Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I’d be interested on views on this

(116 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Wed 22-Apr-20 11:34:08

Yesterday bumped into an acquaintance on country walk. She’s 63 and very good health. Lives 1 mile from her daughter and family and was very tearful about not being allowed to walk by their house and chat in garden at a safe distance. We chatted for 15 mins at safe distance while tears continued to flow. At the end she said what’s difference between us chatting here together and someone chatting with family safely distanced in garden or open parkland? I’m doing best to observe guidelines but I did find it hard to come up with an answer to her question ( my grandkids are 100 miles away so I promise you this isn’t about me!)

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:03:36

I had someone bring some plants and rhubarb today. Parked car in lane, put plant pots on ground and rhubarb on car roof. I wore plastic gloves and placed pots and rhubarb in bags then put sealed plastic sandwhich bag with pre-sanitised coins in, on her car roof, stepped away and we chatted for about 5 minutes. Then she collected money and drove home.
What a palava but obviously necessary.

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:04:40

Oops! Sandwich.

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:10:53

It's NOT a recent photo... heaven's sake. Read the article.

Tillybelle Thu 23-Apr-20 22:13:11

footnote I may have been ambiguous about Sweden's deaths. Sorry. I meant, they are living carefully but with more freedoms, without huge shut downs, so protecting their economy, so logically one would expect them to have more deaths from the virus. In fact their numbers are fairly similar, not much worse (not terrible) than other countries. Which begs the question, why did we, and others, shut down the way we did? (With the resultant economic disaster)
My main problem though is that we have allowed quite unreasonable things to happen, even to some Police behaving very badly, and not complained because we think we must do our bit to support the NHS and get through. However, we are losing our Civil Liberties without asking why, and accepting daft rules like not talking over the fence, at the right distance, to our relative! How stupid is that? Why cannot people stop for a 6ft apart chat on their walk? If more people come along I am sure we will disburse graciously. The Swedes manage. Unfortunately the enforcement of the rules, the splitting of the family, the intrusion into our privacy, will lead people to seek reasons as to why this strange way of life has occurred, once they begin to rationalise the COVID situation and realise, though dreadful, it is a form of flu and we had to deal with it, but we expect to return to normal. I fear we will not return to the place we were at before. I mean with regard to civil liberties. I do not think stories of health scares will be sustainable to keep us behaving according to the strange rules for ever either. So more draconian law enforcement will gradually happen, as it has already. People will begin to ask, is there something else going on? Are we being manipulated? Once this uncertainty begins the cohesion of Society breaks down.

Oopsminty Thu 23-Apr-20 22:16:24

Tillybelle

though dreadful, it is a form of flu

It is NOT a form of flu

We're not being manipulated

Nothing else is going on

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:19:56

Life will never be the same. I, for one, won't be indulging in cuddles and kisses as this virus might simply lie dormant, only to rise again a few months later.
I will never like crowded trains or eating out or shaking hands that might carry the virus from train seat to restaurant to home to me.

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:21:10

...and my frequent hand washing will continue.

kwest Thu 23-Apr-20 22:29:35

We miss our children and grandchildren very much although both our son and daughter phone us once a week. I don't want to take any risks. I feel as though we are almost living in a bubble, the two of us at home feels like a wonderful gift, to just spend this block of time together. The circumstances that brought it about are terrifying. I am almost afraid of leaving our house and garden and have not left the place for over seven weeks. Please,everyone, don't try to manipulate the rules. We all want to stay alive and for our families to be alive,safe and well.

Luckygirl Thu 23-Apr-20 22:44:14

* the huge amount of effort the Government has put in to keep people terrified* - I do not think that is their aim - why would it be? They will be the ones who will have to pick up the pieces of the economic recession that will follow.

The approach here is broadly similar to other western nations so not necessarily based on one person's assessments; and I think our journalists are in the main doing a good job of asking why where appropriate.

I do not think that people are unaware of the implications for freedoms that we treasure, but are prepared to see these adapted temporarily to exceptional circumstances. Police who have overstepped the mark in enforcement have been rapped over the knuckles - quite rightly.

The Nightingale hospitals are not greatly in use at this moment precisely because the measures in place have succeeded in not overwhelming the NHS - at some cost, I am aware, in terms of delayed or cancelled appointments or treatments. We cannot rule out the possibility that these facilities might be needed in the inevitable second wave of the virus when measures are relaxed.

Alexa Thu 23-Apr-20 22:47:43

I think the virus will become endemic, and people will become accustomed and skilled at keeping distance from each other. The habit will develop into a taboo about who may not be physically close. In this way restrictions can be relaxed as we can be trusted to use our common sense.

Alexa Thu 23-Apr-20 22:52:50

I agree with Gabriella. Already consumer spending indicates substantially increased hand washing and cleaning of surfaces.

Already, and in an interestingly short time, television shots of people people sitting and standing close together look odd. TV advertisers have already adapted their material to accord with the new social rules.

annep1 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:57:28

I feel the same as GabriellaG54.

Candy6 Thu 23-Apr-20 23:28:56

I’ve seen my daughter and grandson a few times following the social distancing guidelines. She lives less tan 10 minutes away by car and I’ve been printing out her son’s school work sheets as she doesn’t have a printer. I leave them by my front door, she collects them, rings the bell then stands at the bottom of my drive and we have a quick chat. Recently, she brought my grandson who understands why he can’t come close to us. He’s only 4.5 but he does understand why. As long as the guidelines are observed then there’s not a problem. There’s no way we would take this any further as we are both protecting our families.

Eloethan Fri 24-Apr-20 01:38:44

I agree with her. It's bloody ridiculous that people can't speak to each other at a distance.

In fact, they do. When I take the dog out for a walk I often see neighbours speaking loudly to each other at a very safe distance. Why is it a special problem if you are related?

Some people are very self-contained and don't really need anyone else - I have a friend like that. I am very comfortable in my own company but I, and many other people, would definitely feel depressed if I was completely deprived of human company. We need to have a little compassion for people and not be so judgmental. Obviously, having house parties and the like is not abiding by the guidance.

Naty Fri 24-Apr-20 03:04:38

The daughter probably wants to set a good example for her kids, and doesn't want any breaking of rules by grandma moving in for a hug.