Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Dancing Medics

(67 Posts)
Missfoodlove Thu 23-Apr-20 10:02:47

Many hospital staff have posted videos on TikTok and other social media platforms.
These are well rehearsed routines that have taken place on hospital wards/corridors.
Is this disrespectful time wasting or harmless fun?

Gummie Fri 24-Apr-20 16:34:15

I can’t believe anyone would find it disrespectful. They are doing an incredible job. Let them have some light relief.

JenniferEccles Fri 24-Apr-20 16:43:46

I’m sorry to hear that your husband’s operation has been postponed again gillybob

I guess you were expecting it but it doesn’t make it any easier to accept, does it?

Not knowing how much longer he will have to wait must be so hard.

It is thought that we have reached the peak of virus cases though, so maybe things will improve before too long.

Gran52 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:16:34

Medics are making dance videos because they have little else to I..... only 40 patients in Nightingale Hospital so far I see, probably stops them getting bored.

notanan2 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:39:15

I said to DH when the clapping started "oh dear! Every time the great british public put anyone on a pedistal it wont be long before they find a way to pull them down off it with a vigorous bang"

And the backlash didnt take long.

It was never the nurses or doctors claiming to be "heros" in the first place. The public are irrationally angry now if they dare to not live up to the title and act human.

They are damned if they do damned if they dont.

Staff have been abused for turning away donations as inappropriate or not needed, if staff dont show themselves "enjoying" their donations, there is anger.
If they do show themselves enjoying themselves there is anger.....

There is anger if peoples HCP professionals dont come to the door to be clapped at, then there is anger if they DO go out after/before shifts with their teams.

And FYI during the war places like the burns/plastics hospitals held dances on the wards and nurses were the patients dates! It wasnt all stoic then!

Flash mob type dances are always IMO cringy

But the public is being so fickle and nasty at the moment. Nobody is your "hero". If you want impossibly perfect dieties to worship take up praying. People are going to work to pay their bills. Most hope to do a good job in the process. NHS staff didnt start the claps or the rainbows. People wanted to see their "heros" on SM etc and now suddenly they dont!

The distasteful part is the public who want NHS staff to be something theyre not, then villify them when they give the public what they seemed to want a week ago.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:54:30

notanan2 good post ??

May7 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:59:10

Notanan2
Well said in fact I wasnt going to read this thread again because I was so cross about the lack of understanding of why humans need humour but I'm glad I did. Thank you

sodapop Fri 24-Apr-20 18:02:46

I agree good post notanan2

notanan2 Fri 24-Apr-20 18:19:08

Oh and another note about the "good old days" when apparently they were all angels cut from a different cloth. Hospitals had ON SITE bars up until about 20yrs ago. There are many old school medics and nurses who thank their lucky stars that the antics they got up to on site weren't put on social media for prosperity back then!

At least the dancing medics we're seeing now are (hopefully) sober...

May7 Fri 24-Apr-20 18:27:10

Yep I agree I was thinking of starting a thread about "remember the hospitals in the 70's" we had cockroaches

MaizieD Fri 24-Apr-20 18:33:12

Thank goodness not everyone on here is condemning the dancing medics.

Here's a doctor's point of view

metro.co.uk/2020/04/24/spirits-need-lifting-stop-shaming-nhs-tik-toks-12605127/

notanan2 Fri 24-Apr-20 18:48:50

Yep I agree I was thinking of starting a thread about "remember the hospitals in the 70's" we had cockroaches

Now THAT would be some thread eh?

May7 Fri 24-Apr-20 18:57:16

Yep but what a can of worms that would open so not going to go there.Im not that bored .....yetgrin

Flytothestars Fri 24-Apr-20 19:02:36

Friend in A&E for many years said that humour kept her and her colleagues going. Anything that makes you smile as you slip into the pits of despond is ok by me. To those who say that nurses and doctors should not behave like this, that it shows disrespect I say pooh bah, everyone deserves the space to let themselves be happy especially when so much death surrounds them. If it helps them mentally, support and love them for what they do and try not to criticise.

Iam64 Sat 25-Apr-20 12:15:31

Yes yes to Flytothestars post.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Apr-20 12:33:05

My first time in hospital for two weeks with severe asthma as a fifteen year old I woke up to find a cockroach on my bed I cried hysterically ( which exasperated my asthma) and rang the bell. The ward sister told me not to be a baby and stop making a fuss about nothing, I have had an absolute irrational fear of cockroaches ever since.

May7 Sat 25-Apr-20 12:43:18

So that really tells you something doesn't it confusedwouldnt have been able to work in 70s if me and my colleagues were scared of cockroaches especially doing night shift. Used to take bets on how many we would encounter on a 12 hr shift.
Oh happy days grin