Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - not setting foot outside!

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Thu 02-Apr-20 21:24:40

My DH is on the shielded list. Just wondering how many others there are on GN and how you are coping with staying in all the time.

BradfordLass73 Mon 25-May-20 06:09:22

Poor Cherry, sending lots of steadying thoughts.

Dream AMD can sometimes be hilarious.

You wrote: ...request for a fully fledged cocktail bar

I saw: ...request for a fully fledged cockatoo..

Doodle you inspired me to ransack the airing cupboard and produce an elephant, then Grammareto wanted a pig, so Elie was quickly adapted ! grin

Grammaretto Mon 25-May-20 11:25:29

Ah Thank you Bradfordlass I like her. However now can someone make me a fully fledged cockatoo! Please.

You have all day/night so no rush. wink

This lockdown is definitely getting to me. I saw a dead song thrush in the garden this morning and thought such sad thoughts, like how many years since I have seen a thrush and I was busy blaming the neighbour's cat when on closer inspection- I was going to pick the poor thing up and give it a proper burial - it turned out to be a piece of speckled wood.

Greek Outing At Thebes gets my vote, Cherry.

I hope you have all had a less troubled night as the prison standards improve.
Thanks Guv!

I am plotting to host DD in the garden next weekend -though how we will manage not to hug the kids...
We have a downstairs loo which is not used except by guests so if they can travel by then it will be wonderful and she can see her dad.

jaylucy Mon 25-May-20 11:33:22

I'm lucky that I have a large garden, so can at least sit outside from time to time.
My sister dropped off some eggs and some vegan cream (son dairy intolerant) on Saturday afternoon - first time I had seen her since New Year!
I wonder how we would have coped without the technology we now have ?

Doodle Mon 25-May-20 12:24:39

jaylucy lovely to have a garden. Indeed it would be much worse without the ability to zoom or FaceTime or text.
bradfordlass you are immediately appointed housekeeper in charge of towel folding. Those two are brilliant ?
grammaretto so glad your bird was a stick. Be lovely for you to see your DD soon.
Our son is popping over today with cake ?. He will leave it outside and I will go down to get it.
Hope everyone has a good day. I’m off to find a perch for the cockatoo to go in the cocktail bar ?

CherryCezzy Mon 25-May-20 13:09:07

Afternoon fellow inmates.

Your elephant and pig creations has put a smile on my face today BradfordLass ?. I especially like the elephant.
Thanks for the "steadying thoughts". I'm clearly not the steadiest person in the world and have several scrapes and bruises on bruises today. I'm made of sturdy stuff though and although I'm a bit battered at the moment the bruises will fade and the scrapes will heal ?.

I agree, I think we'd all vote for the Greek outing, surely, Grammaretto ?.
I'm glad the thrush turned out to be a piece of wood! A couple of weeks, or so, ago my WP found a dead bird in our back garden and was very upset about it. He loves the birds who frequent our garden and treats them like pets. He gave it a fitting burial. About a week ago we were in the dining room having dinner when a fledgling starling hit the window. Fortunately it landed on one of our garden seats. At first it looked as if it had broken a leg but fortunately it was just very stunned and after a while recovering he flew away ?.
It's so tricky isn't it, do you or don't you have your family come and sit in the garden with you. We all understand that innate desire to hug the children. I still think you should go ahead and have them all in the garden with you though.

It must have been lovely to see your sister jaylucy, I hope you enjoyed it ?.

Dreamkeeper, interesting to know that you have a fair bit of knowledge about different epilepsy syndromes. I think in general, whilst awareness has improved greatly, the majority of the public have limited knowledge and therefore lack the understanding that there are well over 100 different epilepsy syndromes and that some are incredibly rare. I didn't find out until around 2009 that statistically my syndrome was incredibly rare but it does explain why the medical profession had such difficulty diagnosing it properly and why it is intractable, refractory. Hey ho, at least I can claim to be unique ( in the UK anyway) ? ?

I so agree with fellow lockdown detainees, gov'nr Doodle is a gem, a genuinely kind and lovely hostess and I wouldn't want anyone else to be our gov'nr ?.
If we end up having to move to another prison I hope she is our gov'nr there.

Doodle Mon 25-May-20 21:22:07

Oh go on with you all, you’re making me blush. I couldn’t ask for better inmates ?
DH continues to have more colourful bruises and obviously has difficulty bending but he is not one of life’s complainers and doesn’t mention it if I don’t ask. cherry with all your falls you must be black and blue all over.
We are not surprised to find you are unique. I think we all feel you are quite a special lady anyway. ?
I have been on the trail of a cockatoo for the cocktail bar. I have found what I think are the ideal pair. Soft and cuddly, not noise and no mess. They certainly won’t be sipping the cocktails. ?. Open bar tonight so have what you will. I will be watching from the wings to see which naughty person orders Sex on the beach ?

Mamissimo Mon 25-May-20 21:30:54

I couldn’t believe it when I opened my eyes today and George Cloony wasn’t there - just the regular bloke who’s been there for about 44 years. Don’t know why I was surprised really!

Today I have had an epic fail with the list....I weeded the drive, arranged the flowers, cooked dinner....and watched the unedifying spectacle of snarling journalists trying to eat a man alive. There is an eternity ahead of us for recriminations and back stabbing.

It did occur to me that journalists don’t actually need to be standing in Downing Street or outside Mr Cummings house - they can deliver their acid drops equally well from their front rooms. Their journeys aren’t essential and unlike Boris they don’t live in Downing Street!

I seem to be feeling a tad puritanical tonight so I will retire early, skewer the rollers in and read an improving text. I hope for an improved humour tomorrow.

Sleep tight

Grammaretto Mon 25-May-20 22:31:22

Hello cellmates. Is it too late for cocktails?
I had a G&T earlier. I am a creature of habit. Not like my friend who phoned just now. She has been for a swim today in the sea! (the North sea no less) We were at school together and I think she was thinking of me when she went skinny dipping (bra and pants) because we used to skinny dip in the school pool when no-one was about.

I am actually feeling sorry for DC. I suppose that's the idea but when the world is ready to crucify someone for doing what they thought was the right thing, it is horrible to watch.

Delightful cockatoos Doodle
sorry you are black and blue Cherry and MrDood
Have you tried wondergel? It is the most wonderful bruise remedy - cool and soothing. It's supposed to be used for horses only but when I was kicked in the thigh by a horse I was given this stuff and healed very quickly.

www.nesanimalhealth.co.uk/gold-label---wonder-gel---500ml-5460-p.asp

Sleep tight and sweet dreams

Doodle Mon 25-May-20 22:40:04

grammaretto will it have him prancing around like my little pony ?. Thank you for the idea.
Never to late for cocktails. The bar is always open.
Sorry I failed to get George here mamissimo . lemon wouldn’t let him out.?

lemongrove Mon 25-May-20 23:12:57

Where do you think I’ve been for the last few days ( and who with?!) Gorgeous George sent his helicopter for me ( my weight caused it to tilt a bit) but we reached Monaco in the end.?What a blissful weekend.
BradfordLass I would say you have a fair way to go until your towel folding matches those pics ( Bradford folk tell it like it is.)Still, it’s the taking part that counts.?
I have brought a wheelbarrow of free ......compost for those who have gardens or balconies with pots on.That, and a tray of Soop’s leftover haggis slices from the bar, enjoy!

CherryCezzy Mon 25-May-20 23:34:26

Can we call the cocktail bar the Lock Up Doodle? Do do remember me telling you all about that pub and saying we should have a lock in in lockdown in the Lock Up? ?
I don't think I should have a high bar stool to sit on though as you know what's likely to happen there ? ?.

Mamissimo, that's one reason why I've given up watching these press statements/briefings and all the so-called journalists.
I don't think the list was a complete fail today, it has been a bank holiday you know, don't be hard on yourself.

Neigh, I haven't tried wondergel Grammaretto ?. I have to be very careful with all sorts of topical gels and anti-inflammatories as they contraindicate with my epilepsy medication ?

About time I ought to head for the wooden stairs... So grabbing a delicious hot chocolate. Night, night inmates ?

BradfordLass73 Tue 26-May-20 05:55:28

Grammaretto It's a good job you gave me all night and all day to produce a cockatoo because I've never folded a towel before (except to put into the airing cupboard) and couldn't find a YouTube instructional.

However, as my family motto is 'Never Give up - Never Give In', I persevered and just as I finished, it flew into the roses along my deck. Got a pic of it before it flew off.

Cherry I know The Very Thing for you.

Years ago when I was doing an article on British Army design, the boys in Colchester put me into a dog attack suit. It's the very dab - see picture.
No more bruising smile
Of course you could always ask DH to tie you to the bed but it might give him naughty ideas grin

Speaking of which....

Sex on the Beach Doodle? I doubt I could manage Cuddle on the Couch without a double dose of Nurofen and a rub down with Voltaren gel afterwards.

Grammaretto Tue 26-May-20 09:18:20

Did it escape from Zealandia Bradfordlass? When I was there in 2012 we saw Kakas and lots of parrot like birds. My son tells me there are fantails and tuis in his garden now since that reserve was created.

I hope you didn't fall off the bar stool again Cherry Sorry that my gel suggestion is a no-go for you. It is a great thing to have in the house as it soothes stings and insect bites as well as bruises.

You have been romping through the daily list Mamissimo How's the grout? My to do list gets longer but we have just heard that DD's dog has had a setback and was very ill yesterday and through the night. She was doing so well too.
She was barking at the postie and running about.
She is a member of that family - older than both the children.

Doodle Tue 26-May-20 11:51:02

lemon stop trying to offload the manure from the Argy Bargy in our luxury 5 star prison. ?
bradfordlass your talents never cease to amaze me. That cockatoo is a work of art. So lifelike, no wonder it flew off. I particularly like its yellow crested head ?
What a fetching article of clothing you found for cherry. Trouble is, wearing that, I doubt she’d be able to move at all ?
So no sex on the beach for you. What would you put in your ‘Cuddle on the Couch’ cocktail then ?
cherry certainly we will call it the Lock Up, and yes I do remember us talking about it. It seems quite a while ago now doesn’t it? We will have a special comfortable seat for you close to the ground and the floor is padded so you can bounce off it gently. What sort of cocktail would you have. I think it should be some thing red and fruity with bubbles. ?
grammaretto sorry to hear your daughters dog is poorly again. Our pets are indeed like part of the family and that is cause for concern. Will they be able to get her to the vet today?
Going to sort out my online order now. I’d better add some of those little umbrellas for the cocktails and some other bits and pieces for the bar area. Never know what all of you are going to ask for next.?

Dreamkeeper Tue 26-May-20 13:29:17

Having sampled the first of (too many ) cocktails provided by our Guv at my humble request, guess what inmates? I actually fell asleep whilst sitting with my PC open to the last page!
Disgraceful conduct at other times, but believe me something I aim to repeat!!!!!
It must be the way you shake `em *Doodle!!

I am indeed having very vivid pictures of our rather colourful and well battered mr Doodle and now our cheery Cherry too,as for those high bar stools I think they need to be parked on a deep wool carpet at the least,we have to avoid any more mishaps for these two.

You certainly have quite a story to tell Cherry and obviously extremely curious like myself, you need to know every "nut and bolt" of the story.Your body of course and your life.We all do need full knowledge as indeed, knowledge is power.

Your daytime activities tire me out Mammissimo simply by reading them,are these normal in your household or simply a way to fill in the long lockdown hours?
You certainly must have a pristine home and surroundings,I am quite envious.
My to do list for this morning, after laying the lunch table, was to head down to the next floor with our coffees, enjoying them in the sunshine on a pretty balcony there.............only one great problem.........we have truly grey skies and not an ounce of sunshine!
Better luck next time.

Hope you enjoyed your foray into the making of a cockatoo Bradfordlass,not an easy subject but you certainly raised a laugh by misreading that for a cocktail bar!!
Much to be said for AMD after all.!

"Sex on the Beac" did you say Doodlenow whatever does that involve I delicately ask???!!! Mind you I have a deep yearning for just a visit to the sea side,after spending a lifetime, within either sights or sounds of one, this lockdown some mile or so away from water is truly playing with my mind.

Think I will give the news a miss today having spent far too much listening to the Cummings and goings yesterday.Does anyone believe I dare ask??
Certainly a well embellished story.

All quiet on our front,not even the usual run around by our snazzy gent.So perhaps an all too peaceful afternoon ahead,however very much part of this lockdown gang!!!
Have a good one........and stay safe!

CherryCezzy Tue 26-May-20 16:57:26

Afternoon inmates.
I'm very colourful on this post bank holiday day, I put odd socks on this morning - one"s black and one's blue ?. Not unlike the rest of me, except for hints of green and yellow and the fact I'm wearing a green dress ?.
Did anyone here actually feel like there was a bank holiday ?? I'm convinced it was fake news myself ?.

I'm still a bit disconcerted by what my neighbour opposite did on Sunday evening. I related an incident that happened when I visited soop's kitchen but clearly people missed my post or didn't know what advice could be given but I guess I am looking for some kind of advice. Me and my WP were sitting down, all nice and settled in our living room with the blinds pulled up and we were watching Killing Eve. Our neighbours opposite always have their upstairs blinds closed and seem to use dim lighting in that room. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a big change in light through our window. I turned my head to look and saw my neighbour had rolled up her blinds and was stood in her window staring directly at our house. A bit odd but nothing untoward. She turned away, pulled the blind down but hovered near the blind, then turned off the light. I was about to look away again completely but then I saw her put a camera through the slats of her blind, point it straight at (she angled the camera) our living room window. I must admit I was quite shocked and uneasy about it. Now, maybe I should forget about it, she didn't do anything illegal but it's bugging me because I have no idea why she has done it. Should I just shrug my shoulders and ignore it, I don't think there's any alternative.

BradfordLass, love the cockatoo - shame it flew away ?. I'm not so keen on the idea of wearing a dog attack suit ? ?.

Glad we can call the cocktail bar the Lock Up, yes it does seem a long time ago that we talked about it - perhaps the prison sentence is dragging ? . Thanks for putting in the nicely padded flooring ?. As for your drink selection for me - very droll, my wonderful brother used to tease me more or less the same way ?!

Yes Dreamkeeper I do have a story to tell and it's for that very reason someone has already used me as a case study for a PhD and why I've been asked to provide my story to include in an anthology. I've had quite an arduous "journey" with the medical profession but in the end all the tests and investigations I've had have been interesting to say the least.
Sounds like you slept like a log last night, I hope your aim to repeat it is fruitful and I'm glad you're not being given the runaround too ?.
I'm thoroughly sick of the Cummings and goings too, I've more or less stopped watch any briefings or news whatsoever and just check out what I want to online.

Hope to catch up with you all later, stay safe and out of trouble inmates ?

Doodle Tue 26-May-20 20:31:08

Well panache if my cocktails help you sleep, I’ll prepare some more. What does sex on the beach involve ....well I suppose there are a few different ideas, but the one I was referring to is Vodka, peach liqueur, orange juice and cranberry juice all topped off with a little umbrella. So nothing that requires getting sand out of your knickers I am pleased to say. ? As for your dreams of a very colourful Mr Doodle I can say your palette will have to now include delicious shades of mauve, black, blue, brown, yellow and beige with perhaps hints of light green. He is becoming more colourful by the day ?
cherry I am amazed by the story of your neighbours antics. Do you know the lady well? Is she prone to strange behaviour?
I would get a pair of binoculars and keep them to hand and if she does anything like that again point then straight in her direction. Actually even better a telescope set up in your window pointing at hers. That would give her something to think about. Odd behaviour. Ah just thought of another alternative. Tell her you saw her taking a picture of your house the other night and wondered if she had seen a potential burglar lurking. Ask if it should be something reported to the police?
We can certainly all do with a drink in the Lock up bar tonight.
Whatever you want is on the house (prison) ?

Mamissimo Tue 26-May-20 21:44:39

In my efforts to side step the list today I have pootled about doing other jobs I hate - I shortened DH’s new jeans, sowed some beetroot and made pasta. I love our pasta machine - it’s solid and heavy and a joy to use. I always batch make the dough because it freezes wonderfully.

Dreamkeeper I’m a bit of a live wire I’m afraid and not very good at doing nothing. Being ill so much from childhood made me determined to accomplish as much as I possibly could. I’ve certainly lived my best life possible and I still push against anything stopping me.

I need to create or make something every day - whether by writing it, sewing it, cooking it or growing it. I’m a doer and not doing makes me a royal pain I believe ? When the reaper comes knocking for me I’ll have to finish what I’m doing before I can go.

Doodle I think Lemon can keep Mr Cloony - he’s a little crumpled now and seems to be ignoring social distancing. I’ll console myself with a lovely Espresso Martini - do you have an elegant amuse bouche to accompany it?

Sleep tight.....Tomorrow I really must worm Fergal!

Grammaretto Tue 26-May-20 22:10:07

I think we must be exact opposites Mamissimo as I can very easily sit and think and sometimes just sit. grin

I was very relieved to hear that the lovely doggy is still with us. She was taken to the vets and brought home with armfuls of medication.

I was so wrapped up in fretting about her that I forgot my zoom yoga class.

A beautiful day with a bit of footering about in the garden, some phone calls, a delivery of food including Japanese green tea ice cream and strawberries.

A dress I had bought online, arrived but it was nothing like the one I ordered. I would never buy a sleeveless dress in coral pink. I gave it to our (food) delivery girl who seemed pleased.

How are we coping with possibly being in here until the end of the year?

Give me another drink Doodle please....

Dreamkeeper Tue 26-May-20 22:13:48

In all the many years of my life I have never come across anything quite as odd,or spooky as your neighbours Cherry In fact I seriously consider that to be a breach of your peace and privacy,surely almost a Police affair.
Certainly you must keep a very keen eye and report any other such acts,at least have it out with them.
Very unsettling.

It would seem reading between lines,and your various comments and all that, many of us here have long tales of our health scenarios we could share,whilst I am desperately trying to ignore mine and think of anything but!
I advise resting and trying our *Doodle`s cocktails,I rather think I had an overkill of "Sex in the City"..........and am coming back for a refill!

Poor Mr Doodle he really is multi coloured,that must have been an outsize whack,you really need to knit him a cotton wool boiler suit! We just don`t bounce at an older age!
I am sure you tend him with the utmost loving care.
I have noticed by what you have said we have rather special menfolk whom have truly helped us in more than a few aspects of our lives,very special men indeed.

By the amount of work you manage per day Mammissimo I would say being ill over the years has caused you to be multi tasked!
I do wish I could partake of some craft work but the truth is I have an allergy to anything remotely looking like a needle!!!
Hearing you mention worming Fergal,presumably a dog perhaps?

Hope your daughter`s dog is much improved Grammeretto,I totally agree that our pets are very much part and parcel of the family.I know with our two wherever we went,they went to........and if not invited then we stayed at home!

A rather grey day but then much later this afternoon the blue sky and warm sunshine appeared........and so did our inmates here!!
Time I was heading for the land of nod so sweet dreams inmates all...........and Lemongrove do put George Clooney down,you never know where he has been....... and you certainly do not wish to catch this virus!!!

CherryCezzy Tue 26-May-20 22:29:28

Evening inmates, thought I'd pop my head out of my cell and grab a fabulous hot chocolate.
No Doodle that's the thing, none of the neighbours know her well. I think she's spoken to me maybe twice in the 6 years she has been living there. I can't say I've ever seen her behaving strangely but rarely see her since she leaves the house via the back, either that or she only goes out about once a year ?.
Mr Doodle sounds like he's all colours of the rainbow. That's a positive sign though since the changes in colour indicate he's healing. My bruises are mostly down one side now so at least I can sleep on the other side ?.
I think I ll (not really a good idea but I can dream) have a quick Irish whiskey in the Lock Up before that hot chocolate gov'nr Doodle

Mamissimo, I like your style. It usually feels better to be doing rather than not doing iykwim. My mother used to say something similar about all jobs will just have to be completed before she opened the door to the grim reaper, he'd just have to wait and if he got impatient because she was taking her time then he could b....r off! ?.
Night inmates, sleep tight ?

BradfordLass73 Tue 26-May-20 23:11:57

Gosh Cherry that's a bit weird. However, unless she was using a long lens, she's unlikely to capture any real detail inside your house. Doodle's idea of asking if she'd seen burglars is a good one if you really want to approach her. I suspect though, from what other things she does, that she has a mental problem.

I don't know why, because I'm sure it makes sense but this not doing iykwim made me laugh out loud.

As a child, if I asked, 'What's that?' I rarely got a factual answer. Instead, Mum would say, 'A whim-wham for ducks to peek on.'
'An ikywim' is far funnier.

"Cuddle on the Couch" Doodle? Let's see. Baileys, a little peach liqueur stirred into warm milk at night and your mixer of choice during the day. With a dash of cream for luxury?

I'm feeling so much better today after 3 days back on my low carb regime. Had silver beet with sweetcorn kernels and a poach ed egg for breakfast - totally yummy.

It's not that carbs make me ill, but they quite definitely affect my ability to focus. Recently, with little outside support, when the vegetables ran out, I was obliged to make do with carbs as a basis for a meal.

Bread makes me physically tired, aches my joints and aerates my intestines grin as well as preventing me thinking straight. <sigh> I know, I'm an oddity.

dragonfly46 Wed 27-May-20 08:04:24

Cherry I would find your neighbours behaviour very worrying. Does she live alone? Maybe she is lonely. I wouldn’t dare confront her but I would draw my curtains.

I had a productive day yesterday gardening, washing windows etc. But suffering from joint aches today caused by the medication I am on.

How is your help that had cancer Bradfordlass you haven’t mentioned her for a while? She was having treatment at the same time as me.

Grammaretto Wed 27-May-20 08:31:39

Morning cellmates - rise and shine!
I think your odd neighbour has been watching Hitchcock's Rear Window. Her idea of entertainment is to be a voyeur and she might see a murder being committed.....
On the other hand she may have spotted an owl perched on the rhone just out of sight of you.... Cherry

The aches are not due to the medication Dragonfly they are due to the over exertion. If you must clean windows, take it easy.

Did I tell you I have discovered the rubbish dumper at my back gate? I caught him red handed and we had a conversation We came to a compromise. He said he had always used those bins. I said he had no right to as they belonged to the council buildings which are closed and the rubbish was flying into my garden. He said he didn't know anyone lived there! The upshot was he took the great big commercial bin across to his hotel where he can continue to use it.
Small victories!

My lovely DD filmed DGD phoning me. It is so sweet - I can watch it over and over. What did you say about going mad in here? If we didn't have mental problems at the start - we do now.

Dreamkeeper Wed 27-May-20 11:50:55

Am about to blow my top!!!
Can I come out of my cell and express my deep frustration ?????
Whilst in this lockdown and shielded there are not that many "pleasures" to our life,as many of you know only too well, but we have hitherto in the main carried on, grateful for all we have and of course always ever hopeful for some better days.

Our garden is our one release as well as essential to keep my dear one moving,this time last year he was wheelchair bound and at Christmas so was I .....again.However I have used all my strengths and will to keep us both out walking,come wind or shine thgrough those two half hourly walks round and around our garden paths.There are 2 seats that we can use when the going gets a bit tough!!!

About 2 thirds of these flats have small terraces that they can garden,eat or sit in,unfortunately we do not have one.
We are therefore more than grateful to the fact we have this garden that has allowed us to stretch and strenghen our limbs, plus enjoying the copious fresh air along with vital doses of vitamin D!

This morning at an early hour we were disturbed by first a van appearing in our secluded from the public garden,quickly followed by another and a third.
Next thing our garden seat is being heaved high and removed to firmly block the entrance to our delightful terrace............. thus both stopping all us residents the ability to use either garden or terrace.

We had been warned at the onset of the year that new electrics to the garden were being introduced, and yes then in the first truly warm week... and the beginning of summertime...... they choose to do this work.It is a 3 week job.
So we are gardenless for that period of time.

With my wobbles nearing the surface as time goes by, this truly has brought me to the verge of tears.The last straw one could say.I never cry as a rule but with all that is happening and my fear for each new month,so unsure of our ,if any,future, this has truly brought me to the edge.

It is imperitive my beloved continues his daily exercise as his legs are so very weak,and only by constant small amounts of walking has he got thus far.
He, just like myself, loves the outside and being denied both in this beautiful weather beggars belief and of course, in amidst this difficult time.

Yes I am fully aware we are very fortunate in many instances and am always saying so,for indeed many families have gone without any outside space for months and I have always felt deeply for them.

Now it seems we too are going to be subject to the same .........and I dread to think what it will do to my dear husband`s ever frail mobility and my sanity?

Also well worth remembering we do pay handsomely for the privilage of having this flat and the garden facilities.

Thank you for allowing me to have my "blow out"Sorry for being such a misery.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion