Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Chief medical officer

(44 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 16:51:19

Is Scotland's Chief medical officer post tenable after receiving a police warning for visiting her second home twice in direct contravention of her own advice?

Jane10 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:44:30

Eh? She's not behaved responsibly at all. Liking her doesn't come into it. She lacks integrity. We don't need a hypocritical CMO

SueDonim Sun 05-Apr-20 18:49:20

She isn’t doing a good job when she breaks the rules set for the rest of us, not once but twice. How we can trust her? No one is indispensable and her mind cannot be on her job now she is mired in this midden.

May7 Sun 05-Apr-20 20:24:14

Suppose it puts designated survivor Dominics finger licking in front of the nations mistake into perspective then . Have we seen him since he turned on his heel and the others followed him out of the building?

tanith Sun 05-Apr-20 22:11:43

She has now done the right thing and resigned.

eazybee Sun 05-Apr-20 22:21:39

Only thing she could do.

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 22:22:02

Seems that she really had no alternative. Extraordinary.

Fiachna50 Mon 06-Apr-20 01:10:27

All our key workers out there whether it be NHS, Emergency Services, delivery drivers, supermarket workers etc all out there taking massive risks to their own health, this person made a mockery of them all. How are the police meant to enforce the rules, when our own Chief Medical Officer couldn't obey them. If she had been ordinary Joe Public, she'd have been fined. I am actually quite angry about what has happened.

Daisymae Mon 06-Apr-20 08:02:20

Rather embarrassing interview with Piers Morgan and Nicola Sturgeon this morning. Seems that she did have the authority to fire the CMO

ninathenana Mon 06-Apr-20 08:11:43

Silly woman thinking she could flout her own ruling.
Resigning was her only option.

M0nica Mon 06-Apr-20 08:17:45

I cannot believe someone so senior and so closely involved with setting the rules should flout them, not once, but twice.

Surely her credibility as a decision maker or influencer is completely shot, not just now, but for the foreseeable future.

Brunette10 Mon 06-Apr-20 08:20:18

CMO came to the right decision albeit Nicola Sturgeon should have got there first. She's gone now and I'm sure Scotland has some other medical officer who has the experience and expertise to take over the very challenging role. Cannot believe how she thought she was invincible.

Marydoll Mon 06-Apr-20 08:27:27

I had thought she was doing a good job up until now, but I'm so disappointed and angry at her.

She and her family and more importantly her colleagues and the public, will be suffering the consequences and aftermath of this for a very long time.

I wonder what else will come out, as you can be rest assured, the newspapers will be digging for more dirt on her.
How could she be so stupid, or was she just plain arrogant? ?

Riverwalk Mon 06-Apr-20 08:54:40

I'd say arrogant and entitled - she and her husband can't be stupid so can only conclude that it never entered their heads that the rules also applied to them.

I don't live in Scotland and have never knowingly heard her pronouncements but I bet she had something to say about those weekenders who travelled to the holiday areas two weeks ago.

I quite like Nicola Sturgeon but what was she thinking when she supported the CMO then later announced that she would stay in post but withdraw from public view? I thought NS would be more politically astute and recognise the inevitable.

GrannyLaine Mon 06-Apr-20 09:10:57

She has been made to look very foolish indeed and her resignation should have been immediate. But it also reflects badly on the prevarication of Nicola Sturgeon. Sacking on the grounds of bringing the organisation she works for into disrepute by whoever had the authority should have been promptly done.

SueDonim Mon 06-Apr-20 12:58:40

It’s extraordinary how some people have the brass neck to think they’re untouchable. If I’d been caught out like that I’d have scuttled off to a dark corner and hope that no one would ever see me again. The TV briefing yesterday was excruciatingly embarrassing and it was plain that Calderwood was the story, not Covid.

It’s good she’s gone although questions still linger as to Sturgeon’s judgment.

Americanpie Mon 06-Apr-20 17:18:56

Hopefully she isn't going to benefit from a severance payout.
She was very sorry, yes sorry she was caught out. Sturgeon should not have backed her. Arrogant, both of them.

Marydoll Mon 06-Apr-20 18:16:47

No severance, as she resigned.

paddyanne Mon 06-Apr-20 19:04:21

Nicola didn't BACK her,she quite clearly said what CC did was wrong .What she did do was give herslef the time to make the right judgement ,was she able to contiue with CC giving advice in the background or would the country have lost all faith in her .Ms Sturgeon has a lot on her plate ,she did the right thiing by thinking about her choices .As said before CC 's employed by the Scottish Government at St Andrews house NOT the SNP government in Holyrood