Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Tea time news update

(58 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Wed 08-Apr-20 17:41:13

I watch the evening catchup from Downing Street every evening. Am I alone in feeling fed up with the very negative, passive aggressive and often repetitive questions that the various journalists are asking. I am amazed by the patience, tolerance and professionalism of the three experts every evening. I am screaming at the tele " what a b****y stupid question!" " they've already answered that umpteen times", "don't you ever listen".

dragonfly46 Thu 09-Apr-20 08:48:23

I agree about Robert Peston he always seems to be drunk!

Ellianne Thu 09-Apr-20 08:56:28

It's not so much the questions themselves as the repetition and delivery. And when the camera flashes back to the journalists' faces they are hardly listening to the answers. This is in stark contrast to the scientists who make notes, pause for reflection and deliver a clear, articulate response.
I think the best of the pack is probably Beth Ridler from Sky. She isn't as aggressive as Laura K.

POGS Thu 09-Apr-20 11:05:25

I started a thread when they first started the daily media update and I was surprised by some of the reactions, some a tad silly but I found it interesting.

Now however I find it is a daily slog of repetition and I learn nothing. The government spokesperson in charge on the day must ask for questions that are not a repeat of the one before or his/her answer will be refer to questioner for your answer. Ask politely if they have a second/new question and if the answer is no MOVE ON.

This will allow more questions to be asked/answered and if the woeful media cannot come up with anything new that would be their fault for having journalists of such a low calibre.

We need to know what problems require solving, how they can be solved and what the government are doing. We need to know the scientific advice and updates from the Health Service and from that point on I tend to switch off after a couple of questions as they are asking questions invariably that have just been answered for the sake of asking.

I worry this format is now counterproductive.

I always say if you want to hear the truth, hear from the horses mouth then watch BBC Parliament for your information. Channel 232.

Yesterday for example aired the Select Committee debating the Corona Virus Economy Impact and is repeated today.

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Apr-20 07:41:17

It is counterproductive Pogs, that's why I usually wander off - but perhaps that's what's intended.

Last evening's was much better. I watched all of it. But two people weren't there to ask questions!

H1954 Fri 10-Apr-20 07:54:20

May be those journalists that keep asking the same questions are the same people that think it is acceptable to sit in the park, go to a party, visit relatives, go to a National Park, visit the seaside..................the list is endless! You know the type, "the virus doesn't exist" and "it won't affect me"! What a loads of b******s! It will be interesting if there's a spike in cases nationwide two weeks after the Easter holiday! I hope not! Happy Easter GNetters! Stay safe Stay Healthy and STAY AT HOME!

LullyDully Fri 10-Apr-20 08:26:57

The reason Peston may sound drunk is because he has a bad stammer and the breaths help him to control it. You can pick it up if you listen.

dragonfly46 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:16:36

Thank you Lully I didn’t know that.