Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Do you ever feel this will never be over?

(339 Posts)
Greymar Fri 10-Apr-20 19:34:35

I am trying to be pleasant, enjoy the garden, chat to my husband and so on. Sometimes I feel I am hanging by a thread.
Just watching Rick Stein in France and I have the strngest sensation that this crisis will never end.

Flakesdayout Wed 15-Apr-20 10:15:32

FranT - I have just seen your post. I am so saddened to read your news. I do wish you and your family all the strength in the world.

PoppyD Wed 15-Apr-20 09:32:37

FranT my heart goes out to you, such a terrible loss is heartbreaking. I hope you find some comfort in the love of posters here. Ladies you are wonderful. I do not post often but have watched GN from the start. The love and support and friendship shown far outweighs the occasional unpleasantness, the cruel behaviour aimed at a grieving family a few weeks back was unforgivable and reduced me to tears. However this was not the GN I have watched developes through the years. These terrible times we are living through have shown the wonderful caring side of humn nature. I have lived 85yrs and people can still surprise me. Thank you GN posters keep it up.

westendgirl Tue 14-Apr-20 08:17:33

FranT , I was so sorry to hear of your sad loss .

Pikachu Tue 14-Apr-20 08:10:47

FranT my heart goes out to you ?

Calendargirl Tue 14-Apr-20 07:23:59

Well, Lockdown will last another 3 weeks at least, no surprise there.

rosecarmel Tue 14-Apr-20 03:26:52

It's a mess ..

I've been reading about child custody issues impacting front line workers ..

Coolgran65 Tue 14-Apr-20 02:36:29

FranT I can't find the words to say how sorry I am.... To lose your child...... Every parent's greatest fear. So so sorry.

grannyactivist Tue 14-Apr-20 01:09:01

FranT nothing can really prepare us for grief, it comes to each of us uniquely, but for a parent to lose a child - of any age - is a sadness that can be overwhelming. My sincere condolences on your loss. flowers

Callistemon Mon 13-Apr-20 22:45:16

That post was to HettyMaud

Callistemon Mon 13-Apr-20 22:44:29

Millions died in the Asian flu epidemic. The 1968 flu pandemic killed millions too
The 1918 'Spanish' flu pandemic killed an estimated 100 million or more. This is devastating but we will find a vaccine

Alexa Mon 13-Apr-20 22:40:32

FranT I am very sorry for your great loss.

Grannmarie Mon 13-Apr-20 20:47:53

FranT, thinking of you and your grandchildren, so very sorry.thanksflowers

Curlywhirly Mon 13-Apr-20 20:09:50

FranT I have only just read your terribly sad post, so very sorry. thanks

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Apr-20 19:37:57

The next super crises coming at us full speed is the overuse of antibiotics. If that happens it will make this crises look like a walk in the park.

HettyMaud Mon 13-Apr-20 19:32:20

This virus has the potential to end a species - human beings. We (humans) have the potential to end lots of species - and we do. Every week an animal, insect or plant becomes extinct and we just shrug and think oh well. We are so arrogant in thinking we can conquer/control nature. We can't. We are at its mercy. Nature will triumph over humans. There are too many of us abusing the planet and that's the bottom line.

Labaik Mon 13-Apr-20 13:34:43

We are learning all the time; even if there is no vaccine for a while there will hopefully be ways found of treating the virus that will lower the mortality rate. As a by product we may learn about a lot of other things also. And the world is healing itself; carbon levels are down etc etc. However how we heal the people that have been affected by this virus is another matter; people that have lost loved ones and front line workers that will have been traumatised; people will need counselling for a long time to come.

Daisymae Mon 13-Apr-20 12:32:06

This is not going to end any time soon. I think that we, as a society, will have to live with it for the next year or so until a vaccine becomes readily available, plus some will have immunity, we hope. Restrictions will come an go, and those at more risk will have to isolate if they choose. We can only make the best of the situation we find ourselves in and explore new ways to live our lives.

Greymar Mon 13-Apr-20 12:30:08

Some very tough times for many here. So sorry.

newnanny Mon 13-Apr-20 12:27:32

I did read a scientist at Oxford university who specializes in vaccines has been working on a vaccine for this dreadful Covid 19 and is hopeful her team will have a vaccine ready by October or even September. She said she thinks it will be ready for trials in July.

newnanny Mon 13-Apr-20 12:21:24

Most of the time I am remaining positive. I am cooking new meals and baking, reading more books, making a jigsaw and going into the garden for fresh air and even a bit of sunshine. I am watching Foyle's War box set, I am exercising on exercise bike indoors. I am not sleeping well and when I wake up in middle of night I just wonder if the world as we knew it will ever be quite the same again. I cancelled my Easter break in France and have not booked a summer holiday, especially as some companies won't give refunds. Last Easter we were in France and we went walking and primroses everywhere. I wonder if we will effectively lose six months or even longer.

undecided Mon 13-Apr-20 11:08:32

Oh please do not get so depressed. Things are bad out there but we will get through as we have got through so many other things. Put your head down and get on with everyday chores - find something to take your mind off things. I do agree that life will never be the same again and we will all have to adapt to the change - I always remember the saying 'life is not fair'
but we cannot change what is happening so we have to face the challenge and survive till we get there. Sorry if I am pontificating but it is one of my ways of getting through this as well.

rosecarmel Mon 13-Apr-20 02:44:13

I don't feel like it will never be over but I havent a clue what over will look like- So I try to imagine it sometimes-

There's so many scenarios ..

hondagirl Mon 13-Apr-20 02:34:32

I was managing ok until last week when I heard my cousin in the UK had passed away due to the virus. He had been admitted to hospital with gall bladder problems and contracted the virus there along with 17 other people. I myself was in the middle of undergoing tests for various conditions and had hospital referrals. What scares me now is if I need medical treatment at any time, I really don't want to be going anywhere near a hospital at the moment!
Also I was watching a programme where a scientist was explaining that there may never be a vaccine.

My immediate family are all overseas and I had to cancel a trip to see my daughter and family. I am getting quite despondent at the thought that it may be a very long time before I get to see them again. Even if things get back to some sort of normality, I think it will be difficult to get a flight anywhere and the cost will be prohibitive. In addition I am wondering if it will ever be safe for us older people to venture out.

I am also finding this time particularly difficult as I lost my husband around this time last year. I was supposed to be spending the time with my daughter and family but it wasn't to be.

whywhywhy Mon 13-Apr-20 02:29:19

FranT - I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot describe the terrible time that you are going through. I feel like this hell is never going to end and if it does then the world will never be the same again. Sending love and hugs but even that is just not enough. X

rosecarmel Mon 13-Apr-20 02:21:34

FranT, I'm sorry for your losses-