Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

This bloody running thing!

(41 Posts)
Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 20:11:38

How on earth did we survive before the dawn of lycra and 200 quid shoes.. I am sick of the pavement pounders, huffing and puffing and sweating. Can't they do it at home?

Bibbity Sun 12-Apr-20 22:02:25

Can....they run at home?

?‍♀️

Barmeyoldbat Sun 12-Apr-20 22:18:11

I met a n elderly lady who had just done a 20 mile run around the Elan Valley. She took up running at 63 when her Dr told her she needed to do some exercise. The only exercise she could think of that wouldn't cost ay money was running so that what she did. So its never to late to start.
Mr Barmey still runs and I still cycle but I have a bell on my bike which I use.

MiniMoon Sun 12-Apr-20 22:26:42

My cousin lives in South Africa, they cant even go out into the street. He and his wife are long distance running fans and are members of a running club. The club member decided to do a 42 km run in their gardens, at 2 km per day. He sent me a screenshot from his phone with his run mapped out by a red line. It looked like one of the pictures my granddaughter used to give me when she was 2 a big red scribble. I had to laugh.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 23:01:06

Oh no, not Shoezone!
Don't they run in onesies?
Or Vans?

JenniferEccles Sun 12-Apr-20 23:11:08

I think it’s great that so many people are getting out and exercising, either running , jogging or walking.

In fact wouldn’t it be great if as a nation we used this opportunity to lower the shocking levels of obesity in this country?
There really is no excuse now everyone has time on their hands and the weather is good.

After all the NHS will come out of this on its knees, and the last thing it will need is a backlog of obesity related illnesses (of which there are many) to contend with.

So please don’t complain about those improving their health by running.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 23:13:29

Oh dear, some of us are baking ....

hondagirl Sun 12-Apr-20 23:13:42

I find the problem with runners is that if they are behind you then you don't have much time to move out of the way. When walking you can see who is coming in front of you and take evasive action. I have been out walking on a couple of occasions when someone has come up running behind me and not observed the social distancing rules by running very close past me, and huffing and puffing, who knows what germs they are sending out as they run past.

seastar Mon 13-Apr-20 02:05:01

During lockdown some runners don't run around people keeping 2m distance. They run past really close and breathe hard spreading any possible germs. Cyclists, scooters etc do the same. Really annoying and they are putting other people's lives at risk. They NEED TO KEEP 2m AWAY EVEN WHEN OUT RUNNING!

Marmight Mon 13-Apr-20 06:00:15

Last sunday, when he should have been running the Paris Marathon, my SiL ran the equivalent round the village in 4.15 hours. He didn't pass a soul apart from DD who handed out water & snacks from the front garden as he ran by. I think he's been sticking to the sofa ever since!

Fiachna50 Mon 13-Apr-20 09:58:56

I do not have a problem with runners, but many of them seem to have no knowledge of what social distancing actually is. After I had one runner squeeze past me sweating and panting all over the place, when he had plenty of space to go another way but didn't. I would have tackled him about it, except he was a big bloke and there was no one else around at the time.Im afraid it put me right off going a daily walk.

Callistemon Mon 13-Apr-20 10:16:46

Marmight someone did the same round his small back garden!

We don't have many runners here, the occasional ones.
But cyclists in huge groups, as whole clubs come out together, tend to dominate the roads as well as motorcyclists.

Calendargirl Mon 13-Apr-20 10:31:58

There was a chap on the News a few nights ago who had climbed the equivalent of Mount Everest going up and down his stairs!
Think it took him a day or two.

?‍♂️

Alexa Mon 13-Apr-20 10:38:23

I guess "the pavement pounders" would rather run in the country or on a beach.

Running is a skill that improves health without endangering others. It also improves mental health as it engenders a quiet meditative state and I wish I could do it!

trisher Mon 13-Apr-20 10:39:16

We have runners and cyclists. The roads now are mostly free of cars so I don't understand why the cyclists don't use them. The runners seem to expect you to get out of their way and don't move even when the pavement is narrow. I can manage the ones coming towards me, I've taken to crossing the road, but the ones that sneak up behind me are a right pain.

PamelaJ1 Mon 13-Apr-20 10:42:12

Phoenix, you must live near me, our vicar is a serious runner too.
I tried it once, a neighbour stopped and offered me a lift??
Never again. Most of them look miserable anyway.