Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Knitting

(8 Posts)
kaylydia Thu 16-Apr-20 19:36:14

I have been knitting a shawl for my goddaughter's new baby. However the baby was born prematurely a week ago. I have been isolating for 3 weeks now. Do you think it is safe to give the shawl to my goddaughter or should I keep it for a while. Not sure whether to wash it or not as it might take the softness away. Thanks

Septimia Thu 16-Apr-20 20:17:24

Could you ask your goddaughter what she would prefer?

If you wash it you could, theoretically, infect it before giving it (unlikely in the circumstances). Your goddaughter could wash it immediately she receives it if she's worried.

NotAGran55 Thu 16-Apr-20 20:51:36

How will you be able to give the shawl to your goddaughter if you are isolating ?

wildswan16 Thu 16-Apr-20 21:19:37

I would just give the shawl now, her mother will be able to leave it for several days if she feels it necessary.

Congratulations on the new baby. A worrying time for all new mothers just now.

growstuff Thu 16-Apr-20 23:01:15

I always wash baby clothes I knit, using gentle soap flakes and by hand. I dry them by pressing towels over them to squeeze out the moisture.

Sussexborn Thu 16-Apr-20 23:11:40

Ask your niece what she feels is best. She may want to wash it herself to be on the safe side. How premature is her baby? If he/she has arrived very early they may in the hospital for some time.

Sussexborn Thu 16-Apr-20 23:12:06

Meant to say congratulations!

Chardy Fri 17-Apr-20 07:02:30

Congratulations to your goddaughter and family. We had prem babies in the family 3 years ago. I washed everything in Woolite before handing it over.
Personally, now, I'd wash, dry in the sun, put in a vac bag and post it asap. A lovely present might offset some of the worry she may be feeling. Btw the NICU teams are amazing.