Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Taking off gloves and masks safely.

(11 Posts)
dizzyblonde Fri 10-Apr-20 10:44:22

Went to Waitrose yesterday and whilst I was queuing in the car park I had plenty of time to observe people. Virtually everyone wearing a mask and gloves touched their face at some point, of those who took their gloves and/or mask off at the car no one took them off safely and all then went on to touch phone, keys, wallet, children etc. Lots of gloves were put into pockets or handbags. Those without gloves seemed to be much more aware of not touching their faces. I do worry that it gives people a false sense of security.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 10-Apr-20 10:30:18

I use Marigold gloves and a washable mask. I come home going in by the back door, straight to the sink take my mask off drop it in the washing up bowl and plunge my hands into a washing up bowl full of water, tepid by now. Then after washing my hands I wipe down the door handles and everything in the car. Seems to be working.

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 09:59:15

Latex gloves are removed and binned. My own home-made masks are immediately washed. and ironed with a very hot iron.

I have made three masks from some pretty floral cotton and decorated them with lace. They attract attention.

MiniMoon Thu 09-Apr-20 11:11:06

Heres a demonstration. This is how we were taught to remove our gloves when I was nursing.
youtu.be/ATU383lIfT8

Pikachu Thu 09-Apr-20 11:04:15

I use latex gloves. I rub hand sanitiser into them, then remove them and wash my hands. Then I hang the gloves outside to dry.

Masks are binned after one use.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 10:33:54

My gloves are washed and dried from my last little flit to the local shop. They never come off in shops at any time, even before the virus came along as hands get so cold.

Calendargirl Thu 09-Apr-20 10:33:40

I take my gloves off when back in the car, and leave them in my pocket until the next shop.
Wash hands really well when I get home, before unpacking shopping.
Then wash hands again.
As long as hands are washed thoroughly and often, I think that’s ok.

dizzyblonde Thu 09-Apr-20 10:29:09

So many people seem to be handling phones, wallets, keys etc with gloved hands to say nothing of scratching their noses underneath their masks. Masks do make you sweat and your nose run so it’s understandable if you’re distracted. Also people take them off by touching the outside of a glove with a bare hand and then touching their car/keys/children so pointless wearing them in that scenario.

Teetime Thu 09-Apr-20 10:15:14

I expect they are which is worse really as they will then be heavily laden with all sorts. Gloves should be taken off inside out, masks folded together and both disposed off into a plastic bag ideally into a clinical waste bag. Hands should always be thoroughly washed after removing gloves.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:14:38

After unpacking shopping or opening the post I roll mine off, they then go into ‘quarantine’ for 3 days, I dont just use them once.

dizzyblonde Thu 09-Apr-20 10:11:49

If you wear gloves and masks to go shopping, for example, how do you take them off?
Do you reuse them or use a new set for each trip? I see a lot of people with very dirty plastic gloves/masks on and wondered if many people are reusing them.