Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

When (or if) a vaccine for Covid-19 is developed, would you have it? ?

(100 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 17-Apr-20 20:39:09

There will be many people I expect who will refuse this vaccine.

I have the ‘flu vaccine each year but I know many that are so suspicious of it they'd rather get the flu. These people plus many more will never accept the vaccine for COVID-19.

What are your thoughts on this?

TaraLee Mon 31-Aug-20 18:28:00

I would not want to be a guinea pig for this godforsaken virus. Vaccines take on average 10 years to develop and the record was 4 years for a mumps vaccine in the 60's, according to this:

www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/how-is-covid-vaccine-developed-how-long/

Call me a cynic, but I don't trust a word coming out about this virus, since 90% of everything seems politically slanted. It's been a crazy 2020.

But, the reason I'm here at all is I just found out I'm going to be a first-time GRANDMA! My daughter and her husband told us this weekend. It's still too early to tell everyone, but I don't know any of you and I have to tell someone! smile

This could not have come at a better time. This year has proven to "change" people a bit, what with all that's going on. For me, I was feeling a bit of depression, mainly because of the day in and day out Covid talk.

Now I have something happy to think about! Yayyy

GagaJo Mon 27-Apr-20 15:38:56

News that the one of the first people testing the vaccine has died are false.

theferret.scot/vaccine-trial-oxford-elisa-granato-fact-check/

Alima Mon 27-Apr-20 15:20:27

Yes, of course, it is what I am waiting for. (Have the flu jab each year with no harmful effect. No flu either though).

patcaf Mon 27-Apr-20 15:17:22

I do not get flu job even though it is free due to side effects the last time I had it. I also had terrible issues with statins. I am in a high risk group due to age , cancer and post chemo infections. I would certainly not be first to get the vaccine as I do not think the risk of getting covid-19 is high enough to justify the risk of a new vaccine.

grandMattie Mon 27-Apr-20 10:49:47

Yes. I have every vaccination on offer (apart from rabies). So why not this one?

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 27-Apr-20 10:47:23

Yes

eazybee Mon 27-Apr-20 10:39:13

YesI would if my doctor advised me; after being initially reluctant (listening to horror stories from friends) I had the flu jab, the shingles jab and take statins, with no side effects.

wendyann23 Mon 27-Apr-20 10:17:47

I’d certainly have it. Got to be a better alternative than lockdown not seeing anyone or going very far. It is the only viable long term solution

Franbern Mon 27-Apr-20 09:33:02

Gran52 - what can I say - please do not believe MOST of that which is stated on the internet about most things. So people are already pontificating there about a vaccine that has not yet even been produced. And you believe it!!!
Can anyone remember back in the 1950's when Polio was running rife amongst, mainly, young people. I can remember ione school summer holiday during which cinemas, swimming pools, parks, etc. were all closed. Teenagers, in particular were told not to get together with each other, and there were the horrific photos of sufferers in those enormous artificial lungs.
When, thankfully, a vaccine was developed against that, my Mum was told by our GP I had to go to our Town Hall to get it. I went, there was a huge queue outside, and we all lined up shuffling forward slowly. As we got inside and approached the room where this was being given, one nurse told us to roll up our sleeves, a second one dabbed our arm, then a third jabbed us with a needle. Then back outside, and home.
I have always been a great supporter of vaccines, do think that any parent who refused to have their children protected with MMR - should have those children put on the 'At Risk; register - it is such bad, bad parenting.
Have had flu jab yearly, firstly when I worked at my local general hospital and then due to age, Obviously, pnuemonia one, and finally made it to be able to receive the Shingles one.
Yes, of course, when the time comes that this is available will have it - do wonder if it may need to be repeated every so often for a few years, until they (the wonderful scientists in this field), can finally get it under control and eradicated.

Desdemona Sun 26-Apr-20 19:24:34

Yes I would definitely.

MayBee70 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:53:18

I it will have to be modified each year like the flu vaccine.

BlueSky Sat 25-Apr-20 18:05:35

I thought of that... difficult one, especially for the group that it would be particularly helpful, elderly and/or with underlying conditions. But if they say people who had the virus once may not be immune, what happens with the vaccine?

DanniRae Sat 25-Apr-20 17:55:24

I will have it.

EllanVannin Sat 25-Apr-20 17:45:48

It'll be a powerful vaccine once it's been certified as safe and will no doubt make many quite unwell.

EllanVannin Sat 25-Apr-20 17:42:54

Not sure whether I'd have it or not.
I think teenagers should have it though.
As a teen training to be a nurse I had no immunity against TB when it was around in the 50's so had a BCG and also a smallpox inoculation as that disease had been spotted.

I was also vaccinated against Asian 'flu when it was upon us and had 2 jabs with that one within a month----still caught the illness and was hospitalised, but not as bad as it affected others who'd not been vaccinated

Tangerine Sat 25-Apr-20 17:18:15

Yes, I'd have it.

Fiachna50 Sat 25-Apr-20 17:13:48

Gran52, where did you get that information? They have only just begun some vaccine trials. How would these sources know it is dangerous already?

MattJo Sat 18-Apr-20 11:53:25

I used to always have flu jab when I was working (NHS) but, now, don't qualify - would have both if they were offered. Even though there is a rush on to develop the Covid vaccine, it will not be made available until it has passed all the clinical trials.

Yogadatti Sat 18-Apr-20 11:50:16

If you get bad side effects it usually means you would be very ill if you caught whatever the vaccine is protecting you from. I would rather be ill from a vaccine than dead from a virus!

GrandmaMoira Sat 18-Apr-20 11:27:15

I would have the vaccine for Covid19 once it is developed I could. Unfortunately I am allergic to something in the flu vaccine so can't have that and this vaccine would probably be the same.

Purplepixie Sat 18-Apr-20 11:27:02

Yes, I would have it. X

aggie Sat 18-Apr-20 11:24:14

I had mine on my ankle too , Mum didn’t want a mark on my arm ! It was a circle which does seem to have gone now ?
I went for the BCG as a student , but seems I already had immunity, my cousin was in bed for a year with TB and I did go to play with her at the time , I must have been ten or eleven

Gran52 Sat 18-Apr-20 11:24:04

I will be thinking very very carefully before agreeing to COVID-19 vaccination.... there is a HUGE amount of information on internet about how dangerous it is likely to be.

oscaro11 Sat 18-Apr-20 11:15:44

I have the flu jab every year and glad to have it. I’ve also had the pneumonia jab being asthmatic. I’d like to have the shingles one but I’m not old enough. I’ve had shingles and it’s horrendous. Would I have this latest one.?Yes if I was certain there’d be no awful side effects. If we’ve had the BCG jab does that already offer some protection ?

westendgirl Sat 18-Apr-20 11:07:59

My daughter had her smallpox jab done on her ankle. The doctor said he always did them there for girls as they wouldnt have the scar on their arm . I had mine done on my arm when there was an outbreak in the West Riding,I think I was about twelve at the time and someone at my grammar school lost her friend. I remember going along to the surgery and queueing up to have it done.I had a very little scar.