Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I wish People would just STOP

(31 Posts)
rocketstop Mon 20-Apr-20 14:54:20

My husband is a bus driver. He has been to work today to take key workers to their jobs. He has no protection from CV.
Passengers have been asked where possible not to pay in cash..90% of the people have paid in cash which means him handling money, giving change etc.
People are only told to use public transport where absolutely necessary, not to trip into town to buy paint or for a 'Look round Wilkinsons' as he overheard some say today.
We hear all about it when an NHS worker gets CV but over 15 transport workers including eleven bus drivers have now died from the virus. They are not thanked, not 'Clapped for' but most of all not considered.I am very sad that people still aren't taking this seriously.

welbeck Sun 26-Apr-20 00:00:47

could he ring his GP and request antibiotic script be faxed to pharmacy, referencing conversation with dentist's.
round here the pharmacy will deliver for over 60s.
dental or jaw pain can be severe. he should still be able to get antibiotics, it's a basic drug, and can make a big difference both in terms of pain and keeping infection from becoming serious. encourage him to be persistent, why should he suffer needlessly. good luck.

MiniMoon Sat 25-Apr-20 10:42:53

Update on DH. He has not got coronavirus. He had toothache a couple of weeks ago and rang the Dentist a couple of days ago. She thinks he probably has an infection in his upper jaw/cheekbone. She advised him to take paracetamol, if she could see him, she said she would have prescribed antibiotics. Hopefully the infection will go away without intervention.
He still has a headache and cheekbone pain, but he's coping with it.

Fiachna50 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:48:33

Our buses went over to Contactless ages ago, though do still take cash. The one thing that amazed me was reading that people are taking the bus to go for a trip to the shops! I do understand that some people have to if their nearest shops are a good distance away. I am fortunate that I can walk to our nearest shops. To be honest I think it's high risk using public transport and its the one place I would cover my face. Before all this when I did use the bus, the standard of hygiene from some of the general public was dreadful. I also include bus drivers as key workers. I did think they all worked behind screens now.

Hetty58 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:38:04

You can't be in London - where they haven't accepted cash for years.

Why accept the risk, though? He could be isolating at home with 'symptoms' - as so many others are.

It's totally unacceptable to expect people to work without adequate protection - so why risk it?

littleflo Sat 25-Apr-20 09:32:12

I would ask him to get the Union to ask the bosses to do the same as London Transport . All of the area close to the driver is sealed off and people enter through the middle doors. There is no tap in or money required.

Drivers health is more important than bus fares.

Chardy Fri 24-Apr-20 16:28:32

It never crossed my mind that public transport workers weren't very special people working in these difficult times. Likewise posties, taxi drivers, delivery folk, those drivers bringing goods to the shops - we couldn't function without them.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 24-Apr-20 15:34:59

Just seen this thread. I too am clapping not just for the NHS and care workers, but for all sorts of other workers who are keeping us going in so many ways, including bus and train drivers, posties, shop workers and the emergency services. Best wishes to all who are having to cope with the stupid and the thoughtless!

welbeck Fri 24-Apr-20 15:26:55

re the man with the split shifts, could you urge him to walk about during his break.
sedentary work is inherently unhealthy, added to that the stresses of driving, dealing with passengers, and now virus, he needs to counteract all that by keeping as fit as possible, esp for heart health, circulation, joints etc. good luck.

welbeck Fri 24-Apr-20 15:23:51

i am surprised any buses still take cash, it must cost a lot to count up and bank each day, with balance sheets etc to complete. there should be easy ways to buy tickets in advance or pay by some other method. this has been the norm in europe for 50 years, they used to have ticket machines at the bus stops.
esp now, the cost of dealing with cash, so labour intensive, it's a pity the bus companies don't make the buses free for the present time. they have done this in london where cash has not been used for many years, so people have to pay, usually by card or pre-paid season ticket.
and i am surprised that not all buses had a security screen, esp with taking cash; what about robbery. this is what comes of privatisation and lack of union representation; unity is strength, versus divide and rule. the worker paid the least, doing the hardest work, has to take the most risk. so unfair. keep safe.

Cherrytree59 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:42:41

We have a bus driver in our family and is a bit of a worry as he has young children.

The first few seat are closed off.
And only family should sit next each other.

The drivers have been instructed to ask passengers to use contactless, but have been told to take cash if offered (even if it is not full amount) if the passenger is unable to do contactless

Most of the bus drivers have been furloughed due to health issues.
So it is up to a handful of bus drivers, to drive sometimes empty buses,
However in the last couple of weeks some routes have had quite a few passengers using the buses.

He is doing twelve hour shifts with a 2 hour break in the middle, during which time he has to sit in his car.
The arriva bus garage has obviously had to close the canteen.

He has been given one tiny bottle of hand gel.sad

Last week a passenger tried to give him a five pound note that he had taken out his wallet and put in his mouth!angry

Most of the office staff are also furloughed as are the union officials!

So no, there is no one to discuss any problems or grievance with.

rocketstop Tue 21-Apr-20 16:07:20

Thank you for all your lovely posts.
The union are onto things, but I guess like with NHS there is a lack of equipment.
I think I was more raging against people who think nothing of putting others at risk by going out on these nonsense errands. I get it, I know some people have to have something to do , so feel they need to go buying stuff to alleviate the boredom, but they don't even seem to be thinking about the situation, just think we are all 'On holiday'
As for the buses themselves, where we are, there is only one door at the front, so people have to be near to the cab, however the firm have now put a polythene screen up on part of that.
Yes, the company and drivers know that some people HAVE to pay by cash, that's accepted but yesterday nearly everyone wanted to pay like that with not much effort or thought going into paying contactless, phone, or pass. The travel is free for all pensioners now, so that alleviates them having to stand by the cab to blip their pass.
Thank you all for saying you think of transport workers and others as we all clap on Thursdays. It made me feel much better that lots of people do think about them and value them.

I am awaiting two boxes of disposable gloves and gel to arrive !!

Keep safe everyone and thanks.

welbeck Tue 21-Apr-20 00:27:05

can the bus driver discuss with his employer, for measures to better protect the drivers. i have heard lawyers on radio say that no one can be made to go to work at this time if they fear for their health, and they cannot be sacked, but they will not be paid. so of course, most cannot afford to absent themselves.
for both the driver and shop assistant, i would urge getting their own gloves, and some kind of face covering, whether a mask or scarf over mouth and nose.
really a man of 68, with high blood pressure, coming into contact random others, i would think is taking a risk. does he have to work, at the moment. i would urge him not to.

Bathsheba Mon 20-Apr-20 23:17:26

rocketstop and minimoon, both your husbands, and many many more like them, are included in my Thursday evening clapping. They are doing such important jobs, and are key workers, just like so many thousands of others, absolutely vital to keep this country from total collapse.

I was actually amazed that anybody is still using cash during the current crisis, until I read notanan's comment that she simply can't convert to contactless at the moment. This is utterly crazy, and is only serving to put more lives at risk.

Daisymae Mon 20-Apr-20 22:52:31

I think that it's common sense that bus drivers should be offered protection just as London has arranged. Why doesn't he talk to his union?

notanan2 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:53:56

but over 15 transport workers including eleven bus drivers have now died from the virus. They are not thanked, not 'Clapped for'

I have to say, I have seen the tragic transport workers deaths reported and also I think most people clap for all keyworkers flowers

NfkDumpling Mon 20-Apr-20 19:51:19

I clap for all workers who come in contact with the public. NHS and care workers are in a more vulnerable position as they’re dealing with poorly people, but with the virus it can be anyone who’s likely to pass it on. So I clap for essential workers. Hopefully one of the good things to come out of all this will be that essential workers are more valued and paid accordingly. Perhaps by paying financiers, etc. a little less!

Fennel Mon 20-Apr-20 19:44:58

Another idea is to close off the front seats in buses as some protection for the poor drivers.
Not my idea - I read it in a magazine.

MawB Mon 20-Apr-20 18:49:41

I was just about to post what Gill said- that TFL buses are now free.
Many of us will have bus passes anyway which obviates the need for any contact with the drivers- who have my sympathy and thanks too!

BlueBelle Mon 20-Apr-20 17:56:04

Our buses which do a 60 mile round trip a number of times a day are running completely empty for weeks and weeks now they go right past my house and never have a soul in them I cannot imagine how soul destroying is must be to sit driving a bus that does nothing

notanan2 Mon 20-Apr-20 17:36:52

I cant convert to contactless. My bank is prioritising debt emergencies and I cant get it sorted by phone or online. So would HAVE to pay cash if I got the bus

Its a shame the banks havent just sent all non contactless card holders replacement cards automatically

GillT57 Mon 20-Apr-20 15:58:59

The Mayor of London has just announced that all buses in London are now free, for this very reason. Passengers are to use the middle door and not go past the driver. A very sensible precaution and one that hopefully other districts will adopt. As the majority of bus passengers using the route out of our village are pensioners using bus passes, and other passengers are able to use their contactless cards, I wonder who these 90% of cash paying people are. They need to be reminded about the dangers of close contact and of the general grubbiness of cash in general.

coggie Mon 20-Apr-20 15:50:37

I'm very sorry to hear that you are under this kind of stress.

annep1 Mon 20-Apr-20 15:50:24

They are not forgotten rocketstop. Nor are the postmen binmen delivery drivers and all essential workers ( my daughter attends court hearings) and those working in places like Amazon that are still delivering orders. Many of us remember and are grateful for them every day.
I hope your husband is ok. And yours minimoon. It is so stressful having to work at the minute.
I too wish everyone would be careful and think. We are in danger of people getting careless as time passes.

Tangerine Mon 20-Apr-20 15:46:31

I agree with you. Where I live you can't pay cash on a bus - you have to use contactless.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 20-Apr-20 15:25:03

I was astonished to see a young woman at the supermarket not only pay for her huge trolley load of goods in cash but also use about a dozen of their carrier bags for which she would have had to pay extra.
I was given to believe that youngsters were concerned about the planet and also technologically savvy enough use cards.
I hope your husbands are all right Minimoon and Rocketstop.