Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

More traffic now

(15 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Thu 30-Apr-20 18:30:49

I go shopping one day a week and use my car so I must be contributing but there is no other way.

My immediate neighbours have garden parties and BBQs with friends visiting. They will get away with it-

Serendipity22 Thu 30-Apr-20 18:21:16

We live in a Yorkshire village and whoaaa the road outside our house is busier and people seem to think the speed limit has changed from 30MPH to 100MPH angry

NotAGran55 Thu 30-Apr-20 17:56:13

I think that there are more people going to work now , following on from 3 weeks of furloughing , increasing the road traffic.

SalsaQueen Thu 30-Apr-20 17:52:38

I work in the mornings (at a sheltered housing scheme), and have noticed the traffic increasing over the past 2 weeks. It was hard to believe there's a "lockdown", judging by the number of vehicles on the journey to and from work today.

Washerwoman Thu 30-Apr-20 17:34:28

I totally agree that lockdown has been necessary. As a mum of an ICU nurse if anything I've been totally frustrated to hear of and see first hand how some people have blatantly disregarded the guidelines.As has she.That is why I queried the comment that people were beginning to think for themselves,Thank God
I was nonplussed. And yes it is getting busier out there. I ventured out for the first time yesterday to walk for the first time in 3 weeks as I've actually had the virus.And definitely more traffic around.Friends and family in other areas say the same.

Hetty58 Thu 30-Apr-20 16:20:38

Greta, I noticed more traffic today - but thought that it was due to the rainy weather. It's normally difficult to get a cab locally when it rains as, according to the drivers, a lot of people won't walk anywhere in the rain!

yggdrasil Thu 30-Apr-20 16:15:36

Maggie & Washerwoman: Lock down is necessary and will be for a while. All this mingling and ignoring it will ensure a second wave of illness & death in the summer

grandMattie Thu 30-Apr-20 15:48:20

Isn’t that odd? We noticed that over the weekend; more people too, more chat. More everything. We live in a small rural southern town.

Smileless2012 Thu 30-Apr-20 15:42:10

We've noticed more traffic too, not more people walking around but definitely more cars.

Washerwoman Thu 30-Apr-20 15:40:25

Thank God Maggie ?Does that mean you think lockdown has been unnecessary?

AGAA4 Thu 30-Apr-20 15:40:01

The people in the flats where I live have hardly been out in their cars for weeks but this week I think most of the cars have been out.

MaggieTulliver Thu 30-Apr-20 15:22:05

Yes, people are beginning to think for themselves thank God.

Pantglas2 Thu 30-Apr-20 15:06:43

I haven’t been shopping for a fortnight and thought the A55 to Bangor a lot busier than the last two times I’ve ventured out since lockdown. However, this time no queue to get into Tesco and less people there as well.

Marmight Thu 30-Apr-20 15:02:22

There’s much more near me and I’m in a village out in the sticks. I can hear the traffic on the B road nearby and when out on my walk have had to leap out of the way of fast moving traffic. SiL on his 6 mile run yesterday saw 5 camper vans arriving in a local field which is well hidden from the road. Just don't understand the mentality of these people. What is it about ‘Stay At Home’ they don’t understand.

Greta Thu 30-Apr-20 14:49:33

I've just returned from my daily walk and definitely noticed much more traffic than last week. It obviously wasn't morning traffic and most vehicles were not delivery vans so I'm not sure how to account for the increase. Also saw small groups of people standing close and chatting. Is fatigue setting in and are more people taking matters into their own hands?