Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Isolating friend (other than shopping and dog walking) tests positive

(47 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 22:34:08

A good friend of mine, who has been self isolating other than food shopping once a week and dog walking once a day, has tested positive. She's been indoors for over 3 weeks now.

She SWEARS she's been sensible. Stayed within 2 metres from anyone in the supermarket. Walked the dog in rural areas with no contact with anyone while out.

Summerlove Sun 05-Apr-20 22:38:31

Well she’s obviously not been indoor the whole time if shopping and walking.

I hope she has a quick recovery

BlueSky Sun 05-Apr-20 22:40:40

Food shopping then. Supermarkets are far more risky than a walk in a quiet area. I've not set foot in one since the virus emergency.

suziewoozie Sun 05-Apr-20 22:41:01

I hope your friend gets better but that is exactly why I don’t go shopping and only go out to the garden. I just wouldn’t feel safe doing anything more.

MaizieD Sun 05-Apr-20 22:42:06

How did she manage to get a test? Is she very poorly in hospital?

Pikachu Sun 05-Apr-20 22:42:37

If the virus was visible you’d be surprised where you would see it. Supermarket trolleys/baskets, items on shelves, touch screens and PIN numbers, doors, etc.. Hope she has a mild dose and soon recovers.

Smileless2012 Sun 05-Apr-20 22:42:43

I hope she gets well soon. I worry about going to the supermarket once a week but needs must. Don't worry about walking our dogs as much as it's much easier to keep a safe distance.

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 22:45:19

No, she's at home. But bed bound at the moment. She was limiting herself to the supermarket once a week. Like most people, she thought her measures were enough.

No. I'm with you Summerlove. I'm in lockdown.

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 22:46:26

Please let me know how she got a test.
My DN, who is a nurse, hasn't had one after feeling ill.

kaz59 Sun 05-Apr-20 22:47:02

I am afraid that isn't self isolating, just social distancing. Self isolating is keeping away from anyone, even if living with them.

Unfortunately whilst social distancing you do come into contact with other people and you can catch the virus.

I am 60 and my husband 65 but he has chronic asthma and a minor heart problem. He is high risk so cannot go out at all, but I am expected to carry on shopping for us.

I worry every time I leave the house even though I wear gloves, wipe down supermarket trolleys with antibacterial hand wipes before using, take of my gloves when finished with the trolley, then wipe my steering wheel down, I wait at the end of isles until they are empty and come home exhausted and often in tears as I don't know if I have bought the virus home. If you go out there is a chance that you can bring Corona virus back.

So your friend has probably been sensible, but that doesn't mean you will not catch the virus.

BlueSky Sun 05-Apr-20 22:58:13

But how long are we going to do this for? I guess the virus will still be there after the three months self isolation!

Oopsminty Sun 05-Apr-20 23:03:00

Is she sure she has it?

My relatives who work in key areas, NHS and carers have not been able to be tested yet

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 23:03:20

Antibacterial wipes will not kill a virus kaz.

Wearing gloves is good, but don't use the same hand to push the trolley and pick up your food.

FarNorth Sun 05-Apr-20 23:04:28

I think the idea is that the NHS will be better able to cope with us then, rather than us oldies being part of the rush now. sad

M0nica Sun 05-Apr-20 23:16:52

I wear a mask as well as gloves. The aerosol from a cough or sneeze can travel up to 10 metres at speed and carry viral material and bacteria at a significant enough height to reach other people's faces.

janipat Sun 05-Apr-20 23:16:57

GagaJo if you feel able I'd also like to know where your friend lives and got tested. My daughter-in-law was sent to hospital by her GP because he was worried about her heart after she's displayed symptoms for 3 weeks now and is still struggling for breath and experiencing pain in her left chest. Thankfully the tests showed her heart is undamaged, but still she wasn't tested for CV because "only seriously ill patients in hospital" re tested. I could scream, we need to know what she is fighting. The hospital said she is having a sever reaction to "a virus" but won't try to identify which.

janipat Sun 05-Apr-20 23:18:14

*are tested

janipat Sun 05-Apr-20 23:19:33

must check posts before submitting..... *severe

theretheredear Mon 06-Apr-20 00:20:06

Callistemom
Of course antibacterial wipes will kill a virus, even soap & water kills the virus.. Why do you think it won't?

growstuff Mon 06-Apr-20 01:01:18

Errrmmm ... simply really thereheredear … bacteria and viruses are totally different. Anti-bacterial sprays and washes will have absolutely no effect on viruses. Soap kills coronavirus because it breaks down the fatty membrane.

welbeck Mon 06-Apr-20 01:44:32

i thought wiping down would help as it wipes away, hopefully, the virus, just as soap and water washes it away.
whether it is killed or not, it is moved away from hands or products. that seems better than doing nothing.
i went to Lidl today, inner city, everyone was well behaved. we were kept in an orderly queue outside, not for long, only single shoppers, sanitising gel at entrance, and signs about social distancing. it's not a big shop, so difficult to keep a distance. the staff were helpful and cheery as usual. it's not my nearest shop, but i find some shops difficult; so i was a bit diffident about going, due to risk, and travel involved. they were selling a new anti-viral cleaning spray, so i bought two, and sprayed everything, inc keys, bag handles, products when i got back.
there is risk everywhere, we just have to do our best to minimise it. but your friend sounds like she was just doing what we all have to do, isolating means not going out at all.

Daisymae Mon 06-Apr-20 06:50:28

Sorry that your friend is still unwell. The obvious answer is that she became infected at the supermarket. You can only do your best to avoid it. The advice in the US is that people should wear masks so it makes you wonder if this virus is airborne and you have to breathe. My husband is very vulnerable so I have only been out to walk the dog and have spent a lot of time organising deliveries. It's ok and important to remember why I doing it, not to save time but lives.

Scentia Mon 06-Apr-20 07:06:36

I am astounded at some of these comments on here.
It is obvious that there is still a lot of people who have no idea about this virus and I would also say that GaGa’s friend is telling fibs if they say they have been tested.

Scentia Mon 06-Apr-20 07:11:37

Maybe Gaga this is you trying to prove your point from your other post about our excuses!

BlueBelle Mon 06-Apr-20 07:19:38

Unfortunately if this lady is at home she is unlikely to have been tested so is guessing she has the virus and of course she may and probable does have it but you can’t put up a thread as a frightener gagajo you have been on many threads telling everyone they are wrong to go for a short solo walk or a dog walk and many didn’t agree with you, so now this
I hope your friend improves
I don’t think we need to be frightened any more than we already are