions of employees working from home and those physically attending a workplace many of whom are the true key workers in this unprecedented crisis.

I state openly again that wish to demonstrate my complete appreciation of all those who are providing the essential services we in Britain are reliant on by attending their workplaces in their key worker roles.

Of course, appreciation should be offered to others working from home but those roles hold no comparison to on-site key worker services.

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 18:33:08

If you read my post, Grandad, you would not have answered in the way you did.

trisher Wed 25-Mar-20 18:30:51

Grandad1943 that's the trouble with Academies. They are a law unto themselves and mostly about providing education on the cheap. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the teachers don't even have contracts and aren't actually employed now.

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 18:30:22

Therefore Callistemon I would wish to witness real appreciation being shown for the above groups of workers alongside many others who physically attend their places of work often at far heightened risk to themselves and under severe operating conditions. They are the people who are really providing the services that all of us are totally reliant on in these unprecedented times, and I for one state openly how much i value and appreciate all that they are doing.

And that is exactly what I just said, Grandad, not just lorry drivers but all on the front line too.

Including my family who are working in hospitals, heroes all of them in the NHS.

smile

I am sorry that your DGC attend such a poor school. I can assure you that my DGC's schools are so much better than that. What a pity.

Grannynannywanny Wed 25-Mar-20 18:22:29

My firefighter son in law texted to say he was working from home today. While I was wondering how he could possibly do so he sent me this photo

Grandad1943 Wed 25-Mar-20 18:09:59

Callistemon in regard to your post @17:07 today, as my wife and I are experiencing in the present crisis situation working from home is far easier than compared to those which have to physically attend their places of work. In that, those working from home can remain safe and can choose the time of working and hours they apply for each session of working.

However, many key workers at their places of work are at present being requested to undertake training for jobs other than that which they normally carry out so as to replace those that normally do those tasks should they become ill. The foregoing training is usually carried in addition to the tasks that the employee normally undertakes.

Those attending their places of work especially in the health sector and transport are working exceptionally long hours in these present unprecedented times. Many in the health sector such as one of my daughters are being informed that the can be called on to work anywhere in the country dependent on crisis needs.

In transport and distribution those employed in this countries huge food distribution centres, many are working twelve to fourteen-hour shifts and a high number those have not had a full rest day in over two weeks.

Britains HGV truck drivers are working up to sixteen-hour shifts under the crisis emergency regulations, and when pulling into service areas for rest are finding food outlets closed down, toilets closed and dirty portaloo toilets being left in parking areas for their use without even any running water for those drivers to wash their hands.

Therefore Callistemon I would wish to witness real appreciation being shown for the above groups of workers alongside many others who physically attend their places of work often at far heightened risk to themselves and under severe operating conditions. They are the people who are really providing the services that all of us are totally reliant on in these unprecedented times, and I for one state openly how much i value and appreciate all that they are doing.

In regard to teachers, two of our grandchildren who both attend a large academy school here in North Somerset are saying that their school has provided very little in the way of home learning at this point in the closure. I will state no more than that.

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 17:07:08

All those criticising wish do is selfishly whinge and whine with no support whatsoever for the efforts their other halves and so many others are making in keeping their employment, their companies, and this whole nation going in a time of unprecedented crisis.

And that includes teachers doing their best for their pupils and students under such difficult circumstances.
They know that the future is at stake with these children.

Hats off to all who are able to work at this time, whether from home or on the front line.

Grandad1943 Wed 25-Mar-20 16:57:05

With approximately half our company not operating my wife has been working from home which in the case of the actual work has been going well considering it is a new experience for her. I am also working from home which is an experience I am well use to. So sitting side by side sharing the desk in the office has been no problem.

However, today was the first day that for her there was not that much work to be done. So, at about half-past eleven she looked up and said " lovely day out there so we could have a bit of lunch out on the lawn", and off she went.

A few minutes later I heard the sound of the electric lawn mower going, I sat surprised but carried on working. After about twenty-five minutes she arrived back in the office saying "mowed been mowing one of the side lawns and put some chairs out but cannot get the table out of the shed as it's like a neglected scrapyard in there. I duly left what I was doing without saying a word, and pursued to battle my way through to the back of the shed and emerged covered in cobwebs and a folding table.

In the meantime, my wife had taken my car off to the supermarket, as it was parked in front of hers, in pursuit of bread rolls. On return having successfully secured some cob rolls she found me attempting to get all the contents of the shed which I had thrown out when rescuing the table back in.

Joyful with her acquisition of the rolls and as she waved them triumphantly she said, "your car could do with a good clean out inside, it looks like a pigsty. it's a good job we cannot go out all dressed up at present because I would refuse to get in that. If it was your turn to drive."

Now, how long did they say this lockdown is to go on for.

Ohmother Wed 25-Mar-20 15:22:16

Awwww please be understanding of the OP.

I know you all miss your husbands but you were, hopefully, never put in the present situation. I found humour in her post ( never scrimp on that!) as I recognised my situation at the moment; my DH prepped the veg today and you could have fed an army!

I love the very bones of him, as I’m sure the OP does of her DH but we are only human and need to vent sometime.

Please; if you disagree having read the vent, move on rather than have a peck.

Love to all- stay safe. X

Ydoc Wed 25-Mar-20 14:39:55

Jilllybird. How true

Ydoc Wed 25-Mar-20 14:35:11

My husband retired at 52 15 years ago to say he drives me mad is a understatement. He's been self isolating for years, just watches TV remote in hand!!!

moggie57 Wed 25-Mar-20 12:46:57

has he got a thyroid problem? or just being a pain in the a...

Urmstongran Wed 25-Mar-20 10:49:36

This website could literaly save marriages, people need to vent.

Hear, hear Classic!

And thank you but no, sorry CaroleAnne. ~ why would I want to inform myself (spook myself) reading how we might have the virus? Ignorance can be bliss for us worry warts!