Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - not setting foot outside!

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Thu 02-Apr-20 21:24:40

My DH is on the shielded list. Just wondering how many others there are on GN and how you are coping with staying in all the time.

dragonfly46 Sat 30-May-20 19:51:01

The toilet cistern not filling is indeed a buggeration Cherry. Why is it that these things happen when we could really do without them. I do hope you get it sorted out soon.

I had news that Dexter is settling as he had a good romp in the woods. But oh how I long to be sitting on my DD’s terrace.
FT with the DGC this afternoon and lots of blown kisses. My DGS who is 2 has Learnt his first joke so we had to hear it 20 times.

Lovely evening here but off to watch Hairspray on YouTube.

Doodle Sat 30-May-20 21:23:15

grammaretto a really interesting story of your home. Glad it is a much happier place now than it was. I did read part of the link you put in your thread. What an amazing and terrible story. So much suffering.
Hope your quiz goes well tonight.
panache there comes a time when you have to make your voices heard and I am so glad you got your seat and garden walk back. Two comfortable chairs would be a good buy but make sure they are not too heavy for you to move. We are lucky in our small block that we get on well with all our neighbours. They have been very supportive since lockdown although most are the same age as us or older.
I have to say I think a little trip to the coast would be a wonderful idea and I think you should do it when you get the chance. My dear SIL was born very near the sea and in her childhood spent a lot of time on the beach and swimming. During her last summer ( she died very quickly of cancer within 4 weeks of diagnosis) we took her to the coast for a small holiday and had some wonderful photos of her paddling in the sea with a big smile on her face. The sea has a very uplifting effect on many of us. I do so hope you get to go there soon.
cherry I may have mentioned this before but FH gets bad heartburn (not as bad as yours though) and he finds Rennes help. Have you tried them? Sorry about your toilet. That’s a real pain. Shame we don’t live closer together we could get a plumber to fix my sink and your toilet.?.
Despite my nervousness about being out, I think it did DH good to go for a walk. I think if you can avoid all contact with people (more than the guidelines in our case) and make sure hands are thoroughly washed on returning home, I don’t see why you can’t go out. DH and I always hold hands when walking. I used my right hand to open all the doors and the gate and wouldn’t let DH touch any of them and then made him hold my left hand during our walk. We kept a long distance from people. We will not go out over the weekend because it’s more busy but we thought we would have another walk next week. cherry if I was anywhere near the sea I would go. Not perhaps during the day if it’s busy but late evening when there aren’t so many around. Even if you just sit in the car and look at it. How wonderful that would be. ?
missedout I will be on the trail of your peacock. Sorry your back aches. Hope it doesn’t keep you awake tonight.
I hope all my inmates sleep well tonight. Not sure if Marydoll will be in or not but she will certainly need a good rest before Monday to cope with her class’ shenanigans ?

Doodle Sat 30-May-20 21:27:32

Well missedout I decided you needed a treat. Tonight you will have on your bed one very special peacock towel. Just for you

Doodle Sat 30-May-20 21:28:55

dragonfly how nice to see your little ones today even if only on FT. I bet you laughed at you DGSs joke again, and again, and again...?

Marydoll Sat 30-May-20 21:45:02

I'm here Doodle, not had a great day, no real enthusiasm for posting.

Trying to please everyone and pleasing no-one. That's what happens when you are a mum.
It started well, but went downhill after that.

Tomorrow is a new day and good weather predicted.

Good night all. Sleep well.

Doodle Sat 30-May-20 21:48:23

Here’s to a better day tomorrow flowers

Missedout Sat 30-May-20 21:53:41

I had signed out but couldn’t help having a little peek into my room and Wow!!!! Thank you Doodle, I'm so pleased with my towel, you really came up trumps (am I allowed to say that any more?). You have sent me to bed with a big smile on my face smile.

Mamissimo Sat 30-May-20 21:57:29

Present! ....but not very correct today. I was making puff pastry and having a lovely messy play in the kitchen when my gallstones decided to create havoc. I was due to have my gallbladder removed in March ☹️ I feel better now but a bit tired so I’ll bid you all good night and I’ll catch up in the morning.

Mamissimo Sat 30-May-20 21:59:06

Have just noticed we will need a new penitentiary soon! Please leave the key under the mat! ?

CherryCezzy Sat 30-May-20 23:17:16

Either I'm a guppy, distinct possibility,? or you just haven't mentioned it but what is the problem you've got with your sink Doodle ?
I'm going to try and avoid treating the plumbing issue like an emergency for now as thankfully we do have a toilet downstairs. It's just that I have to be so careful on the stairs and sometimes I get up to use the toilet several times in the night. Going up and down at night is not really a viable option, especially when some times I need the toilet shortly after a seizure but am disorientated. It is definitely a bl...y nuisance. Oh dear, I've moaned about it again! Perhaps it's just peeing me off too much ?

Thanks for your suggestion Doodle but it's just another issue I have. I am prescribed medication for it and it's usually effective but out of the blue I'll have a flare up. I'm fine now, until the next time ?. One time I visited my GP (not for heartburn) he turned to me and said "you've got a little bit of everything". Should I laugh or cry ... ?

Sorry to hear you've got backache Missedout. It's often an issue that gets ignored by Drs because it's a common issue but not all backache is the same or due to the same issues. I hope it's just a temporary passing issue for you.

Marydoll ?

That doesn't sound good Mamissimo. I don't know what it's like to have gallstones but I had kidney stones and had renal colic when I had them, horrible pain. Contact your GP, elective surgery is something that is meant to starting up again soon. It's not something that can be put on the back burner for too long. Glad you are feeling a bit better now. Hope you have a peaceful night ?

Yes, as Mamissimo says gov'nr Doodle we will be needing a key under the mat soon ?

Nice cold drink in the bar ?. Night inmates ?

Doodle Sun 31-May-20 00:05:58

My kitchen sink is leaking cherry so I can’t use it till we have a plumber in. Don’t really want to do that at the moment so managing with a washing up bowl. Glad you are feeling better now.
Well the question now is do we have another Lockdown Club now that the amazing news says in England the shielded are allowed out from Monday! I was very surprised to read this. I think we will proceed with caution. The danger has not gone away so we will be very careful what we do. Hope we can still get deliveries because I certainly don’t want to go into a supermarket. What does everyone think?
mamissimo sorry about your gallstone pain. I have never had that but my mother did and I know it was really painful. Hope it doesn’t trouble you tonight.
Sleep well all.

BradfordLass73 Sun 31-May-20 08:53:49

Wow! shan't be trying that towel folding grin

So sorry to read that many of my cellmates are unwell or unhappy. Hope for better days soon for you all.

Cold and wet here, so I've spent most of the day at my computer finding NZ oddities to put in my blog. I don't suppose anyone ever reads it but I have fun writing it so that's all that matters.

Missedout If you do buy a new printer (and you may only need a new yellow catridge by the sound of it) try to find one which has 4 separate colour cartridges.
Otherwise, when one colour runs out (usually black), you have to trash the others even if there's still a lot of ink left.

Price the cartrtidges and see if there are generic ones available. Epson is a good make and although they don't like you to use generic or refillable carts (of course), the printers accept them.

Stay away from HP, whatever bargain they offer, the carts are v.pricey indeed, often more than the printer.

The committe of my elders group recently bought a 'bargain' Hewlett Packard and it has already cost them 3 times more than the printer, in ink. I wish I'd known before they swiped the cc.

Research is essential and if you'd like me to do that on your behalf, just say. smile

Thankyou all for your concern about my homecare girl. It'll work out one way or the other.

Yes, the BF (I never think 'boyfriend when I see that acronym [grin[) may come good.

I know her beloved father died last year and her Nanna died during lockdown.
Not sure about her relationship with Mum but if it was good, surely she'd have said so?

Well my dears, my hands are so cold I can hardly type so I'm going to take my Artificial Intelligence machine to bed, listen to Radio 4 Extra and get warm unbder the blankets.

Have a lovely day flowers

BradfordLass73 Sun 31-May-20 09:22:04

Ooops, I forgot to mention this coincidence.

When I read about 'Evenin' All' Dixon of Dock Green, a few minutes later Radio 4 played 'Floggits' with Elsie and Doris Waters; who were sisters to Jack Warner.

Those were good old days !

Missedout Sun 31-May-20 09:33:03

Good morning all (apart from those in other time zones although, when they read this, I guess it will be morning for them too).

We're allowed out from tomorrow but I'm one of the privileged with a decent garden. I've been thinking of those stuck indoors for weeks. I just don't know how some have kept going under these circumstances.

My back is not quite so bad today, I took ibuprofen yesterday (paracetamol doesn't help).

BradfordLass79, I replaced the yellow cartridge on my printer but the cleaning process half emptied it and it made no difference! Instructions say to get it serviced - I won't bother but will spend time looking at replacements. Cost of printing will be a factor!

Mamissimo, I've had my gall bladder removed. I remember pacing up and down my landing in such pain. It was at a particularly difficult time when I was working, still had a son living at home and my mother was going through a very difficult stage of her dementia. I didn't even notice how much heartburn I was suffering and for how long. I was taken to hospital in an ambulance and they whipped out the gall bladder 2 days later. My sympathies.

Sorry about all the other 'plumbing' troubles. We have a mysterious, intermittent 'flush' from time to time.

Grammaretto Sun 31-May-20 09:39:51

Morning cellmates! I hope you had a reasonable night and some sleep.
It has been so hot here it reminds me of camping holidays when everything had to be done early or not at all. I shall be cooking incase DD and DGD turn up.though they will bring their own food it seems so inhospitable not to bake a cake. We've not seen any of our bairns since Christmas.
The quiz went very well (we won) and zoom let us go on and on for free. My DSis joined in for the first time and was whooping with excitement to see all the faces.

I hope plumbers are to be found even in lockdown.

Have a good day all of you or night BradfordLass smile

Doodle Sun 31-May-20 11:46:20

bradfordlass how kind of you to help with the printer problem. Good advice indeed. I do read your blog on occasions (some days I don’t have time for much. Goodness knows why I’m at home all the time?). You certainly cover a variety of interesting subjects. Hope you slept well.
missedout glad you had a better sleep and the ibuprofen helped. DH can’t take it as he has asthma but fortunately the paracetamol did help him and his back is much improved after his fall.
grammaretto morning to you too (although it’s almost afternoon now ?) Sounds as though you all had a really good time with your quiz. Glad it went well.

Doodle Sun 31-May-20 11:51:06

Now, a question. Several of you have mentioned that this thread will close soon when it reaches 1000. I don’t mind starting another but if the lockdown is being eased slightly and we are allowed out I don't know if you will want to continue or just go back to posting on other threads. It has been a great pleasure having your company but not sure if to cont8nue or let it drop when we get to the 1000. Any thoughts?

Dreamkeeper Sun 31-May-20 12:01:18

`Morning all,very near Lunch time in this establishment actually.Just a quick hello and a promise to fully catch up after sundown!

Bringing up the rear this morning I guess but we both have managed a very pleasant and substantial walk this morning,already very hot and although I wore my hat........and yes we too hold hands.......I had several near misses with my hat blowing away!!!

After a delightful quiet session sitting in the sun yesterday afternoon.........backs to it actually!.......I was truly shocked on undressing last night to find I had two rather sunburnt knees if you please!
This surely shows the ferocity of this sun right now.I also notice the strongest temperatures are in the west where we are.

Loving the towel Doodle,is there anything you CANNOT turn your hand too?

The easing of lockdown for the shielded in England certainly seemed to come as an after thought,or perhaps again another "sweetener" to try deflect the Cummings situation which continues to rage on.
Quite frankly all this easing has .......in my humble opinion..........come far too soon,far too many "open doors" all at once whilst this Track & Trace system needs a full month to run and that is the bare minimum.
Hopefully people take their new freedom with extreme caution both for saving thair own lives as well as for those around them.
The sights of our crowded beaches truly put fear into me.
Am truly very sceptical.

Will be looking forward to catching up later,meanwhile have a good afternoon...........and yes,lots of iced drinks are a must!

Dreamkeeper Sun 31-May-20 12:04:25

Just read your message Guv..........and as far as I am concerned I say categorically,yes,yes,yes please may we continue this thread?

This thread has proved a real uplift and tonic with such a lot of helpful caring and advice, sprinkled lavishly with great humour.
I vote YES!

Marydoll Sun 31-May-20 12:07:50

I vote Yes , shielding hasn't been eased in Scotland.

Marydoll Sun 31-May-20 12:13:30

Doodle, I have an HP printer and find the cartridges cheap, because I'm signed up to their instant ink print service. I pay a set amount each month for a set amount of copies. As my ink runs low, I'm sent a new cartridge.
It has worked out so much cheaper than buying cartridges from a store.
When I was IT co-ordinator in my school, I always tried to by HP printers, as they were work horses, lasting for years.

Grammaretto Sun 31-May-20 12:31:14

Oh please please start another. This is a life saver.
We are not coming out yet in Scotland or Wales (sounds like we are debutantes)
And don't know when we ever will.

CherryCezzy Sun 31-May-20 12:58:25

Afternoon inmates.
I concur Marydoll, HP printers are work horses. If you sign up as you do and print on a relatively regular basis the ink does work out as good value but not otherwise. Sometimes I use my printer a lot but I can go months, like now, without using it at all. Spurts of use are costly but if only occasionally it's okay. When I spy a good offer I take it ?

BradfordLass, it was me who "referenced" Dixon of Dock Green without naming the show, I knew people would remember it. It had a very distinctive theme tune which I remember clearly ?.

Pleased your back is a bit better Missedout. By the way, a bit late in the day so to speak but I loved your explanation for why you chose your user name. I find exactly the same happens to me ? ?.

Mind how you go in the sun today Dreamkeeper.

Hope your DD and your DGD do turn up today Grammaretto and I'm sure if they do you will have a wonderful day ?

I vote yes to continuing this thread too Doodle since nothing's changed in Wales or Scotland. Perhaps with just a tweak to the second clause ...? I've found this thread to be, like Dreamkeeper says "a tonic", one of warmth, humour and sharing ?.

Doodle Sun 31-May-20 14:31:29

What a lovely lot you are. It will indeed be a pleasure to keep your company for longer although as you suggest cherry we might re name the thread a bit.
marydoll I always used HP printers at work too and they did indeed work very well with little maintenance. DH is my IT guru so I just issue commands to print from my iPad and if for any reason it doesn’t work I tell him indoors that one of his toys is broken and needs fixing ?
Although, here in England, we are being allowed out from tomorrow, I think we will be using our own judgement as to what we will do. I think apart from a walk somewhere when there are not many people about we will be staying in for longer and not mixing with anyone.
Hope you all enjoy your day today. We have sunshine here and clear blue skies. Some of our neighbours are out in the communal garden. Like us they are not young so they are keeping their distance but having a chat to each other. We may join in over the balcony but won’t be going out.
Take care. Back later.?

Doodle Sun 31-May-20 14:34:01

grammaretto your comment made me laugh. When you do come out, will you be wearing a lovely ball gown with Tiara? Perhaps when all of us in the lockdown gang are finally allowed out for good we can all wear our finery for our lock down in the Lockup bar. ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion