Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Boris Johnson has tested positive for Coronavirus

(119 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Fri 27-Mar-20 11:26:12

Experiencing mild symptoms, according to the BBC

I wonder if he will now broadcast from a sealed room or if he will take a step back and leave it to others to deliver the briefings?

Pikachu Fri 27-Mar-20 21:59:28

Re Johnson, Matt Hancock and that nice man on the TV adverts, it’s impossible to say their attack will remain ‘mild’. Only after 4-5 days apparently, will it become clear if they will improve or deteriorate.

SirChenjin Fri 27-Mar-20 21:41:04

Confirmed cases

SirChenjin Fri 27-Mar-20 21:40:51

That’s in the HDU or ICU where they’re treating confined cases - nurses and medical staff on other wards and in the community don’t have protective equipment lemon but they’re being exposed to patients who have the virus but who haven’t been tested and confirmed - that’s how my sister contracted it.

lemongrove Fri 27-Mar-20 21:37:25

Each hospital is different... the nurse in our family has full protective gear, she says it’s horrible and hot to wear, but needs must etc.

SueD smile

SueDonim Fri 27-Mar-20 21:31:59

Thank you, Lemongrove. You’re quite right, I was merely commenting that it was something I found interesting. confused

SirChenjin Fri 27-Mar-20 21:28:37

I doubt even the Tories would do that lemon - what an odd thing to say.

Don’t forget the PPE that hasn’t been forthcoming. The only protective clothing my sister had was an apron and a couple of masks she had to wear to treat multiple patients in the community.

lemongrove Fri 27-Mar-20 21:24:50

It would be shocking if there were thousands and thousands of testing kits available and they were being withheld from NHS on purpose ...... but that isn’t the case.
I hope that they will be ready as soon as possible to test medical staff so that they can return to work safely.

SirChenjin Fri 27-Mar-20 21:21:39

Shocking isn’t it lemon. Imagine exposing frontline staff that we need to make important decisions about people’s health to that sort of danger.

lemongrove Fri 27-Mar-20 21:18:50

Yes SirC....along with a close family member we have, who is also a nurse, as soon as there are more testing kits available.

lemongrove Fri 27-Mar-20 21:16:23

SueDonim was just making an interesting observation growstuff....if you don’t ‘get it’ many of us do.

SirChenjin Fri 27-Mar-20 21:15:54

And what about frontline staff who are treating those with the virus lemon - should they be tested too and given the correct PPE? People like my sister for example - a senior nurse of 25 years experience who is now off work and not making important decisions because she was exposed to the virus. No testing or PPE for her or her colleagues.

growstuff Fri 27-Mar-20 21:12:15

Others who survived Spanish Flu were President Woodrow Wilson, Mahatma Gandhi, Greta Garbo, the painter Edvard Munch and Kaiser Willhelm II of Germany, but it doesn't change the fact that approximately 50 million worldwide died.

growstuff Fri 27-Mar-20 21:10:27

I'm not sure what point you're making SueDonim. 228,000 people in the UK died from Spanish Flu, at a time when the population was much smaller. For some reason, it affected more younger people. If people don't get their act together, Covid-19 will kill a greater number.

growstuff Fri 27-Mar-20 21:05:58

lemongrove It's the people who are being complacent and think they can somehow get round the rules who don't seem to think there's a national emergency. If wanting rules enforced with no exception is being sour, I'll carry on being sour.

SueDonim Fri 27-Mar-20 20:52:19

I’ve just read that Lloyd George had Spanish Flu in the outbreak in 1918. He was hidden away to recover partly because they didn’t want Germany to sense a weakness in the closing stages of WW1.

In those days, it was much easier to keep the lid on such things, it just couldn’t be done nowadays.

Calendargirl Fri 27-Mar-20 20:38:56

And now Chris Whitty is self isolating with symptoms. On BBC News, Sophie Raworth kept referring to him as the ‘chief scientific advisor’, I thought he was the ‘chief medical officer/advisor’.
Nit picking, but there is a difference.

lemongrove Fri 27-Mar-20 20:33:58

Whoever is the PM regardless, should be tested, end of!
Also those close to him in the Cabinet too, so that they can carry on making decisions.
You wouldn’t think that we have a national emergency going on , by reading all the carping sour posts on here.

CherryCezzy Fri 27-Mar-20 19:29:25

So the rest of us are not 'equal' because we have never ... made decisions that change the world . Are you sure about that Chestnut because you appear to be but is it a true and accurate fact? I ask this question not with the PM in mind or his role etc or but purely to the assertion you have made.

Greymar Fri 27-Mar-20 19:14:02

Would we have denied the best treatment to Winston Churchill if he had come down with something during the war?

What on earth is the connection betweem then and now and between the 2 men?

vampirequeen Fri 27-Mar-20 19:11:45

eazybee….can you tell me why 'All men are equal ...' is ignorant.

janipat Fri 27-Mar-20 19:09:02

eazybee can you honestly say you think there's any chance that Johnson will be left without food and drink for 7 days, barring what he may already have in the kitchen of number 10? It's really rather disingenuous to believe that a man who had the NHS come to number 10 to give him a coronavirus test would fare the same as any member of the public when it comes to provisions.

eazybee Fri 27-Mar-20 18:51:24

I can guarantee that Johnson will have people sourcing food and medication for him and ensuring that he has what he needs. I can also guarantee that he's not worried sick about his finances.

Ignorant, as in discourteous ; rude.

You have proved my point, Growstuff; unless you are on the staff in No.10 you have no idea whether anyone is sourcing all the things he needs; you absolutely cannot guarantee he's not worried sick about his finances because you may calculate his salary but you have no idea of his outgoings.
He also has very many other worries to concern him.

janipat Fri 27-Mar-20 18:33:46

About time, but how many tests are available? www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52070199

Nightsky2 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:19:49

You’re. Predictive text blush

Ellianne Fri 27-Mar-20 17:57:37

I thought they managed well at the press conference today without Boris. I am pleased that we have many many clever, articulate, calm people who can make decisions for the country at this time. It goes beyond just one man and I am sure he too is relying heavily on the wisdom of those "under" him and "above" him.