Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

COVID-19 symptom tracker app

(40 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 25-Apr-20 15:25:15

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but in case anyone hasn't seen it I urge them to sign up to it and input how they are feeling each day. It's really interesting to see the results of their analysis each day. Regional variations and clear evidence of reduction.

SirChenjin Sun 26-Apr-20 09:47:48

From the app’s FAQs -

“The COVID symptom tracker was created by doctors and scientists at King's College London, Guys and St Thomas’ Hospitals working in partnership with ZOE – a health science company.

The app will be used to study the symptoms of COVID-19 and track the spread of this virus. This research is led by Prof. Tim Spector, professor of genetic epidemiology at King’s College London and director of TwinsUK”

Jane10 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:26:38

The researchers are aware that older people may not have the skills or technology required so it's now possible for younger family members or friends to complete the daily update on their behalf.
Today our area's prevalence is down to 0.7!

Jane10 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:30:05

GagaJo hover your cursor over your local area on the interactive map and a black box appears which tells you the number of people reporting in that area and the prevalence of symptoms. It's very interesting. There are 15,000 + people in our area and we're down to 0.7 prevalence from 2.6 when I first downloaded the app.

growstuff Sun 26-Apr-20 11:31:55

SirChenjin I went on to Google Play and it's not showing as available in this area. There's also something about the minimum version needed, so it could be that my phone is too old.

SirChenjin Sun 26-Apr-20 11:39:43

Oh that’s a shame growstuff sad Yes, there will be a minimum version needed, apps can’t work on every operating system, so as you say it could be your phone is too old.

growstuff Sun 26-Apr-20 13:44:05

I think it probably is. I've never had any time for phone apps and I'd be pushed financially to afford a new phone anyway.

I only use my phone for texts, phone calls and as an alarm clock - it does the job.

My eyesight isn't very good either, so I prefer to do everything at a desktop PC with a big monitor.

How does the data compare with the official statistics from the government?

publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2020/04/23/coronavirus-covid-19-using-data-to-track-the-virus/

Jane10 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:14:05

Why not join it via your desktop? It's a website?
The symptom tracker is different in that it's just local people feeding in their medical state each day.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:31:55

growstuff why on earth would covid sufferers not have a smart phone or Apple I pad. I can’t follow your logic there?

growstuff Sun 26-Apr-20 15:48:05

I didn't write "covid sufferers". Anybody is just as likely to catch it as anybody else. I wrote those who would be affected worst (and have the severest symptoms). As the majority of those are elderly (some with dementia), it's a fact that elderly people don't have expensive gadgets as frequently as younger people.

growstuff Sun 26-Apr-20 15:50:58

I can't Jane. I tried that, but it's not built for PCs. I'm honestly not going to waste any more time on it. I've tried what I could and life's too short. I hate techie stuff anyway and I've spent far too much time grappling with new software to keep my business ticking over, so that I can eat, which is a bit of a priority at the moment. hmm

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:55:48

Oh

TrendyNannie6 Fri 01-May-20 18:17:30

Just downloaded it, it’s quite interesting thanks so much jane10 for posting about it

Blinko Fri 01-May-20 21:34:56

I've recently downloaded it and been doing it for a few days now. Anything that helps get a grip on this thing.

Jane10 Fri 01-May-20 22:31:26

Our local prevalence is now down to 0.5. It was 2.6 when I first downloaded it. I've found it very reassuring to consider when I have to venture out shopping.