Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Do you ever feel this will never be over?

(338 Posts)
Greymar Fri 10-Apr-20 19:34:35

I am trying to be pleasant, enjoy the garden, chat to my husband and so on. Sometimes I feel I am hanging by a thread.
Just watching Rick Stein in France and I have the strngest sensation that this crisis will never end.

MawB Fri 10-Apr-20 19:38:19

I think we all know the feeling Greymar but we have to believe that it will end even if, far from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, we cannot even imagine where the end of the tunnel will be.
flowers Bon courage!

SueDonim Fri 10-Apr-20 19:38:35

I think I’m more worried that it will end, then resurge, maybe more than once. sad

Fiachna50 Fri 10-Apr-20 19:39:52

You have to take each day as it comes. If you try to think ahead you will just drive yourself crazy. One day at a time never rang truer than now. Have a nice Easter and enjoy your garden.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 10-Apr-20 19:41:08

I think most of us think the same Greymar,

Urmstongran Fri 10-Apr-20 19:41:52

It’s understandable Greymar as it’s the unknown isn’t it? I think we probably all have a wobble now and again. I find I’m mostly okay during the day but if I wake in the wee small hours the awfulness of it all hits me. The lockdowns world wide, the sheer scale of the pandemic, the major hits to global economy, the anxiety it all generates. It seems surreal. Like a dystopian novel. It frightens me. Then I go back to sleep until another day loops around.

Greymar Fri 10-Apr-20 19:42:04

Thank You , I can't settle to anything. So much for all this learn another language and so on!

Labaik Fri 10-Apr-20 20:00:10

Sometimes I feel I want to do a sort of Russian Roulette with myself and find out if I'm someone who would survive the virus or not; the uncertainty of not knowing frightens me.; does that make sense or am I just losing the plot? I am having a bit of a wobble today I must admit.

Oopsminty Fri 10-Apr-20 20:00:12

This too shall pass.

As my wonderful Grandma always used to say

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 20:04:16

I've had the same conversation with a friend today saying pretty much the same thing. I can't decide if it will get easier as we become more used to this way of life, or harder. But today has felt particularly difficult.

Greymar Fri 10-Apr-20 20:04:46

Yes Oops, but thats it, I am beginning to feel as if it won't pass. As if this is it and I will be trapped here forever.

please, nobody tell me it could be worse.

Sorry Laibaik , a tough day by the sound of it.

Urmstongran Fri 10-Apr-20 20:10:16

No, Greymar, nobody should tell you ‘it could be worse’ as, right now you’re going through a tough time emotionally. I think you need a big hug.
?
It’s scary. All we can do is hope for better times ahead. x

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 20:11:28

But it has only just begun!

I am peculiarly numb about the whole thing. It still feels surreal and I feel completely dissasciated from it all. I have a lot to do and I am glad of the possibility of completing projects I have wanted to do for years. DH has been working all most non-stop as well, 3 Skype meetings in a row, 6.00am phone calls, lunch al desko. In a few weeks this project will be complete and he will not be working so hard, it may hit me then.

I also think it is the not seeing people one knows and talking and seeing them in real life. I realised that when I spoke to my neighbours briefly last night when we were all out clapping for the NHS. I suddenly realised how I missed seeing people I know, walking around the village and saying hallo to everyone, one passes isn't the same because I do not know them.

The good weather helps as well, there is so much to do in the garden and by the time I come in I am so tired.

I am sure it will hit me soon, but the longer it takes the better.

Greymar Fri 10-Apr-20 20:17:28

Mmmm, food for thought folks. I did hear that the brain actually "likes" ticking things off a list. It fires up the reward pathways. Even if the things are mundane.

MerylStreep Fri 10-Apr-20 20:21:50

Do you ever feel that this will never be over
No, not one bit, never. Maybe it might be different if we didn't have such lovely neighbours ( and low garden fences)
Every day and all through the day there's always at least 8 neighbours out in their gardens. We have lovely funny, informative conversations, shop for each other.
OH had to go into neighbours house a few days ago as she had a rat in her sitting room.
Before someone tells me I'm missing something: no I'm not. I'm fully aware of how serous this. My immediate neighbour is a nurse doing 12 hr days. I take precautions and I haven't been out of my Close for 3 weeks but I'm not worried.

Dollymc1 Fri 10-Apr-20 20:32:15

It's so difficult isn't it?
I have wobbly times, but hang onto the thought that 'this too shall pass'
My sleep pattern has altered, I miss my daughter, I miss my son,
I miss my grandchildren
I feel tired and I am not doing anything like as much as I usually do
It will end though Grey ?

Sussexborn Fri 10-Apr-20 20:33:48

My Wobbliest moment was when the text appeared on my mobile. Quite ridiculous but I connected it with the Aldara treatment I used twice last year. It is a kind of immune therapy and my mind took a leap that it somehow made me more vulnerable and singled me out.

I also find I am watching tv that was recorded years ago and mentally judging the lack of social distancing! I fear I have already become institutionalised.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 20:35:15

I've got so many unfinished projects that I could be doing but just don't seem to be able to settle to any of them. The best I've accomplished today was cleaning the windows inside and out.

Greymar Fri 10-Apr-20 20:38:22

My sleep is all up the creek. Eating could easily go too, but I try to stick to meal times. Motivation is very poor.

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Apr-20 20:47:38

I’m not sleeping properly either. I feel fine during the day (except for one particularly bad day of wobbles) but I’m having disturbed sleep and vivid dreams so I know I’m worried by it all. Still, I feel we’ve got it easy compared with other countries such as in Africa where they’re fighting plagues of locusts as well.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 20:47:54

It's tough greymar and when sleep patterns are all over the place, that makes things feel worse. Are you able to get out for a walk or bike ride at all?

Labaik Fri 10-Apr-20 20:55:54

Sussexborn; a facebook chum said the other night he was watching an old film on tv and was thinking to himself 'they're all standing too close'....

ginny Fri 10-Apr-20 20:56:01

I’m sure it will end . I try telling myself that I’m lucky to have a loving family who are in touch frequently. Also the same with friends.
We don’t have any particular money worries, a nice house and garden , managing to get enough food and can go for a walk.
But Greymar, I feel the same as you, some days are very wobbly . I know many are worse off than we are but we all have to deal with what we have to deal with.

Harris27 Fri 10-Apr-20 20:59:26

Were in the north east and behind London by two weeks this news has upset me even more and has filled me with dread. A new hospital nit far from me is being built it’s really so upsetting.

SuzannahM Fri 10-Apr-20 21:01:07

@Labaik - hmm I've done that too !!

I was watching a West Wing DVD the other night, as a group of people walked through the West Wing I told my OH "Blimey they're all getting a bit close"