Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Outdoor exercise ban?

(134 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 12:51:05

Hancock apparently had said that all outdoor exercise will be banned if people don't obey the rules. Is this right? A step too far?

Smileless2012 Sun 05-Apr-20 15:34:40

I don't agree his statement was "of a man in a panic and not in control" MOnica. He's been relying on people's common sense, something the majority of us have but sadly not all.

Richmond park wasn't packed out yesterday because people live close to on another, it was packed out by idiots sun bathing and sitting around on the grass. They weren't out to exercise, they were just out.

If all outside exercise is banned it wont be the fault of a government minister or the government in general it will be the fault of the selfish idiots who think only of themselves.

Labaik Sun 05-Apr-20 15:42:19

Yet another thing to worry about; on our local facebook page..someone's daughter out jogging was followed by a man in a car; when other people appeared he drove off. What is wrong with people sad.

Riverwalk Sun 05-Apr-20 15:48:06

I live very close to the seaside and we have a police helicopter going up and down the coast right now as I type .

Ooh, gilly that sounds very Miami Vice grin

growstuff Sun 05-Apr-20 15:54:06

lemongrove There are hundreds of videos of indoor exercise workouts. Exercise isn't a very effective way of counteracting excess calorie intake anyway.

I used to go to classes at my local gym and have recently discovered that the yoga and Zumba teachers are running free classes via Zoom. I've dug out my exercise mat, gym clothes and closed the curtains, so nobody can see me - and I'm away. grin

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 15:59:56

I agree that when you get a mass of people in flats then people will head for the nearest outside space. People are distancing themselves where I live but there's low density here so less of a problem. The government need to take people with them on this issue. I think that the spread is more likely to occur in supermarkets where people are crammed in together.

grannysyb Sun 05-Apr-20 16:17:25

Talking to a friend yesterday (at a distance!) she told me about her son who lives on an island off the coast of Panama. They all have ID cards and are given designated times to go out. I'm not sure how they track you, but if you are found out disobeying the rules, first time a hefty fine, second time prison!

Calendargirl Sun 05-Apr-20 16:38:52

They are not crammed in together at our Tesco Daisymae.
Sensible queueing system, only one in at a time, numbers limited, floor space squared out, checkouts spaced out.

We are told to go to the supermarkets by their CEO’s as there are not sufficient delivery slots for the most vulnerable, so younger, fitter people are going out to shop.

Chestnut Sun 05-Apr-20 17:11:32

grannysyb - they can track you through your mobile phone. I'm not sure if that can be switched off. You could leave the phone at home, unless you're only allowed out with your phone so they can track you. Who knows.

Baggs Sun 05-Apr-20 17:25:40

If people are keeping to the two metre distancing advice, what's the problem? Either that works or it doesn't and if it doesn't work what's the point of it being in the advice at all?

I think that so long as people who sit in parks keep to the two metre advice they're not doing anything wrong.

I think there are too many snitchers and that some police are reading more into their "powers" than the CV Act gives them.

Baggs Sun 05-Apr-20 17:26:16

PS i'm answering the OP, not the rest of the thread, which I haven't read.

Baggs Sun 05-Apr-20 17:28:29

Meanwhile I've also seen reports of people going to work crammed into tube train carriages because trains have been made shorter (as well as there being fewer running).

Fennel Sun 05-Apr-20 17:37:40

Baggs I'm shocked by those tube train reports too. No wonder the big cities everywhere in the world have higher incidence of the virus.
It's the balance between avoiding the virus and keeping the economy going.

Joelsnan Sun 05-Apr-20 18:07:27

I think we should imagine that there is an armed gunman wandering around picking off folk in their hundreds. I really wonder where all of the people succumbing to it are picking it up. Could it be more airborne than we are aware because despite the two week incubation period and some degree of social distancing, cases are currently rising. I know eventually it will peak. But, as with the gunman analogy, just because he is in hiding doesnt mean he is not there, so would you go outside if it was a gunman and wait to be shot?

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 18:17:49

Joelsnan, I’ve been reading recent reports saying that it’s far more contagious than everyone thought, and that it can travel airborne much further, up to and possibly beyond 6 meters. Which makes a mockery of social distancing. And hence the huge spread of infection.

Septimia Sun 05-Apr-20 18:33:30

Banning all exercise for a couple of weeks might bring it home to those too thick to understand what is going on. They might think that they are invincible, but their families probably aren't.

There was a street interview with a couple a few days ago and they claimed to know nothing about social distancing etc because they don't watch the news and other programmes. Somehow we have to get the message home to such people.

M0nica Sun 05-Apr-20 19:12:21

The issue that no-one is addressing, least of all the government, is the problems faced in cities with a very high population numbers invery small spaces, many of whom live in cramped flats and even, houses with no outside space.

It is dead easy for me to exercise outside while keeping my social distance. I live in a village. Even my two AC, living, one in a town and one in a 'historic' city live in houses with gardens with green areas near at hand. They, their neighbours and friends have no difficulty obeying the rules, but in inner cities, that just isn't so andclosing parks will only exacerbate the problem.

Given the academic attainments of government members and their advisors, surely it isn't beyond their ability to think up a system that enables those living in cramped flats in irban areas to get out and walk around while still obeying the proximity rules.

Purpledaffodil Sun 05-Apr-20 19:13:47

Local police posted a photo of cars parked along road by Virginia Water, pointed out all the extra risks they were taking and giving to others. Threatened fines if they were there today. Sadly I bet people still will do that. Such an entitled attitude ?

craftyone Sun 05-Apr-20 19:16:54

nothing will stop me from going out on my necessary cycle rides. Hardly anyone else on these narrow roads, only me and the occasional tractor

Chewbacca Sun 05-Apr-20 19:20:56

6 metres Gagajo? Where did you read that please? I thought that the 2 metre rule had been universally accepted?

SirChenjin Sun 05-Apr-20 19:35:41

The reports on the 6 metres comes from tests carried out in lab conditions - I haven’t read the paper or seen anything more about it but on the face of it it’s a bit concerning www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-52126735

In answer to the OP, if that’s what it takes to finally get the message through to that minority then so be it. My understanding is that in other countries theses measures are already in place and there’s been no sign of mass unrest.

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 20:05:47

Chewbacca, neither of these reports are the one that I originally read, but I've closed the tab on my laptop and can't remember where I saw it. Here are two others though.

eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/

www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/03/825639323/scientists-probe-how-coronavirus-might-travel-through-the-air

rosenoir Sun 05-Apr-20 20:11:56

I have a neighbour with 4 dogs,they used to be walked together morning and evening, I notice now that they are being walked separately so they are in and out all day. I do not like the attitude of "what I can get away with". As I have said on other threads, what if we all did that.

Chewbacca Sun 05-Apr-20 20:35:19

Thanks for that Gagajo; I'll have a look at that now. Bit unnerving if we've been too close to each other all this time.

FarNorth Sun 05-Apr-20 22:45:58

The WHO now says everyone should be wearing masks.

www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3078437/mask-or-not-mask-who-makes-u-turn-while-us?fbclid=IwAR3Q7Jqmm_ws16pks4sBIC9NzBkb3Z7SnRL2vqCxcz0H02fEhMfjlCEBu4w

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 22:48:34

Don't you think it makes sense really though, Chewbacca? I mean, imagine a sneeze. I'm no scientist, but I can easily visualise the droplets of a sneeze travelling further than 2 metres.

I had a boy at school who thought it was hilarious to cough and sneeze, knowing I was trying to be very careful. I made him sit at the back of the room and wouldn't check his work.