Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Will you be wearing a mask?

(345 Posts)
millymouge Sun 19-Apr-20 17:41:23

When we are eventually allowed outside will you be wearing a mask? Some countries have made it mandatory but the WHO were saying the other day that it dosn’t necessarily protect you. If you were infectious but didn’t know it might stop you infecting others if you coughed on them. But would it make you feel safer by wearing one and what sort would you wear?
I think I might, I just don’t know.

MayBee70 Sat 25-Jul-20 16:18:21

Greeneyedgirl; I'm very excited regarding the interferon beta treatment. I do hope that it will be readily available soon; not sure at what stage of development it's at, though.

Spangler Sat 25-Jul-20 16:08:48

My wife told me that whilst she was out shopping, with all the shoppers wearing the obligatory masks, she saw a young man in a black mask, heavy horn rimmed glasses and a black cap. You wouldn't know who he was, but if you looked at his tee shirt, you would see an image of his face, with a caption that read: "It's me, then it had his name."

Out of curiosity I looked this up, there's an enterprising company doing very well out of compulsory mask wearing.

SueDonim Tue 21-Jul-20 18:12:34

Post at 17:35 reported.

sefsky Tue 21-Jul-20 17:35:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 20-Jul-20 11:24:03

Yes I agree Ww2. From the outset I quickly lost confidence in the government and started looking at the scientific evidence as it unfolded.

It is promising that treatments for Covid19 also seem to be progressing. It looks like Interferon Beta is proving hopeful.

I think the concern with some types of vaccine, as with actual immunity after infection, is that the immunity may not last for long.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Jul-20 09:58:57

I think the most rational thing to do is to ignore all messages from government (has its own agenda, and I’m not convinced it is necessarily in our interests) and the MSM, but look at all the information out there from the scientists.

Once you have that under your belt you can make decisions in your own interest and act on them.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 20-Jul-20 09:57:36

Flat earthers? vegansrock. There’s still some about grin

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Jul-20 09:56:08

Spoke to daughter (scientist) who has a friend at Oxford working on the vaccine. Stage one is looking very very promising. Other hurdles to jump of course but everything crossed.

Not sure how the others are doing UCL is working on one as well as I think Edinburgh?

Greeneyedgirl Mon 20-Jul-20 09:56:02

I didn’t know this until your post Iam64. I sometimes think the world is going mad!

Last time I heard something so stupid was from US when a 30 year old died from Covid in ICU, after attending a coronovirus “party”.
I think I made a mistake was one of his last utterances sad

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Jul-20 09:53:36

vegansrock

Anyone who thinks masks stop oxygen getting to the brain- that ship has sailed.

?

Iam64 Mon 20-Jul-20 09:44:32

The news this morning reports an anti vax, anti max rally in London yesterday. Piers Corbyn getting another lot of unnecessary publicity which he seems to be loving

What is going on, what is the problem with people who can't be socially responsible.

Gingster Mon 20-Jul-20 07:53:44

Me and DH have worn ours since beginning of lockdown, in shops. It can only help and it alerts other people to keep their distance. As soon as they see you with your mask on, they step away . You can see their mind working ‘’oh yes, there is a virus around’

Furret Mon 20-Jul-20 07:43:25

maddyone

I already wear a mask since I started to go out again. They are no trouble to wear. I’ve got a home made washable one that my lovely neighbour made for me, and some disposable ones I bought. They don’t restrict my breathing at all, why would they? I have asthma and the masks make absolutely no difference to me. I feel safer wearing a mask in shops/hairdresser and I feel I’m protecting other people. I’m pleased they’ve been made mandatory, I don’t care about any anomalies, I’m just pleased they are going to be mandatory in shops. I’m not going out to eat because I can’t eat with a mask on.

What a positive, sensible post from someone with asthma

Esspee Sun 19-Jul-20 17:19:46

Research is showing that face shields provide little protection for the wearer and people in the vicinity so should be worn with a mask. I am wondering how my hairdresser will react to that news.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 19-Jul-20 16:20:59

Granarchist In Wales it will be mandatory to wear a face mask of three layers thick later in July so no a face shield won't be acceptable in Wales

lemongrove Fri 17-Jul-20 13:43:41

I popped into my local garden centre to buy something the other day ( first time in a ‘shop’) and wore a material mask.
It felt fine actually, even though it was a hot day.I wouldn’t want to wear one for too long, but then you don’t need to.
Combined with keeping at least one metre from others it should keep us all safer.

Granarchist Fri 17-Jul-20 13:24:51

@Barmeyoldbat visors are fine. It is a face covering.

maddyone Fri 17-Jul-20 10:30:50

Thanks growstuff I do hope you will feel safe enough to go out soon too. I have to add, I am careful and avoid being too near other people wherever possible.

vegansrock Thu 16-Jul-20 19:00:31

Anyone who thinks masks stop oxygen getting to the brain- that ship has sailed.

growstuff Thu 16-Jul-20 16:32:23

Glad you're getting to go out maddy and hope you feel safe. flowers

maddyone Thu 16-Jul-20 16:01:32

I already wear a mask since I started to go out again. They are no trouble to wear. I’ve got a home made washable one that my lovely neighbour made for me, and some disposable ones I bought. They don’t restrict my breathing at all, why would they? I have asthma and the masks make absolutely no difference to me. I feel safer wearing a mask in shops/hairdresser and I feel I’m protecting other people. I’m pleased they’ve been made mandatory, I don’t care about any anomalies, I’m just pleased they are going to be mandatory in shops. I’m not going out to eat because I can’t eat with a mask on.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 16-Jul-20 15:47:13

You can apparently in England wear a “face covering of any type” as long as it covers your nose and mouth, so I would guess that plastic visors would be acceptable, particularly for those who could not tolerate a mask.

Personally I will wear a mask because it does not seem as if the evidence so far shows that visors are very protective of others but may form a shield to stop droplets to some extent.

I agree SueDomin you would have to be very careful taking them off and cleaning.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 16-Jul-20 15:19:03

Well its no good wearing just a visor to shop as you have to wear a mask. If everyone wore them, then we are all protecting each other. I just can't see what all the fuss is about. Wear one and keep someone safe.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 15:08:48

I wore the first mask I bought today as I had to answer the door to a delivery and my glasses did steam up. But I tried another mask I’d bought from Boots that has a nose clip and that was much better. Annoyingly they’ve sold out of filters for it but I’ve bought a box of filters from another company. The mask is called the ab mask and the ear loops are adjustable. Think I’m all geared up to venture forth at some point now.

travelsafar Thu 16-Jul-20 13:49:02

Yes i already do and will be glad that everyone wlse will be too as of next week.