Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I'm a little speechless!

(57 Posts)
Helennonotion Wed 25-Mar-20 16:39:37

twitter.com/Lilliemaenot/status/1242410885236260864

Not sure if this link will work if you don't have twitter but here goes. I can't think of any words to describe how I feel about this! Just listen.

callgirl1 Fri 27-Mar-20 23:53:04

We have carers coming in twice a day to my daughter, they wear gloves and face masks, hopefully that will be enough.
My son is being treated for lung cancer, he and his wife have been told to stay home until June.
Staying in isn`t much of a hardship to us, we hardly ever go out anyway, the hardship is not seeing the family. My new great granddaughter will be walking before we see her again, at this rate!

maddyone Fri 27-Mar-20 15:59:17

Thank you Whiff it’s helpful to me to know someone from outside the family thinks her behaviour poor. Even my mother has defended her. I recognise that they both wanted to see one another but to behave so foolishly and selfishly is almost unbelievable at this time. Of course my children were advising me all along that she shouldn’t come, and her own children, who she doesn’t speak to except for one out of the four, they rang up my mother and tried to persuade her to try to put her journey off for a while, but my mother refused to do that. They still care for my sister even though she doesn’t appear to care for them.
However it’s the vile texts that have upset me the most. I’m not sure whether to respond or not. Thank you Whiff for responding.

Pikachu Fri 27-Mar-20 07:48:54

Big party on at a house near our dog waking field yesterday.

Whiff Fri 27-Mar-20 06:56:45

Maddyone sorry your sister has treated you this way. But to be honest she's an idiot. Who on earth would risk the lives of the people they say they love. Totally irresponsible. When my daughter brought my mother's Day card and present she put it in my hall and then shouted to get it. She stood with my son in law and grandson by the fence. To protect us all. We have play dates via wapps thing on the phone with them and my son's family. My son and family are coming to the end of 2 weeks isolation because my oldest grandson had a fever. I won't need any shopping for 3 weeks and then been told in no uncertain terms they will do it. And leave it in the hall.

What's the old saying you can pick your friends but not your relatives.

Don't get sad about her attitude just get angry always found that a far better emotion.

Sorry again about they way she has treated you.

maddyone Fri 27-Mar-20 00:06:21

Soon after we were advised to not make any unnecessary journeys, my sister decided to travel on the train from Cheshire to the south coast where I live. She wanted to see our mother who lives nearby in a sheltered apartment. I had said sister could stay at our house before the advice was issued, but then I became somewhat reticent about her staying here. I had already tried to put her off coming but she was determined. She decided to stay at Mum’s instead and then went in and out to the shops most days. By this time the advice to self isolate had been given. She then travelled back to Cheshire by train. By doing what she wanted she put myself, my husband (because we did agree to pick her up from the station, but didn’t return her to the station at the end of her visit) and my mother, not to mention herself, in danger of catching the virus.
After she returned home she sent me a series of vile texts because I had backtracked on allowing her to stay in my home. Before she came I had advised her not to come because the government had recommended no further unnecessary journeys.
The vile texts have quite upset me to be honest.

PamelaJ1 Thu 26-Mar-20 23:30:23

We are holed up in a hotel in Perth. We will be incarcerated until the 29th. We have to put everything we discard into a clinical waste bag. I think that it will be pretty certain by then that we are not infected.
On the 29th we will get a taxi to the airport. Taxi drivers are disinfecting everything so contact with him will be limited and should be safe.
Then, we enter the airport ready to share a plane with hundreds of others, many of whom will have been out and about. I hope they have all been careful.

growstuff Thu 26-Mar-20 22:24:03

I didn't realise that. Presumably he/she was infected a couple of weeks ago, when instructions for self-isolation weren't so strict. Unfortunately, we're going to see a steep rise in the next few weeks of people who were infected by people who didn't even know they were infected themselves.

M0nica Thu 26-Mar-20 20:48:34

growstuff the 18 yearld had a severe underlying health condition. I believe he had cystic fibrosis, that presents mainly as a lung disease.

People with cystic fibrosis are on the list of people getting the NHS letters instructing them not to leave the house or have any personal contact with anyone else.

growstuff Thu 26-Mar-20 07:43:56

Thank you Baggs :-)

Baggs Thu 26-Mar-20 07:07:13

growstuff Good post.

Whiff Thu 26-Mar-20 05:50:35

Further to what my nephew told. I was speaking to a friend who lives in the Midlands .I moved from there last year. She hasn't been watching the news or listening to the radio. Last week she went out every day. I got very cross with her casual attitude we are good friends so I could tell her off. As I pointed out there are rules in place now not just for her protection but everyone else. She has promised to stay in and will start watching the news. She has a lot of relatives in Italy. They have been telling her what has been going on but still she was going on as normal. She didn't realise how many countries it had effected do far. Point it's not any one age group adopting this casual attitude it's a cross the board. Unfortunately it's not this type of person who will get it and if they do they will only have mild symptoms. Always thought the main problem in the world was greed it's also selfishness.

All you sensible people out there hope you are safe and stay well.

Tuppence15 Thu 26-Mar-20 03:25:37

I agree that this is not being taking seriously. I have a pending complaint about a pair of glasses with my optician. They rang yesterday and told me to pop in and pick out a new pair. I explained that I was socially distancing and didn’t think it was a good idea. The response was, “it’s up to you, we are here from 9 to 5 call in when you want”. How can you be 6 feet away while having glasses fitted?

Fiachna50 Thu 26-Mar-20 02:11:12

I don't think anyone is taking this seriously. I just need to look at my own town centre and no one has a clue about social distancing. I was trying to keep my distance from a lady in the queue for the Post Office to no àvail. Kept moving closer to me, when I said sorry, we have to keep our distance from each other, she looked at me like I was daft.

Mbuya Thu 26-Mar-20 02:04:02

It is interesting that the cat analogy made that particular person sit up and think, rather than the human factor. There is obviously truth in the saying that common sense is not that common.

Purplepixie Thu 26-Mar-20 01:22:25

I was shocked and saddened when I heard it. It is stupid people like her that will bring the world to its knees and they just cannot see it. I’m glad to self isolate along with my husband and youngest son. I haven’t seen my other children or grandchildren as they are staying safe in their own homes. I just hope people like her don’t cross my path. Stay safe. X

growstuff Thu 26-Mar-20 01:18:57

I agree with the other posters and am not going to repeat them.

Baggs Coming back to your point …

It's incredibly difficult for people to self-isolate 100%. Even if people intend to stay away from others, there will always be slip ups.

Let's imagine that only one of those old ladies is infected, but passes it on to the other.

What would happen, if the newly infected lady had fallen over in the street and twisted an ankle? I think somebody would probably go to help her and could risk catching the virus, which wouldn't have happened if the first lady hadn't given it to her.

That's why every single case of infection which is prevented stops thousands of other people from being infected and, possibly, killed.

Eloethan Thu 26-Mar-20 01:09:46

I think this woman seemed not to understand the severity of the situation.

She may well be right that most of the population will get the virus. I believe it has been reported there is already a real possibility that something like fifty per cent of the population has had or is currently suffering from the virus. I think the point she is missing is that, even though that may be true, if nothing is done to try and stop the unusual speed of transmission there will be many more people who die from a more severe form of the virus than if it is slowed down using these various measures introduced.

Doctors are already saying they are having to make difficult decisions regarding who is "most suitable" for ventilation. If thousands of people are presenting at hospital at the same time, with severe breathing difficulties, there will not be enough ventilators to keep all of them alive.

I think perhaps the presenter, instead of shouting about how irresponsible she was, could have presented her with the facts. Perhaps he could have explained the point re speed of transmission and its implications. He could have said that whilst she would usually be at liberty to forego, or take risks with, her own life, she did not have the right to, by her own behaviour, impose that risk on other people - whatever their age may be.

pensionpat Wed 25-Mar-20 23:58:11

I’ve given this a lot of thought because a couple of friends are being reckless/stupid. I think people decide they want to do something, then justify it so that they are actually making up their own rules. E.g, a friend who lives a mile away offered me some space in her garden rubbish bin because I have so much. I declined because it would be breaking the rules. She replied But you are allowed to go out if you don’t have contact with anyone. Maybe it was me that was wrong. But I’m going nowhere.

Luckygirl Wed 25-Mar-20 22:44:13

It is inevitable that some people in caring roles will have to go into the homes of those who are vulnerable - it is far from ideal, but that is how it is. It carries a risk.

But those who do not have to be visiting vulnerable people should not be doing so. Why compound the risk?

There will be cussed awkward people who will refuse to take this seriously. It was ever thus. All we can do is to stick to the guidelines.

Washerwoman Wed 25-Mar-20 21:28:55

A friend of mine daren't even go out for essential supplies as her DH is just recovering from intensive cancer treatment and also has a lung condition.They are in total lockdown,She is just praying everyone will follow the instructions.So that this is over as soon as possible.At least we can go out with our dog,check on my housebound mum and go food shopping when we absolutely must.
Then today I hear that her next door neighbour is out landscaping the garden -with her 70 year old father and his brother coming over to help.And DD and boyfriend keep popping in - because they would miss them otherwise.So selfish.

Whiff Wed 25-Mar-20 21:15:46

I spoke to my nephew who lives in the west Midlands. One of his co workers said the Coronavirus was made up to stop people having fun. He went blastic . Stupid people like this are why it's spreading like it is. Near to where he lives the police have close down pubs breaking the no opening rules. Some people are going round with blinkers on they need them ripping off. I like many are in isolation because I have health problems and need to protect myself. Have enough supplies in for 3 weeks.
Stay safe everyone.

B9exchange Wed 25-Mar-20 21:09:06

There is a clip on Twitter of a man in a crowded tube train pulling down his mask, licking his hand and rubbing it up and down deliberately on the handrail by the door. Barring mental health problems, I cannot think of any reason why anyone would dream of doing this?

Curlygirl Wed 25-Mar-20 20:58:49

Can’t believe how stupid and selfish people can be. It’s not a case of “If I get it I get It”. You will not just risk losing your own life but people you have been in contact with and medical staff who treat you. That is tantamount to murdering other people. It is no fun to isolate. We miss our family terribly. But I would rather do this for however long it takes than risks lives by being selfish. This is not like World War 2. This is a war where we are the enemy to our fellow countrymen by not staying in and risking infecting other people.Why don’t people understand?

Summerlove Wed 25-Mar-20 20:45:41

Hetty, they are selfish people who are used to getting what they want.

They’ve taught their children and grand children the same attitude.

The people I see respecting this the most are those in their 30s/40s/50s.

The ones with the most to lose financially. It’s incomprehensible.

Hetty58 Wed 25-Mar-20 20:28:00

Risky behaviours we tend to disapprove of:

drunk driving
having unprotected sex
doing motorbike wheelies
spitting in public
not wearing a seat belt
vandalism
wife beating
etc.
(many more I'm sure)

How is this different?

Yet I keep hearing excuses, 'reasons' to break the rules:

But I always babysit
I already planned to..
I can't stay in much
We meet on Fridays
Nobody will notice
It won't make a difference
Can't just do nothing
Only popped in for ten minutes
It's only a £30 fine
We all train together
(last but not least)
I've got a pub in my garden - all welcome!

What's wrong with people - anyone?