Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

ANGER

(362 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 13-Apr-20 09:17:55

We need to be angry. We need to hold the government to account.

Yes, many of the populace are not abiding by the very lax lockdown. BUT the government should have abided by the WHO advice to TEST, TEST, TEST. By not doing that, they will have cost tens of thousands of British deaths. Our family members, our friends, our colleagues.

When this is over / slowing down, they need to be held accountable. We had THREE months notice. We watched Italy and Spain. And yet, they did nothing.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/12/uk-coronavirus-deaths-preventable-government-account?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR2jsLJsSxRe8KZ21zS-K3eLKre7QRajhPRhzpLliH2NnAJ9iQwM9Km-FmI

Ilovecheese Sat 18-Apr-20 18:58:56

Lots of different people are doing essential jobs. Some of them will appreciate the clapping etc. And some will not. Some will feel patronised. None of these reactions are wrong, just different because people are different.

EllanVannin Sat 18-Apr-20 18:57:45

What makes a person any better just because they work from home ? A damn shocking indictment of the way society is viewed by some.

EllanVannin Sat 18-Apr-20 18:54:20

Anger ? Indeed ! Some idiot was talking about furloughing and those who are able to work from home.
Here's what this idiot had to say about those who work from home----somehow these people were classed as the " richer " individuals with better jobs while the poorer class were those who were either in jobs where you couldn't work from home and tended to be poorer.
What ? I was incensed. How can doctors/nurses/hospital staff in general do their work from home ?

I wish I could remember who'd said it on TV this morning. I was so carried away with what was said I couldn't believe that class would ever come into such a situation that we have.

Iam64 Sat 18-Apr-20 18:46:18

Yes, we all wish the virus hadn't happened. Those of us who believe we could/should have locked down sooner wish that for example, the Cheltenham races had been (sensibly)cancelled. No going back is there, decisions were made, I feel fairly confident, without malicious intent. Poor Mr Johnson was so ill he needed to go into hospital then into ICU. I don't expect anyone needs to shout at him that he didn't get it quite right

We were out at 8 on Thursday evening to clap. So were all our neighbours, including our retired firefighter, his wife who is a midwife, the retired teacher, engineer, dinner lady, police officer, two teachers, our dentists wife etc etc - pans were being banged, handbells rung and further down the road fireworks being set off. Im lucky, my dogs aren't in the least worried and so far as I know neither is the retired military person across the road. Id prefer no fireworks but I don't want to criticise anyone who is joining the weekly show of support for our NHS and for everyone at the front line helping us through this difficult time.

Its tough enough without anger or constant criticisms.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 18-Apr-20 18:45:06

Its in todays Guardian and I believe it was also mentioned into days briefing about now tracing contacts. No I am sorry to disap I don't make things up.

Chewbacca Sat 18-Apr-20 18:31:14

I know of 2 nurses and all my family who are essential and NHS workers certainly think its two faced.

Maybe the the people you know are curmudgeonly just natural cynics barmyoldbat? These certainly aren't and they appreciate the public's recognition of what theyre doing on our behalf:

^A&E nurse moved to tears as millions across UK applaud NHS staff – video^

www.theguardian.com/society/video/2020/mar/27/a-and-e-nurse-moved-to-tears-millions-uk-applaud-nhs-video

^Coronavirus: NHS staff thank public after national applause^

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-nation-takes-part-in-clap-for-carers-to-thank-nhs-staff-11964226

Sarah said as people stood on their doorsteps and clapped for the NHS she felt overwhelmed. I feel proud of myself...but I feel most proud for my friends and my colleagues that I stand beside every day and every night,"

hmm

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 18:15:24

Do you have a link to that please Barmyoldbat otherwise I may think that you did make it up, even if you thought you couldn't.

Is that an app that has only just been developed?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 18-Apr-20 17:48:10

So now we are going to tracing all contacts of people with the virus, you couldn't make it up

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Apr-20 17:28:50

I'm sure there are many who appreciate the coming together of so many to show their gratitude Callistemonsmile. It's a shame that some are cynical.

We clap every week and will continue to do so and there's nothing hypocritical or naive about us. Such a shame that some see what's bringing the country together as "the emotional manipulation of the naive masses".

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 16:38:10

Really?
My DN is working in ICU and pleased that the population is appreciative of all they are going through.

Let's hope it is not forgotten when all this is over.

GrannieIggle Sat 18-Apr-20 16:34:24

Barmeyoldbat Fri 17-Apr-20 14:09:12
I know of 2 nurses and all my family who are essential and NHS workers certainly think its two faced.

My son's a senior police officer. You can bet he's absolutely cynical about the clapping hypocrisy and the emotional manipulation of the naive masses.

(In thanks, he would far prefer more time to be with his family - that is, far more police officers thus more time to do his job properly - and better pay. As for a lot of doctors and nurses, 70hr weeks are usual for him, virus or no virus).

Smileless2012 Sat 18-Apr-20 13:36:30

You're right Barmeyoldbat you didn't say those who voted Tory shouldn't clap for the NHS, you said they were two faced for doing so. Just as bad IMO.

MaizieD Sat 18-Apr-20 09:59:26

Burberry and Barbour are making PPE now too.

Yes, I understand that Barbour are making and distributing but Burberry don't appear to have started making them yet according to this tweet from yesterday (which says that the information is sourced from R4 Today programme)

Bruce McD @brucemcd23
·
Apr 17
How many times has #MattHancock name checked Burberry as enlisted to help overcome the PPE supply issue ?

Turns out they haven’t received clearance to begin production yet

According to #R4Today Burberry hope to begin production on Monday

Starblaze Sat 18-Apr-20 09:58:17

I'm not angry, I'm not surprised either. I'm very very sad. I would if I could sew, at all.

craftyone Sat 18-Apr-20 07:52:19

oops: making scrubs or masks instead of being angry starblaze. Better to be positive than always negative

craftyone Sat 18-Apr-20 07:51:09

try making some scrubs or being angry starblaze, much better for your own health than this anger which has no substance

Starblaze Sat 18-Apr-20 01:32:31

Our government dithered for at least 11 days. Imagine how many were infected in those 11 days and how many could have lived. We could have been testing and tracing by now. People died and that's not forgivable. We should not forget.

maddyone Fri 17-Apr-20 23:47:35

Maizie
It would be absolutely terrible to know that you had infected someone terminally with the virus, whatever they were wearing. How you live with yourself after that is hard to imagine.

At the moment my daughter and her husband have enough PPE but who knows for the future? I pin my hopes for all medics, wherever they are, and in whichever country they are working in, on the PPE that is being manufactured everywhere, and that production has been stepped up, and then on that PPE arriving quickly so it can be used.
In my area, the south coast, people are sewing scrubs at home. Lots of ladies who can sew and are stuck at home are making scrubs to be used in the hospitals and care homes. They appear to be washable too, made from fabric. Burberry and Barbour are making PPE now too. Plane loads of it are flying in every day, but the need is great and it all has to be distributed.

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 22:13:30

At that time I did not have something which was transmittable to anyone else, MaizieD.

Anniebach Fri 17-Apr-20 21:27:23

I received an email today from Canada, same is happening there,

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 21:13:24

At least my young relative has the full equipment at the moment and I hope that remains the same as long as she needs it.

MaizieD Fri 17-Apr-20 21:10:16

Sorry, Callistomen, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, what an awful thing to have to live with if one was aware that one had fatally infected someone who was caring for you...

But the consequence of ill protected staff is their vulnerability to infection from this highly contagious virus. I suspect the fact that there is a supposed world wide shortage of PPE isn't much consolation to the staff who are risking their lives daily.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Apr-20 19:16:25

grin oh barmeyoldbat, can you not see the irony in your post?

No Anniebach, no badges; I'm fairly sure it was telepathy!

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 18:56:42

Chewbacca do grow up, of course they weren't asked. grin

How did you know, then *Barmeyoldbat^

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 18:53:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.