Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

CV - Holiday insurance and bookings

(32 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 27-Mar-20 13:01:56

I have posted before about our holiday let in the UK. so in case anyone else has a booking coming up - we have heard from the agents that all holidays lets are suspended for the time being. We have paid in full for an Easter break, which is obviously not available. Have looked at the insurance company promoted by the letting agent (which we didnt take out) and they have a banner on their website saying Corona cancellations are not covered, only if you are too ill to go and can supply a doctors letter. So at the moment we are considerably out of pocket and the insurance that the company recommended would not have paid out anyway. So I guess that's a few pounds we have saved. I am about to go into battle for a refund. The owner has saved on expenses, cleaning, utilities, wear and tear plus they may be able to get a grant from the government. There is no holiday for us to have so I feel that there should be a refund. Even Easyjet has refunded a relatives cancelled flight!

Labaik Wed 01-Apr-20 13:27:10

We should have been having a family holiday next week, staying in two cottages. It's the first time in my life that I haven't bothered to take out cancellation insurance, my reasoning being that there would always be someone else who would like to go. Thankfully the lettings company have contacted all the cottage owners on their books and they've all agreed to transfer their holiday to the following year. I still feel somehow responsible for this pandemic and feel that, had I taken out the insurance, it would never have happened...

Daisymae Wed 01-Apr-20 13:41:04

Labaik - you would probably still not be covered. The insurance that the lettings agent recommends is not covering unless you are actually ill and can supply a doctors letter to the fact. So you have probably saved some money.

Floradora9 Wed 01-Apr-20 16:10:18

All I want is my money back from TUI . They offered to let us rebook and there are plans afoot to offer credit notes instead of money back . Neither of the phone numbers TUI sent to me work .

Labaik Wed 01-Apr-20 16:45:22

Daisy; no, we're fine. It's all been agreed [phew].

suziewoozie Fri 03-Apr-20 15:54:31

We’re members of Which and in our latest email from them, they include the following. They make it very clear that for holidays booked upto 3 April, you are entitled to your money back. It looks to me as though this covers some of the cases on here. I rate Which so if it were me, I’d be going after those greedy holiday home/ holiday cottage agencies.

www.which.co.uk/news/2020/03/coronavirus-how-are-my-uk-holiday-plans-affected/?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=3970133-C_WS_EM_030420

tidyskatemum Fri 03-Apr-20 16:04:24

We have a holiday to India booked for June. It can't be cancelled at the moment as the lockdown in India is only until April 15 so far. The tour company wants us to rebook for 2021 and the airline will give us a voucher valid for a year from our original travel date. BUT....our travel insurance expires on April 16 and because I have just had my 66th birthday V&^%$n Money say our existing policy can't be renewed and although they will give us another policy it won't include any cover for coronavirus, where a simple renewal would. Catch-22.