Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - not setting foot outside!

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Thu 02-Apr-20 21:24:40

My DH is on the shielded list. Just wondering how many others there are on GN and how you are coping with staying in all the time.

Marydoll Thu 02-Apr-20 23:22:19

Doodle, I had a bottle of invisible ink, bought in Tam Shepherd's Magic Joke Shop in Glasgow. He sold all sorts of items for the amateur detectives.!?
I aspired to be Fatty with all his disguises in the , Five Find- Outers

Marydoll Thu 02-Apr-20 23:24:54

Merlotgran, I will miss my 65th birthday celebrations, but will be free just before DHs 70th! I will be having my party on my own!! ?

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 23:30:33

I shall miss mine too.
If I do get any presents I shall be gazing at them for 72 hours before I open them.
If

Doodle Thu 02-Apr-20 23:34:36

missedout I have a hula hoop too. Not very good at it yet.
mamissimo I’m with you on the ??. We have plentiful supplies of that if nothing else.
marydoll you’ll have to have your birthday on GN so we can all have a party with you.

dragonfly46 Thu 02-Apr-20 23:36:57

I too am on the shielded list which means I get regular Sainsbury delivery slots and Boots will deliver my medication.
My DH just takes out the dog (our daughters - long story) but avoids people.
We too sit in separate rooms by day but watch tv together in the evening.
I suspect I will miss my birthday in the middle of June. Does that mean I won’t be a year older? ?

Doodle Thu 02-Apr-20 23:38:15

callistemon you should have a party too.
We could have a Lock-in at the Locked Up Pub for the Locked Down Gang. ?

Doodle Thu 02-Apr-20 23:40:25

Nice try dragonfly.? I don’t think it works like that.

Marydoll Thu 02-Apr-20 23:57:40

A virtual party sounds like good fun!?

Maxval Fri 03-Apr-20 00:43:23

Oh, the delights of lockdown – now into my fourth week. How I love my safe harbour and when asked ‘have you been out today’ I can cheerfully say – I am not allowed and carry on playing. Open the side-door and let in the morning air and a brief respite to survey the garden Domaine to blow the cobwebs away. Daffodils are breaking out all over and what a glorious sight to behold. Turn on the News – nothing new there - how about something joyous to start off the day. Ensconced in the computer room – now where did I finish was it 1327 or 1381 – writing not very clear better find my glasses. Joy, oh, joy another agreeable day. Goodnight.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Apr-20 01:02:24

We've got 'double parties' planned for next year (a double Mothers Day too) to make up for the missed ones. I expect we'll spend double the usual amount!

BlueSky Fri 03-Apr-20 08:53:30

I just wonder why in Europe rules are so strict complete with paperwork and fines, here they are so so and in countries like Sweden they are very relaxed. They have been advised what to do and they are trusted to do it 'like adults', as their minister said. I guess the rules work according to the audience they are addressing?

nanaK54 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:08:20

My DH is on the 'shielded list', he has been 'in' for three weeks, I was working up to 20th March therefore have only been 'in' for two weeks, my last week at work was nerve wracking I was so worried that I could potentially bring the virus into the house.
We are so fortunate in that we have a large garden to enjoy.
Have been able to access online delivery slots with Sainsburys which has made so much difference - yes, I know how lucky we are.
Our Borough Council have been in touch by email and 'phone to offer support (haven't needed this) I am very impressed.

Greyduster Fri 03-Apr-20 09:23:33

We were notified yesterday that DH is on the shielded list, and he was mightily put out, as was I, but if that is to be our lives for the next twelve weeks so be it. This morning we received another text message from the surgery to say that ‘many patients had been put on the list in error and they will receive another text message soon’ but I don’t think it will be DH, he has COPD. We are planning on digging a tunnel from here to the adjacent field and I have dug out a recording of the music to The Great Escape to play while we are scooping out the earth with a tablespoon!

Marydoll Fri 03-Apr-20 09:45:01

nanaK54, you are lucky that your local council is on the ball and offering support.
Scottish patients only got their shielding letters this week, at least a week after the English Govt sent their letters out.
In saying that, there was nine pages of information, so someone had done their job properly.

Our LA has a dedicated Corona page, which as yet offers no support to those of us who have received the shielding letter! sad. This is the richest local authority in Scotland, with plenty funds, who are usually very innovative and proactive in what they do.

However, having the letter does make it easier to ask for help and get delivery slots.

Sussexborn Fri 03-Apr-20 10:12:42

My stepsister lives in France. Her printer wouldn’t work so not sure how/if she managed to get any food supplies.

Franbern Fri 03-Apr-20 10:13:06

My Son in Law is totally shielding at present due to his medical problems and the medications he is on. So, he is totally isolated in what was, their bedroom, fortunately with en-suite as hospital told him he must have his own washing and toilet facilities.
That leaves my daughter, working from home with her SENCO students, and having sole responsibility for their four children (3 x teens, 1 subteen), shopping, cooking, ensuring kids studies are kept up, etc. etc. I am less than a quarter of a mile away, but so reluctant to ask her for anything as she has enough on her plate.
Strange thing was the my SiL was told by GP that he HAD to come in for his blood tests that enable them to continue prescribing certain medication. They did try to arrange it for him before any other patients, but it was the first time he had been out of his room since told to totally self-isolate.

Marydoll Fri 03-Apr-20 10:46:32

My GP phoned to tell me NOT to come for my blood tests, which are compulsory for my medication.
They checked all my previous ones and as they were stable, decided against me leaving the house. Too risky.

I then got another phone call yesterday reminding me not to come in today.

CherryCezzy Fri 03-Apr-20 10:46:34

The stealthy ? venture out yesterday was the very last mission before the 'high security incarceration' for me and my wonderful partner. No blanket Doodle, do you think I'll be rumbled ? ?
My WP and me have got a lovely volunteer set up to collect both our medications from here on in. We haven't sorted anything with regards to shopping yet though. The LA asked me if I want to register with them to receive a food parcel but I can't bring myself to do that, it feels demeaning. I have been given an 'emergency' telephone number which I can apparently ring to give me access to hundreds of shops that can deliver, so I was told. I don't think it involves the supermarkets. So far as I am aware supermarket priority slots don't include Wales as yet. I looked again yesterday. If someone else in Wales knows any different please let me know.
I do like the idea of a big virtual party in the Lock Up pub for the Lockdown Gang. It's my birthday earlier July and I am hoping we can all be released by then, even if it is on licence ?? but if not I think a party should be the order of the day.

Eglantine21 Fri 03-Apr-20 10:57:21

Can I join?

I moved in with the lover a few months ago so this is a real test of compatibility!

I veer from being really glad we’re together (on a good day) to checking out little houses on Rightmove for when the lockdown ends?

I spend most of my time digging up the lawn to plant vegetables.......

Doodle Fri 03-Apr-20 11:24:04

You are more than welcome to join eglantine . Hope you’re getting on ok.
maxval you sound as though you are really enjoying the lockdown which is good. Are you reading or writing in your computer room?
hetty I expect there will be some huge parties when this is over. I have spent more time talking to more distant family members checking up on how they are doing.
bluesky you know the British and queuing! I expect the government expect us to do as we’re told.?
nanaK54 my DH has had a couple of phone calls from the council (social services actually) to check how he is doing which is nice.
greyduster I love your idea of the tunnel. Are you expecting to be in confinement that long ?. I loved The Great Escape. Big fan of Steve McQueen.
sussex hope your stepsister gets some supplies in. Hopefully there will be some local agencies who can help.
franbern life must be really difficult for your daughter and her family. It is easier for us older people to cope but I do worry for the families with young children. Your poor daughter must be so busy. I bet it’s hard for your SIL to be stuck in one room too.
Hope everyone has a good day.

DoraMarr Fri 03-Apr-20 12:07:32

I’m coming to the end of quarantine, after having some mild symptoms. I’m missing my daily walks around the park, which was making up for all the things I used to do, like coffee with friends, concerts, galleries, talks, classes....I live on my own, so I’m used to a certain quietness. Of course, I miss my family and partner, but knowing we are all in the same boat lessens the pain a bit.

Smileless2012 Fri 03-Apr-20 13:18:38

I can't be a member of your gang but just wanted to send you all some flowers for remaining so upbeat and cheerful in such difficult circumstances.

Doodle Fri 03-Apr-20 14:51:56

smileless I’m quite glad to hear you are not under lock and key like some of us are but thank you for the flowers . You are welcome to the parties when we eventually get to that point ?
DoraMarr glad you are feeling a bit better. I think we all miss our walks and outings.

Doodle Fri 03-Apr-20 14:54:17

Has anyone taken up any new (or old) hobbies to keep them busy over the next few weeks?
I am starting a new one this afternoon. I am going to try and make a little house (stuffed!). Not sure how it will turn out - might go straight in the recycling bin ?

Lisagran Fri 03-Apr-20 15:21:34

We’re staying at home, though not officially on “the list”, as I have heart problems and OH had pneumonia a couple of years ago.
We have a garden to keep us busy - and I have been managing to get Sainsburys deliveries, so not too bad.
What I’m anxious about is when people start going out again - will we not get the virus then? If this is a daft question, sorry - I’ve become brain dead from Covid info over the past weeks. flowers and cupcake for everyone smile

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion