Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

husbands working from home

(153 Posts)
Hazel731 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:14:36

My husband is working from home. I was trying to make food last but he has other ideas, he eats breakfast, lunch and dinner all with a snack after and then every time inbetween meals I find him eating whatever he can find. When I complained he called me a control freak. He also sits with only a shirt on then complains its cold and turns the heating on or up, whats wrong with wearing a jumper and putting a blanket over his lap like he does when hes not working.
Driving me mad already! Anyone else got these problems?

anniezzz09 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:26:30

Yes, all too familiar. The impossibility of making meals last several days, the endless marmite sandwiches and he has the cheek to be as thin as a bean pole! Plus he has hands like ice but says the house is too hot and opens the windows. He does cook and sweep the floor though and yesterday I was flabbergasted to discover that he'd looked up and carefully read what to do if someone in your household gets covid19. I cant really complain!

Hazel731 Mon 23-Mar-20 13:09:56

I know we shouldn't complain, we will get used to their annoying ways soon! I am glad I've got him and feel sorry for those people on their own.

MawB Mon 23-Mar-20 14:34:50

No, my DH died two years ago.

Remind me what is annoying you?

Beechnut Mon 23-Mar-20 14:58:05

Like MawB no. I wish he was here but I also know I would be very very worried about him.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 15:37:32

Hazel are we married to the same man?

Mine is also going to ‘organise ‘ the garden, everything will be upright and neat and tidy, or they will be pruned to within an inch of their lives.

Words will need to be said and soon....

Curlywhirly Mon 23-Mar-20 15:52:54

Well mine is also working from home; he's a right teapot, would quite happily drink a cup of tea every half hour all day and night long. I am afraid to get eye contact, because I just know, no matter how many he's just had, he'll raise his eyebrows and say "any chance of a cuppa?"

Hazel731 Mon 23-Mar-20 18:08:52

I too have lost a husband and know how it feels, but we are only human and when someone continues to annoy us, we have to voice it to someone!
We all have loved ones lets look after them and all the key workers by staying at home.

Lyndylou Mon 23-Mar-20 18:09:52

I only put the heating on briefly first thing to take the chill of the house and ensure the water supply is hot. I go up for my shower, come down and he will be sat in the kitchen with the door wide open because "the dog is in the garden". Never mind that I have just paid good money to heat the neighbourhood, lets make sure the dog can come and go as he pleases. Left to his own devices the dog would sit in the open door watching the world go by and I am sure that is what he is allowed to do when I am normally at work.

MawB Mon 23-Mar-20 18:14:22

Hazel1371 and others - there are recently/ bereaved (much more recently than I) members - this whingeing about husbands getting under your feet is thoughtless -better under your feet than six feet under in the churchyard.

aggie Mon 23-Mar-20 18:32:29

well my sister and I were just talking on the phone about how this would have been so distressing for our dearly loved and much missed Husbands , and us , if they were still with us

phoenix Mon 23-Mar-20 18:50:30

Both myself & DH are currently working from home!

Have a dedicated home office but only 1 desk top pc, so could get interesting. Only so much I can do on the tablet.

Luckygirl Mon 23-Mar-20 18:59:39

I am so thankful that my OH is not here - he would have been frantic with worry about this epidemic. He was a very anxious man, with more scientific knowledge than I. He was already in a terrible state of anxiety - this would have been beyond distressing for him. I miss him more than I can say - but I could not have borne for him to have to deal with this.

threexnanny Mon 23-Mar-20 21:44:56

I'm glad that mine is here to annoy me and where I can keep an eye on him that he is not cutting any corners.

BlueSapphire Mon 23-Mar-20 22:06:02

MawB I am of the same opinion as you. I know I used to have the occasional moan about DH, but oh my goodness, what I would give to have him here with me now, when I am so afraid. Although I would hate for him to have to go through this.

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 00:03:52

phoenix I was going to ask- is it only husbands who are working from home?
Aee there no wives working from home?

Luckygirl, Mawbroon and others who have lost their dear husbands
I was just thinking today about those we have lost and thinking that at least they have been spared all this.
I still have DH but have lost other family members and dear friends of my age.

Razzy Tue 24-Mar-20 07:08:59

Mine has decided he is going to ignore the latest rules and go to work anyway. He’s self employed but doesn’t need the money. He doesn’t see how it is any risk. Because I am a keyworker he says if I can go to work he should be allowed to as well. shock

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 07:14:21

The majority of key workers are women, which maybe explains why more men are working from home.

Let's hope nobody forgets who is more important in a crisis! hmm

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 07:15:06

Razzy It's too early in the morning to write what I think of that attitude! angry

Hetty58 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:19:44

I lost my other half decades ago. I still really miss having somebody to moan about. Everything is my fault now - not his!

Grandad1943 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:28:24

Me and my wife are both working from home in the present crisis. I have been familiar with that environment for many years, but for my wife, if it is a totally new experience.

Yesterday she was about to go into our offices as she said there was data on her office PC that she could not access on the cloud system at home

I managed to persuade her that the above was not a good idea. We then both dived into the cloud database and eventually found the customer information she was looking for which had been filed in the wrong section.

For very many working from home for the first time in this crisis situation, these can be very frustrating and worrying times. All that is required by those who are at home alongside them is a little patience and consideration, and with that, just to offer a little help on occasion can enable aspects to run much smoother.

Just be grateful they are there in a safe environment and working, for very many are not.

tickingbird Tue 24-Mar-20 10:52:45

I find this criticising of the OP for having a moan so tiresome. She’s letting off steam for heaven’s sake. If it annoys you move on. I’m on my own but I don’t feel the need to carp about how lucky she is blah blah.....

To the OP, feel free to moan and ignore the misery guts on here.

AllergyAngel2 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:58:31

Someone asks...why are you complaining? Type 2 Diabetes comes to mind ?

polnan Tue 24-Mar-20 11:01:21

my dh died Nov. last year, and by heck, do I miss him and his annoying ways

that is life,,, come on.. I am happy that some of you have someone living with you,, and you have someone to moan about... let it all out..

I used to moan about my beloved...

when I do my TaiChi in the middle of the sitting room he used to come downstairs and walk across the room,
it was annoying... but hey, as I do it now I can imagine/remember what it was like

I am happy you have someone to moan about,, it is what we do isn`t it!

janeainsworth Tue 24-Mar-20 11:02:47

I’ve sadly had to ask my cleaner not to come for the duration ☹️
MrA has suggested we set aside Thursday morning (when she should be coming) and blitz the house together.
And yes I’m grateful.