Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

An unnecessary death

(47 Posts)
Chewbacca Mon 20-Apr-20 20:24:54

Maybe this lady looked on nursing as a vocation for life, not just a job or career but something that gave her life meaning. Her family are, understandably, immensely proud of her and her verve for doing what she lived most. I don't think it's up to anyone else to criticise or question her choices. We'd all be a damned sight better off if more people had her ethics imo.

SueDonim Mon 20-Apr-20 20:10:15

None of us is privilege to the decisions this lady and her family made. Maybe she had long ago decided that when her time came, she wanted to go while still ‘in the saddle’. Maybe she thought that when your number is up, it’s up, no matter what you do. I can’t criticise her for that.

SuzannahM Mon 20-Apr-20 19:53:09

Why should anyone else have the right to tell anyone how they should live their life? She was 84, not 4.

Her family are rightly very proud of her and recognise that she was doing what she wanted to do.

If it wasn't her working there it may have been some young mother or father who left young children behind.

midgey Mon 20-Apr-20 19:52:36

When is it okay to die? She was doing a useful job and something she loved, in the end we all die and leave sad people behind.

Baggs Mon 20-Apr-20 19:49:58

By the way, is there such a thing as a "necessary death"?

Baggs Mon 20-Apr-20 19:48:47

Freedom to make choices, even risky ones, is one of the most precious things ever. Perhaps she felt life wasn't worth living under lockdown and she'd rather be helping others while she could. Good for her.

trisher Mon 20-Apr-20 19:48:35

If it was her choice what right does anyone have to criticise her? Of course her family will be grieving, a lot of families are, but at some point they will recognise how brave and independent she was and how she lived her life as she wanted. NHS staff of all ages are dying should they all have stayed safe?

Smileless2012 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:47:53

She obviously had a calling FlexibleFriend. Even though they'll miss her, I bet her family are proud; I know I would besmile.

FlexibleFriend Mon 20-Apr-20 19:44:02

She wasn't a recent returner, she never stopped. Her family said she was fully aware of the risks and carried on anyway, so yes it was her choice.

MissAdventure Mon 20-Apr-20 19:41:44

Perhaps she considered the risk worth taking?

Smileless2012 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:35:07

People from many professions who are retired have been asked if they will go back to work during this crisis, and many have agreed to do so.

rafichagran Mon 20-Apr-20 19:34:26

Margaret had free will, and she chose to help people. It's was her desition, and her family may have supported her.
I do not want to be judgemental, after all the politician's were asking retired people back to the NHS.

Starblaze Mon 20-Apr-20 19:28:45

We rent they pulling doctors and nurses out of retirement anyway?

annodomini Mon 20-Apr-20 19:22:25

It isn't up to any of us to be judgemental. Nobody forced this woman to volunteer her service. She had given the rest of her life to nursing and why should she stop just because she was 84?

Smileless2012 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:18:11

Maybe she discussed her decision with her family and they supported her in wanting to do what ever she could to help others.

I'm not saying she was right or wrong, it's not my place to say. What I will say is she appears to have died doing what she'd spent her working life doing and what she'd been trained for.

"She was a woman who chose of her own free will to ignore all the advice" exactly; her own free will.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:17:43

It seems to me that somebody should have stopped her - whoever she was working (or volunteering) with should have sent her home!

Artdecogran Mon 20-Apr-20 19:16:33

Maybe because she wanted to be helpful instead of a burden. I am sure she was aware of the risk but decided to go ahead. If everyone took the attitude of keeping safe rather than keeping working, we would be in a total mess.

NfkDumpling Mon 20-Apr-20 19:12:25

Apparently she was an ‘institution’. And nursing was her life and she couldn’t bear to stop.

CherryCezzy Mon 20-Apr-20 19:11:24

She didn't choose to die.

FlexibleFriend Mon 20-Apr-20 19:10:24

Well it was her choice and she's entitled to decide for herself.

Calendargirl Mon 20-Apr-20 19:06:44

Yes, at 84 she should have been at home, not nursing.

Lizbethann55 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:05:06

I know I am not always a nice person partly because my children (very woke, politics somewhere to the left of Lenin) tell me so but also because I sometimes have thoughts then think, "gosh, that's not nice!" But the news on tele today of a death has made me quite cross. All deaths are sad , particularly for the family and friends of the person who has died. But this death was totally avoidable. A nurse, aged 84, has died of the virus. Sad. But why was she working? When so many of us, even younger, have done what we have been advised, even though it may be causing us problems, hardship and misery, why did she think it didn't apply to her. She had a family who loved her dearly, why did she think it was ok to risk causing them misery and grief. She did not have to go to work. I'm fact she should not have been there. And why was she even allowed to be working ? Why did her bosses not just say "no" and send her home! By the time the BBC had finished she was on par with Mother Theresa of Calcutta. But she wasn't. She was a woman who chose of her own free will to ignore all the advice. Now she has left a family bereft and grieving.