Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Daughter needs help with young children

(78 Posts)
Tedd1 Fri 27-Mar-20 15:19:22

My daughter has just messaged me to say she's ill with a cold, headache and exhaustion. Her husband ( works in the NHS ) due to go back to work tomorrow. She has two children age 3 and 2 months. Am I allowed to go and help her.
I am 66 with no underlying health conditions ( neither does my husband) ?
Would appreciate your views

Madbird37 Sun 29-Mar-20 11:47:47

As health care worker her husband must inform his line manager, stay at home if he OR any member of the family including children, at home, develops symptoms of Covid-19. If he doesn't show any symptoms by day 8 of isolation he can inform his line manager and discuss return to work.

maddyone Sat 28-Mar-20 15:41:26

What a heart rending situation to be in. I feel so much for you Tedd and I’m unsure what to advise. It would be preferable if your daughter’s husband could stay at home with her, and given that your daughter may be suffering from Coronavirus, her husband should be isolating for a further 14 days anyway. Maybe that’s the best solution.

BoBo53 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:40:14

Her husband must self isolate. These are the rules. My son's partner is doing this because son and granddaughter have been ill.

Nitpick48 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:27:47

I’m sorry for the NHS but her husband should know that he should stay home and both self isolate, in case she has the virus. That’s standard procedure.

Granjax33 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:25:55

My daughter had our first grandson 8 weeks ago and its hard to reconcile the joy at having him yet having to stay away from them. I am looking to happier days ahead for us all.

Seefah Sat 28-Mar-20 15:17:11

Her husband can’t go back to work until it’s established she does not have the virus ? Either she has to have testing or she has to quarantine ?

Dillyduck Sat 28-Mar-20 15:07:58

I also think her husband should stay home until she is better. Feeling "washed out" is a classic symptom of the virus, and a bad headache too.
Her husband, in my view, is being utterly irresponsible.

blue25 Sat 28-Mar-20 14:27:27

No don’t go. You could pass it on to them. They could give it to you. We’re talking life and death here.

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 14:26:01

A runny nose, headache and exhaustion are recorded symptoms of the virus.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 28-Mar-20 14:22:57

A total of 1,019 people have now died in UK.
This surely must concentrate minds.

It is so difficult for families, but every time we communicate closely with another person, asymptomatic or not, we may pass on the virus to them, or them to us.

This virus is an active devil. I don't think you can diagnose Covid 19 so simplistically Lizbetha

mancgirl Sat 28-Mar-20 14:03:52

I posted on an earlier thread about dil having a baby in 9 weeks. They have a 2 year old. Plan is/was when she goes into labour I would go and stay with the 2 year old. They live 5 minutes drive away. I have no underlying problems, fingers crossed. I'm just t don't know what will happen if I can't go. I have heard today partners can only go when mum to be is in active labour and leave immediately after the birth but that doesn't help the situation prior to labour.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 28-Mar-20 14:01:35

No,no, you can’t look after your daughter, her husband should be isolating with her: he shouldn’t be going to work

Lizbethann55 Sat 28-Mar-20 14:00:26

Whether or not OP goes is a difficult one. But what concerns me is the number of posters saying the DD has the virus. Apparently she has a cold and is tired. NOWHERE does the OP mention the two main symptoms; a new continuous cough and a high temperature. My own DD is a frontline NHS worker. She has a cold. No temperature. No cough. No shortage of breath. She does not have Covid 19. She is expected to go to work and is doing so.

MollyG Sat 28-Mar-20 13:45:03

No you must stay in her husband should isolate with her

Hetty58 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:19:49

I'm just dismayed and horrified that there are still morons about who ignore the rules.

I was walking the dog near the road on the edge of woodland here when, suddenly, a group of runners, huddled close together and chatting away, appeared on the path.

They stopped and split up into pairs before heading to the road. I just despair!

ElaineI Sat 28-Mar-20 12:55:14

It sounds like she has symptoms so the family should be self isolating and her husband should not be at work.
Txquiltz children are not allowed playdates just now.

Schnauzer1 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:43:59

Cymres1 if your daughter has a child at home to look after she can be "furloughed" by her employer. The furlough scheme is part of the new government measures to help people who can't work due to anything virus related. Part of her wages would then be paid by the government while she stays at home. I'm no expert, I just heard it last night on the Martin Lewis programme. Google it.

Nannan2 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:55:04

Everyones treating it like a bleeping extended public holiday!!!angry

Nannan2 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:54:08

Oh gawd i can hear loud music in neighbours gardens i hope theyre not doing this for weeks on end! angry

Nannan2 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:52:42

Hazel1731 yes i think you can leave them in garage 72 hours but then id make they washed them indettol& soap too before kids have them.but yes what if on walk round you were at risk in some way? Youd have to weigh this up maybe.

Nannan2 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:44:52

Cymres1, cant one of the parents stay home with the child,while one works? (Is it Halfords?) Yes i can see how some car& bike parts may be essential to keep car& bike safe& roadworthy- ( theres still some having to go work in cars etc)but surely theres not enough customers to keep them so busy theyd need to both go in as most MUST stay home.?

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:39:37

Oh no I’m not.

Definitely losing it?

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:38:46

H Im on the wrong thread. Time to go and do something else...l.l.

Nannan2 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:38:20

"silly little virus"? -"playdates"? My god this is is why its spreading so fast? This 'silly' little virus is a killer! Old& young alike.you say 'mom' so i assume youre american (or canadian) Txquiltz so now i can see why its spreading like wildfire in U.S? If most of you have that attitude?.Also,yes,tiredoldwoman,we are calling you out on it too.Its why its spreading like mad! We ALL have reasons we would or could go help our families,but we are listening to what we are being told.STAY AT HOME..DONT TAKE RISKS.No parties.(at least none that include other kids except the ones who live in their house anyway) So please listen and maybe we can all live to be with our families when this is (ever) over!!

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:38:10

Yes I think so. I didn’t think of doing that.

Be careful on the walk though?