Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Will you be wearing a mask?

(345 Posts)
millymouge Sun 19-Apr-20 17:41:23

When we are eventually allowed outside will you be wearing a mask? Some countries have made it mandatory but the WHO were saying the other day that it dosn’t necessarily protect you. If you were infectious but didn’t know it might stop you infecting others if you coughed on them. But would it make you feel safer by wearing one and what sort would you wear?
I think I might, I just don’t know.

Callistemon Wed 15-Jul-20 17:14:28

Luckygirl

*'You don't die because of Covid - you die with it'!*

Ah - now I get it! No-one has died because of Covid! Brilliant! That has cheered me up a treat! Into the bin goes the mask!

The statistics are completely wrong, then.

How could we have been so hoodwinked?
It's just a ploy to make us stay indoors and wreck the economy.

Ah, it was Peter Hitchens who said that. That well-known medical expert.

As for operating theatre staff not being required to wear masks in theatre - that's the first I've heard of that being a NICE recommendation.
Do you have a link please, NannyC2?

cupaffull Wed 15-Jul-20 17:30:31

Have been wearing them all along when going into any shops or enclosed spaces or where we haven't necessarily been able to ensure social distancing.
As an ex nurse, I felt it was the responsible thing to do to protect others and minimise risk to hubby and myself.
I've had to go weekly shopping throughout and watched folk lean over unwrapped veg /fruit etc and worried.

If wearing a mask only stops spittle from settling on goods that others might buy, surely that's a good thing to do.

Anything we can do to hopefully mitigate against a further spike this autumn is surely good.

SueDonim Wed 15-Jul-20 17:40:59

Callinstemon my NQ medic DD says not all surgeons wear masks in theatre where she trained and works. It’s personal preference. It may have changed since COVID but wasn’t a requirement beforehand.

BlueSky Wed 15-Jul-20 17:59:09

Agree Cupaffull glad a professional like yourself can see the sense in wearing masks in enclosed areas. I know it feels too little too late but better late than never !

Guineagirl Wed 15-Jul-20 18:09:34

I’m looking forward to wearing them. I always did but stopped as people stared too much. It’s like wearing a cycle helmet when I cycle on trails you look silly not wearing a helmet.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Jul-20 19:20:48

As you know that the advice is to wear a mask in a shop.

But I bet you didn’t know that you don’t need to wear a mask in a sandwich take away like Pret.

JenniferEccles Wed 15-Jul-20 19:29:07

Actually there is some truth in the point of dying with the virus and not of it.

Obviously not in every case by any means but if a patient tests positive for Covid and then dies from another terminal illness, Covid is put down as the cause of death rather than say cancer even though that killed them.

Other countries don’t do that so their deaths appear lower

growstuff Wed 15-Jul-20 19:38:54

People can live for years with a terminal illness.

MawB Wed 15-Jul-20 21:13:43

JenniferEccles

Actually there is some truth in the point of dying with the virus and not of it.

Obviously not in every case by any means but if a patient tests positive for Covid and then dies from another terminal illness, Covid is put down as the cause of death rather than say cancer even though that killed them.

Other countries don’t do that so their deaths appear lower

Is this not supremely irrelevant in the context of wearing masks?

LadyBella Wed 15-Jul-20 21:24:17

Yes. Probably forever. I have lung scarring from childhood whooping cough and have had one infection after another. I am terrified of this one. Masks must help. It's obvious.

suzywhoo Wed 15-Jul-20 21:34:08

I am definitely wearing one I've lost a good part of my life to making the blumin things. I had a feeling this would be happening (yes I actually got something right) so started to make them for all the family a few months ago. The blood - using a roller cutter thingy for the 1st time, sweat - hours over the sewing machine perfecting the art (still a way to go), tears for the times they worked but looked like I'd made them after drinking a bottle of vodka, took me ages to be able to sew something that resembles a straight line...............and still can't........

growstuff Thu 16-Jul-20 01:54:58

Masks do not reduce oxygen saturation.

twitter.com/i/status/1283412252578783233

JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 16-Jul-20 06:56:36

I think yes? If it stops the possible virus from getting on someone else's clothes or goods, then it's a must.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:10:27

This reminds me of the seat belt debate. Remember all the idiots who maintained they would never wear one?

Idiots then idiots now.

MawB Thu 16-Jul-20 07:21:13

Whitewavemark2

This reminds me of the seat belt debate. Remember all the idiots who maintained they would never wear one?

Idiots then idiots now.

Exactly!

However this might be helpful for those who get panic attacks.??

From the US

Constance2018 Thu 16-Jul-20 07:32:57

I’ve made masks with a slot for a kitchen paper towel as a filter. Plus I have shop bought and Amazon ones and four bandanas. I’ve worn them outside from the beginning when visiting shops or in close spaces. It’s been good to have a choice.
Washing your specs in soapy water helps with the fogging up. It’s definitely hot and sweaty but particularly the home made ones are great at keeping my over long fringe out of my eyes.
I believe it’s a useful signal and I hope it will protect other people if I am or get infectious with C19.
I’m very pleased this feckless government are at last deciding masks are a good idea.

ExD Thu 16-Jul-20 12:58:39

If a mask really freaks you out why not try a visor? I'm thinking of getting one anyway as they look more comfortable and should stop the specs fogging up as well.

Amazon have them for starters, so do Lakeland Ltd - just type face visors into your seatch bar and you'll get loads of options.

BlueSky Thu 16-Jul-20 13:05:52

I'm thinking about a visor too, I would keep it while out rather than take it off like I tend to with masks as soon as I'm out of a supermarket. They are reasonable too in Amaz*

SueDonim Thu 16-Jul-20 13:46:27

Visors may protect the wearer but they do nothing to protect other people and you could still be spreading the virus around. No medical professional would ever wear a visor without a mask.

They also need to worn correctly, ie vertically, not at an angle, and need to be sanitised immediately after taken off as virus can survive for some time on plastic.

travelsafar Thu 16-Jul-20 13:49:02

Yes i already do and will be glad that everyone wlse will be too as of next week.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 15:08:48

I wore the first mask I bought today as I had to answer the door to a delivery and my glasses did steam up. But I tried another mask I’d bought from Boots that has a nose clip and that was much better. Annoyingly they’ve sold out of filters for it but I’ve bought a box of filters from another company. The mask is called the ab mask and the ear loops are adjustable. Think I’m all geared up to venture forth at some point now.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 16-Jul-20 15:19:03

Well its no good wearing just a visor to shop as you have to wear a mask. If everyone wore them, then we are all protecting each other. I just can't see what all the fuss is about. Wear one and keep someone safe.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 16-Jul-20 15:47:13

You can apparently in England wear a “face covering of any type” as long as it covers your nose and mouth, so I would guess that plastic visors would be acceptable, particularly for those who could not tolerate a mask.

Personally I will wear a mask because it does not seem as if the evidence so far shows that visors are very protective of others but may form a shield to stop droplets to some extent.

I agree SueDomin you would have to be very careful taking them off and cleaning.

maddyone Thu 16-Jul-20 16:01:32

I already wear a mask since I started to go out again. They are no trouble to wear. I’ve got a home made washable one that my lovely neighbour made for me, and some disposable ones I bought. They don’t restrict my breathing at all, why would they? I have asthma and the masks make absolutely no difference to me. I feel safer wearing a mask in shops/hairdresser and I feel I’m protecting other people. I’m pleased they’ve been made mandatory, I don’t care about any anomalies, I’m just pleased they are going to be mandatory in shops. I’m not going out to eat because I can’t eat with a mask on.

growstuff Thu 16-Jul-20 16:32:23

Glad you're getting to go out maddy and hope you feel safe. flowers