Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

When the time comes I’m not going into a Care Home

(156 Posts)
oscaro11 Tue 14-Apr-20 08:02:22

My mother in law was living in a house too large for her but didn’t want a care home. She’s moved into a McCarthy and Stone apartment for the 70 pluses. They have very caring management and a call buzzer system if they need help. She loves it there. Always says it’s the best thing she did. It helps that she’s still mobile and lucid at 88 of course. They are in strict lockdown at the moment but they’re all managing fine with the help of the management. Seems a good option if you don’t want a care home.

M0nica Tue 14-Apr-20 08:00:36

As most care home residents have dementia Whitewave, you may be in no position to make a choice.

My experience of care homes is that all but a few have good caring staff. In recent weeks many have been heroic in their care of their residents.

However this disease particularly affects the old and especially the old with underlying health problems - and you are unlikely to be in a care home unless you are not both old and ill.

You might as well say, that if you are old and infirm during this epidemic you would not go into hospital for ventilation because well over 50% of those who do die, probably higher if you are over 80.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-Apr-20 07:57:05

I watched some lovely elderly folk all clapping and banging stuff for the NHS. It struck my as totally ironic and I felt so sad.

aggie Tue 14-Apr-20 07:49:52

My DIL works on the dementia floor of a care home , they have no cases of CV , they have very strict hygiene , and they are very caring

dragonfly46 Tue 14-Apr-20 07:49:08

You may not have a choice. My mum has severe dementia and there was no alternative. She is happy!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-Apr-20 07:47:26

All they are is massive Petri dishes and it’s like a Brave New World out there.

Eugenics write large.