Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Boris Johnson has tested positive for Coronavirus

(119 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Fri 27-Mar-20 11:26:12

Experiencing mild symptoms, according to the BBC

I wonder if he will now broadcast from a sealed room or if he will take a step back and leave it to others to deliver the briefings?

vampirequeen Fri 27-Mar-20 12:35:45

All men should be equal. The days of automatic deference to class are long gone. Whilst I admit that from a security point of view he couldn't be admitted to a public ward should that become necessary, there is no reason why his actual treatment should be any different to ours. He should and (according to the media) is remaining in self isolation until he recovers. Should the worst happen and he develops a severe case then his access to medics, medication and equipment should be no more nor less than is available to any of us. Or are you suggesting that some people are more deserving than others in this crisis. He is the Prime Minister. He is not the government. Our democracy is not based on one person running everything.

Doorstop Fri 27-Mar-20 12:49:13

vampirequeen
Well said! I thought I had time travelled back to the Victorian age reading that post!

eazybee Fri 27-Mar-20 12:50:58

The usual ignorant comments from the ignorant; even illness doesn't stop them.

vampirequeen Fri 27-Mar-20 12:56:24

Which comments are you referring to as ignorant? I seem to have missed them.

Grammaretto Fri 27-Mar-20 12:57:32

I hope our Scottish First Minister is taking notice too.
Up until now, it has been one rule for the leaders and another for the rest of us.
Get well soon! Follow your own advice Boris.

Ellianne Fri 27-Mar-20 13:11:06

And Matt Hancock?

Shelmiss Fri 27-Mar-20 13:17:27

Yes all men should be equal but it's a fact of life that they are not. He's the Prime Minister and therefore should be able to have the best treatment on offer, he needs to be fighting fit in order to lead the country.

SalsaQueen Fri 27-Mar-20 13:17:31

Greymar Stop trying to pick an argument, I can't be arsed with it today

vampirequeen Fri 27-Mar-20 13:26:43

Why should he have better treatment than anyone else? He's the Prime Minister not the government. He/she is simply the leader of the Party in government. If he (and I hope he doesn't) becomes too ill to be in charge then there are others who can and will take over until he recovers. Our government does not rely on one person.

We all have the right to equal treatment. Your job does not make you more or less valuable than anyone else.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 13:28:03

Charleygirl
In fact a friend of DIL used to bump into Boris Johnson regularly in their local supermarket, each doing their shopping!

I wouldn't wish this on anyone and I hope it is mild.

trisher Fri 27-Mar-20 13:31:35

A PM who voted for and whose party blocked pay rises for the nurses he will presumably expect to care for him if things get worse. You know the ones you were out applauding for last night. Not only that but his MPs cheered when it happened www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/watch-moment-tories-cheered-blocking-10707293
But he deserves the best treatment?

janipat Fri 27-Mar-20 13:31:52

Lemongrove All top politicians are at risk, the amount of people they have to come into contact with.
How many people actually very ill with coronavirus do you think NHS staff come into contact with? And they cannot be tested even when displaying symptoms, just told to go home and self-isolate. Some, if tested, might be found to be clear and could resume their essential roles rather quicker. And I doubt very much that any politician comes into contact with as many potential infectors as any supermarket cashier. Widespread testing could have helped limit the spread of this virus enormously.

eazybee Fri 27-Mar-20 13:37:48

Vampire Queen.
Which proves my point.

janipat Fri 27-Mar-20 13:47:41

Matt Hancock is the latest to test positive, but why can't politicians just follow the instructions given to the general public? If you experience any symptoms of the virus, even mild ones, self isolate. Why do they need to be tested, when others in key roles are not tested? Even doctors and nurses, the ones trying to keep the sick alive, do not get tested. Politicians can "work from home" by video links and conference calls so it won't cripple the country.

Shelmiss Fri 27-Mar-20 13:52:57

I think all Boris haters are rubbing their hands together with glee now he's tested positive.

lemongrove Fri 27-Mar-20 13:55:30

I agree Shelmiss ......although they needn’t be too gleeful,
As he will still be working from Downing St and on tv now and then.?

Nightsky2 Fri 27-Mar-20 13:58:08

Whitewavemark2. Did you really mean to use the word ghastly!. You could have said he looked unwell, a bit under the weather, a bit tired as he’s been working round the clock for weeks but to describe the PM as ghastly is cheap and out of order, disgusting really whatever your politics.

I wish him the very best and hope he has a speedy recovery from this terrible virus also Matt Hancock.

oscaro11 Fri 27-Mar-20 13:58:11

I wish him a speedy recovery. He’s doing his best, the alternative would be much worse.

Lucca Fri 27-Mar-20 14:12:00

Night sky. Whitewavemark2 did not say he looked ghastly. She /he said IT. Looked ghastly, meaning the virus

CherryCezzy Fri 27-Mar-20 14:14:27

No more & no less than anyone else who has a mild case of this virus I wish him a full recovery. My thoughts are with those severe cases on ventilators and the friends and family of the people who have already succumbed to this horrible virus. Yes he's the PM but there are others in the government (except now Matt Hancock too) who can take on a bigger role. As I understand it he is still working from Downing Street, albeit in isolation. The wheels of government still go on.

Greymar Fri 27-Mar-20 14:15:15

Salsa, I wasn't. I don't get it really I don't but never mind. At least I haven't described another poster as ignorant. I can't be arsed with any of it either. Not when family members are scuttling around trying to find crocs and plastic gloves so they can do their jobs in a hospital.

Lucca Fri 27-Mar-20 14:16:12

Here goes nothing. I tend to be a bit of a lurker when things turn to discussing the prime minister, the Tory party etc but it does seem to me that as soon as anyone says anything negative about Boris etc they are shot down and described as “ignorant”. “Boris haters” etc And we get the usual comments about how much it would have been with Corbyn in charge which in my book is totally irrelevant.

vampirequeen Fri 27-Mar-20 14:18:31

eazybee

Vampire Queen.
Which proves my point.

Could you point me to the posts you feel are ignorant because I truly can't see any? I must be missing something.

Juliet27 Fri 27-Mar-20 14:19:04

Agreed Chestnut

Greymar Fri 27-Mar-20 14:20:02

Oh and by the way as stated previously I am not a Boric hater not a Prince Charles hater. You would have to be one very sick individual to believe that posters are enjoying somebody elses misfortune.