Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

When (or if) a vaccine for Covid-19 is developed, would you have it? ?

(100 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 17-Apr-20 20:39:09

There will be many people I expect who will refuse this vaccine.

I have the ‘flu vaccine each year but I know many that are so suspicious of it they'd rather get the flu. These people plus many more will never accept the vaccine for COVID-19.

What are your thoughts on this?

growstuff Sat 18-Apr-20 03:03:10

Yes, I would have it. The odds of catching Covid-19 and being badly affected are high. The risk is worth it IMO.

Whiff Sat 18-Apr-20 06:28:05

As a child and adult have always had every vaccine available. My late husband and I always made sure the children had all the vaccinations. They have made sure their children have their's. It's because some people are against any vaccinations that some diseases are coming back. Why would anyone want to put their family and themselves at risk by not having them done I have never understood.

I am of the generation that had to have the smallpox vaccine which was very painful. You can usually tell roughly how old someone is by whether they have the smallpox vaccine scar.

Even if I had to pay I would have it. I have had the free flu jab for 3 years due to a heart condition. But would have paid as I have young grandchildren.

We have to protect ourselves and the ones we love in anyway possible.

Esspee Sat 18-Apr-20 08:02:26

Unfortunately we have recently been told that getting Covid19 does not confer immunity.
If this is true vaccination would be pointless. It might be like the common cold.
Personally I have every vaccination offered and wouldn't hesitate to take anything proven to be effective.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Apr-20 08:05:18

I think it will be essential, if it works, and there is the rub as it appears that immunity from the disease is far from certain.

I worry about the same being true of the vaccine.

BlueBelle Sat 18-Apr-20 08:10:52

maizieD that is exactly the problem vaccines are trialed for years, this one won’t be, it will be rushed through, whose to know what good or bad it could do, I won’t say no but I won’t be first in line
I do have the flu jab each year and have no side effects but this is a very different ball game it really is an unknown thalidamide and other drugs come to mind

NfkDumpling Sat 18-Apr-20 08:15:18

Well, yes. We’re both stuck at home in the shielding category. No going out at all. No seeing the family face to face. No one allowed to visit inside our house. I can see that until a vaccine is available that really isn’t going to change much.

Provided it’s been tested properly - and NICE is very thorough on this - I see no reason not to.

SueH49 Sat 18-Apr-20 08:15:18

I have never had the flu, and I had not has the vaccination until I turned 65, since then I have had it every year. The problem is that there are always new strains of the flu and the vaccination may not cover the strain that is about. This in mind I would want to know that the vaccination for COVID19 was going to be effective. I would also want to know if it contains a live virus, which could give you a dose of COVID19, or a killed one which would not give you the virus as a result of having the vaccination.

NfkDumpling Sat 18-Apr-20 08:18:23

I can see it will be like the flu vaccine. The flu is a slightly different virus every year, so the vaccine is different too, and it looks like this virus will be the same. But without it, with the risks to DH, our life will be rather restricted to say the least.

Iam64 Sat 18-Apr-20 08:56:35

If its a live vaccine I won't be able to have it because of the meds I take to modify auto immune problems.
I have the flu vaccine every year, and had the pneumonia vaccine a couple of years ago
I'm not anti vac - my children (and my dogs) all vaccinated

MaizieD Sat 18-Apr-20 09:14:25

I think that the fact that the flu vaccine, of necessity, changes every year rather contradicts the assertion that vaccines are trialled for many years before going into general use.

The more worrying issue is that of the weak antibody responses to infection with covid19.

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Apr-20 09:28:16

Yes, though I must admit I’d be anxious about it if it were a live vaccine.

DH and I had the smallpox vaccine, Whiff before we went to Russia as students in the early 70s. I was delirious for two or three days and neither of us has been as ill before or since.

travelsafar Sat 18-Apr-20 09:37:17

I think i would defo have the vaccine, i am too scared to go out and hopefully this would give me the protection and confidence i would need.

Chewbacca Sat 18-Apr-20 09:37:51

Not sure if I would or not. I've had the flu vaccine twice and was really poorly for a couple of weeks on both occasions, so I'd have to take GP advice before I'd consider this one.

FlexibleFriend Sat 18-Apr-20 09:58:17

I have an auto immune condition that keeps doing it's best to bump me off so keep being told "no injections" whether they are pain killing or vaccination as they can cause me to have clots and bleeds and I already have enough of both.
So probably not.

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 09:59:27

Iam64 the shingles vaccine is live and some people are advised not to have it, that is why I asked.

I'm not anti-vaccine at all but would ask questions first.

growstuff Sat 18-Apr-20 09:59:32

I developed viral meningitis after catching mumps as a child. I don't remember much about it, except having to stay in a darkened room for what seemed like an eternity, but apparently I was delirious and very seriously ill.

I guess it's a question of balancing risks.

Smallpox was a killer too, but thankfully now eradicated through vaccines.

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 10:02:48

If it has mutated already then one vaccine may not cover all mutations.

Xrgran Sat 18-Apr-20 10:11:44

I think an untried untested vaccine has the potential for causing more problems than the virus so personally no I’d only have it if it was compulsory.

goldengirl Sat 18-Apr-20 10:22:28

I have any jab that's going having had a lot of illnesses as a child. Yes, I'd have it.

henetha Sat 18-Apr-20 10:27:09

Me too. I always have jabs for whatever. Including the flu jab for over 20 years now with no bad reactions.
Obviously I would want to know how risky it was first though
and take proper advice.

Luckygirl Sat 18-Apr-20 10:41:43

Personally I would not worry about the speed. Vaccine technology is very much tried and tested and it is good that this bank of knowledge allows a new vaccine to be speedily produced in times of pandemic.

It is only a vaccine that will get me out of this situation as I am in a shielded group. So I will definitely be at the front of the queue with my sleeve rolled up!

westendgirl Sat 18-Apr-20 10:48:09

Yes , I would have it and the sooner the better. They have been working on this vaccine in Oxford for a while and I believe are already testing.
I have always had every vaccine going as my mother was a great believer in them . I cannot honestly believe that they would not be adequately tested and wonder if the powers that be are casting doubts as there may not be enough.

Urmstongran Sat 18-Apr-20 10:48:11

Thanks everyone for such a stellar response! It’s been very interesting reading all your thoughts.

Going off tangent for a minute - anyone else got their smallpox immunisation mark done in childhood, on their ankle bone like me? I’m 65y.

Teetime Sat 18-Apr-20 10:48:31

If its been cleared by the DOH Yes but if I have already had Covid 19 which I suspect I have then no.

westendgirl Sat 18-Apr-20 11:07:59

My daughter had her smallpox jab done on her ankle. The doctor said he always did them there for girls as they wouldnt have the scar on their arm . I had mine done on my arm when there was an outbreak in the West Riding,I think I was about twelve at the time and someone at my grammar school lost her friend. I remember going along to the surgery and queueing up to have it done.I had a very little scar.