Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

When (or if) a vaccine for Covid-19 is developed, would you have it? ?

(99 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 17-Apr-20 20:39:09

There will be many people I expect who will refuse this vaccine.

I have the ‘flu vaccine each year but I know many that are so suspicious of it they'd rather get the flu. These people plus many more will never accept the vaccine for COVID-19.

What are your thoughts on this?

Bridgeit Fri 17-Apr-20 20:43:05

I also always have the flu jab, I think I would be concerned about this one though, I would probably want a lot of info & assurance. Definitely food for thought .

Grannybags Fri 17-Apr-20 20:45:12

I always have the flu jab and I think I'd have this one too.

Greenfinch Fri 17-Apr-20 20:47:27

I would definitely have it. My DH is in the sheltered group and I don't think we will feel safe until we are vaccinated.

Doodle Fri 17-Apr-20 20:48:32

Like greenfinch DH is in the shielded group and if it meant being allowed out then yes.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 17-Apr-20 20:52:01

We aren’t shielded but we both have Asthma and it’s pretty bad at the moment, I think we will need to have a vaccination to get back to any kind of normality.

Jomarie Fri 17-Apr-20 20:53:39

Why not?

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 20:56:15

They did say on the news that vulnerable groups may be offered the vaccine first.
DH said 'surely NHS staff should be offered the vaccine first?'

I said 'they may try it out on us first to see if it works and if there are any side effects. We're more expendable than NHS staff'.

Missfoodlove Fri 17-Apr-20 21:00:37

I’d let my husband try it first?

Jomarie Fri 17-Apr-20 21:01:19

Heads you lose tails you win - life is a gamble and if they are taking risks with people's lives then rather the older generation than the younger - just my opinion
I would rather take the risk than allow my children to be the guinea pigs.

MaizieD Fri 17-Apr-20 21:02:04

Vaccines are trialled extensively before they're let loose on the general public. That's why they take so long to develop. We wouldn't be 'guinea pigs' by the time it got to us.

Yes, I'd have it. I've never had any ill effect from a vaccination and wouldn't expect to have one with this one.

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 21:05:10

Missfoodlove that is so generous grin

Trials often take years MaizieD
I don't think that time is on our side with this one.

dizzyblonde Fri 17-Apr-20 21:08:38

I would have it, definitely. Tried to get onto a clinical trial but live just outside the area.

Iam64 Fri 17-Apr-20 21:13:57

yes

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 21:18:03

I was ill after the swine flu vaccine but had had it within two days of the annual flu vaccine.
It did put me off having them.

Kandinsky Fri 17-Apr-20 21:18:08

Yes definitely.

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 21:20:14

Will it be a live or inert vaccine?

SirChenjin Fri 17-Apr-20 21:43:08

Yes definitely - I have the flu jab every year at work in the NHS and I’d do the same with this.

Missedout Fri 17-Apr-20 21:59:05

We are all staying home in lockdown, not just to protect ourselves but to protect the ones we love and the vulnerable too. Surely, mass vaccination will do that better than anything else on offer? I understand the fear of a new vaccine but we may never get out of this mess unless there is some way of stopping Covid-19 from spreading. Prevention must be better than cure.

Personally, I know that vaccination cannot protect me. I no longer make or retain antibodies. Unless the incidence of covid-19 is greatly reduced in the general population, I may face the prospect of having to stay in lockdown for a long time.

tanith Fri 17-Apr-20 22:01:16

Yes, why not.

Charleygirl5 Fri 17-Apr-20 22:36:01

It would be the long term unknown side effects which would worry me and time is certainly not on my side. I have not got 5 years to wait around to see if there are any nasty side effects which did not manifest immediately.

JenniferEccles Fri 17-Apr-20 22:46:55

I guess there’s always the concern that possibly the vaccine hasn’t been adequately tested given the pressure scientists are under to produce it in the shortest possible time.

I remember reading that most vaccines take years and years to be developed yet we are told that this one could be ready by September.

I admit I would be tempted to have it as it looks like the only way out of this mess.

GagaJo Fri 17-Apr-20 23:11:34

I would have it. I don't bother with the flu vaccine because I always assume I would survive flu. Probably incorrectly. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't come through C19.

SueDonim Fri 17-Apr-20 23:16:03

I’d have it. I had flu in winter 2017/18 and felt so bad that I gladly paid the next winter to have a flu jab. I’m eligible now for a free one each year.

Fiachna50 Sat 18-Apr-20 02:39:07

Not sure. I don't have the flu jab after being so ill with the side effects of it. I had 3 weeks of hell and my husband had never seen me so ill. I would need alot of information before making an informed decision to have it.