Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Panorama tonight

(173 Posts)
May7 Mon 27-Apr-20 20:58:42

Has anyone watched Panorama tonight angry

maddyone Fri 01-May-20 14:06:28

Maizie
It was late, we’re all stressed. In actual fact I see now you were making a bit of a joke. Mind you, my husband tells me I have no sense of humour grin

MaizieD Fri 01-May-20 13:54:13

Thanks, maddyone. smile I was so surprised by your post..

I know that sometimes I'm not an angel, but I couldn't for the life of me see where I'd gone wrong in that one.

maddyone Fri 01-May-20 11:43:45

Thank you Maizie your explanation has clarified what you actually meant.
I don’t for one minute think a person’s political views in any way defines what they think about charitable giving. People on the left and on the right give to charity, help others etc. There is no ownership of charitable giving.

MaizieD Fri 01-May-20 10:40:55

You shouldn't have posted at all, maddyone. I hope you understand the explanation I have just posted better than you understood my original comment.

MaizieD Fri 01-May-20 10:38:30

I just want to clarify, in view of maddyone's strange reaction to it, that my comment at 21.28 last night was meant to be sarcastic (and not in the way that Trump has repurposed the word).

Having spent quite some time in the past day or two responding to posts which were implying that the the Panorama programme was somehow invalid because participants were left wing, and that our PPE supply was fine, I thought it was quite amusing that the rightwing Daily Mail clearly believed in the PPE shortage enough to fly a plane load in, bought with donations from their rightwing readers... grin

My real observation on the story is that charities should not be having to provide vital supplies to the NHS.

maddyone Fri 01-May-20 10:29:43

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said hate, but I’m getting a tad fed up of reading unpleasant remarks from a few posters. We need positivity not constant negativity or unpleasantness.

trisher Fri 01-May-20 10:25:19

So watch this and then argue about PPE. Nurses should not feel they are putting others at risk if they use PPE.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3MlqGfWNPI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0e-qy0gaeRp11tiB1to-DqNhxUP_2BazyFhGixTEHnbX-Mh6HaPq8JJW4
No one goes to work to die!

growstuff Fri 01-May-20 09:27:59

notanan As has been repeatedly said on this thread, statistics are misleading and can be manipulated.

The majority of people who have died from Covid-19 are over 70 and have an underlying health condition. I doubt if the NHS has many employees over 70 and those with as serious health condition will be on sick leave or have taken early retirement.

Your statistics do not show that there is sufficient PPE.

EllanVannin Fri 01-May-20 08:01:42

On the contrary, this country has actually got a good relationship with Dubai, so nothing to do with " Daily Mail " readers. The news of this came via the once claimed biased BBC.

Hasn't anyone visited Dubai ?

notanan2 Fri 01-May-20 07:44:21

People who boycott whole swathes of the press arent the open minded ones. If you only read articles from a paper who shares your leanings you'll never really learn anything.

Reading them all and finding the truth somewhere in between is proper open mindedness.

The tabloids print a lot of guff but ocassionally they also break stories that the posh papers are unwilling to take on

Glorybee Fri 01-May-20 06:59:08

Thanks Oopsminty, puts it into a more proper perspective.

Pantglas2 Fri 01-May-20 06:48:37

Good article Oopsminty thanks.

growstuff Fri 01-May-20 00:34:07

Where did Maizie write anything about hating Daily Mail readers?

Who said people who hate aren't happy? Maybe they're not, but it's a strange kind of insult.

Hetty58 Fri 01-May-20 00:01:44

Agreed, MaizieD, there is no evidence of hate.

MaizieD Thu 30-Apr-20 23:51:21

That is a very, very strange comment @22.51, maddyone

Oopsminty Thu 30-Apr-20 23:27:19

Ah, I'm with you now, Hetty58

Hetty58 Thu 30-Apr-20 23:03:11

Oopsminty, cross posted, I was referring to the DM (for dimwits).

Oopsminty Thu 30-Apr-20 23:00:41

Is The Guardian a silly comic? Not sure.

I will admit to reading many different papers both national and international.

Is that OK with you, Hetty58?

Hetty58 Thu 30-Apr-20 22:55:19

I just wish people would read a real newspaper - not a silly comic!

Oopsminty Thu 30-Apr-20 22:54:43

Just got QT on and some chap has mentioned an article in The Guardian that I read earlier

Certainly worth reading if you have a minute or two

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/30/coronavirus-deaths-how-does-britain-compare-with-other-countries

maddyone Thu 30-Apr-20 22:51:41

So MaisieD hates Daily Mail readers. How very nasty of her.
People who hate aren’t happy.

MaizieD Thu 30-Apr-20 21:28:14

So the Daily Mail believes that there's a real shortage of PPE?

How very leftie of them...

maddyone Thu 30-Apr-20 18:46:49

That’s good news Ellan along with the full plane load which arrived yesterday, paid for by the readers of the much hated Daily Mail.

EllanVannin Thu 30-Apr-20 18:26:52

You'll all be pleased to know that Dubai's Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum has sent 60 tonnes of supplies to our NHS. One flight landed this afternoon.

notanan2 Thu 30-Apr-20 17:38:52

Well yeah all of it Hetty. Its worrying about the workers outside the NHS though. Drivers, shop workers etc