Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Which one are you?

(160 Posts)
Annecan Sun 03-May-20 08:19:24

Lockdown has worked because, against all expectation, there turned out to be many more Accepters and Sufferers than Resisters (the three pandemic personalities identified by King’s College), in the Uk

From an article in the Spectator
Which group would you put yourself in?

Norah Mon 11-May-20 18:17:06

Accepting seem to be the way forward.

Franbern Sun 10-May-20 11:01:14

Perhaps it could be said that those people who are having some relatives visiting - are the real Acceptors.
Accepting the reality of the situation, that prior to a vaccine, many of us will get this virus over the next few months
Stay at home was panic reaction to prevent NHS being over-whelmed, never a long-term solution.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 10-May-20 10:00:28

I'm an Accepter - it's temporary after all. I don't enjoy having to queue to get in and out of the supermarket but the quieter roads are lovely - though they're not as quiet as they used to be. I don't lead a massively busy social life so on a personal level am not really inconvenienced.

There's an underlying sadness because of so many deaths.

Shropshirelass Sun 10-May-20 07:38:04

Accepter, definitely.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Wed 06-May-20 00:11:50

Accepter, furloughed possibly no job to go back to and stuck at home with a stbxh. But there's nothing else to do but accept it, get on and over it and sort out any future problems as they come along ?‍♀️

Zink1 Tue 05-May-20 10:17:02

Accepter, much easier to be an Accepter if your income doesn't take a hit and you have a garden or easy access to open spaces.
I do empathise with Sufferers. Resistors lack ability to think or are just selfish, 'I'm alright Jack's types' - until they get Covid19.

Our next door neighbour have their elderly parents and son's friends visiting. There will always be people who believe they are an exception. Are they resistors?

Yiayia4 Mon 04-May-20 16:34:13

Acceptor but feel too little done to late and worry about phase 2

Summerlove Mon 04-May-20 15:21:40

Not at all surprised that more sufferers are women in a younger bracket. They are working, doing child care, educating and doing the majority of the house work and mental load of the house!

I really feel for those women. They have such a different experience than so many on here.

Annecan Mon 04-May-20 09:14:40

I wonder if sufferer or maybe another category could also include
Terrified ...
As in ...don’t want to... can’t... ever leave the house again ??

Bobdoesit Mon 04-May-20 08:38:01

Acceptor and happy about it - but will I ever have the confidence to leave home again? I certainly don't want to get on a bus or train so that rather leaves me stranded! hmm confused

cavewoman Mon 04-May-20 07:44:30

Resistant acceptor/accepter

Barbs1 Mon 04-May-20 07:28:53

Accepter. I’m enjoying the relief of not rushing to work and “chasing money” . I live alone, 62, so constantly trying to “balance the books”. Just missing my son and gorgeous grandson who I look after 2 days a week, miss the baby cuddles! But health is so important so as long as they are ok that’s fine by me.

Bovary Mon 04-May-20 06:03:48

I'm with you,Grandmabeach.

SueH49 Mon 04-May-20 01:26:12

I'm a sufferer although I do accept the restrictions are necessary.

Hetty58 - don't understand sufferers and resistors - why make it miserable for yourselves?

I think you are belittling people by your statement.

Unfortunately it is not always a matter of making it miserable for oneself, it is a reality that this situation has created a huge issue for me.

My reason for being a sufferer is that due to not being able to attend my twice weekly hydrotherapy sessions I have had a significant deterioration of one knee which is causing major pain and mobility issues.

Jillybird Mon 04-May-20 01:04:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cannotbelieveiamaskingthis208 Mon 04-May-20 01:03:26

Acceptor.

Eloethan Mon 04-May-20 00:32:03

I accept keeping the 2 metre or more distance from people when I go out and not going into other people's homes or inviting them into our home.

However, I go out for a long walk which takes more than an hour and I don't feel I am putting anyone at risk by doing that. I don't go to crowded places and I cross the road if I see someone walking towards me, if they don't cross it first. I have to visit my elderly Mum to take her shopping and collect and deliver her laundry. Strictly speaking, that is against the "rules" but I see no other option.

I go to the shops once a week, queue correctly and do the shopping as quickly as possible, maintaining as much as possible the distancing rule.

I don't see myself as an accepter or a resister but I will soon be 70 and I intend to continue to do what I do now. Some people might think that is "resisting" because over 70's are advised to isolate.

I find it interesting that there is much "mood music" now to tone down the Stay Home message. What some people don't seem to realise is that there are many people - aside from health workers and carers - who are still working in an enclosed indoor environment. When I recently rang our insurance company to negotiate this year's home insurance, the young woman to whom I spoke confirmed that she was working in a room with quite a lot of people - though she said there was the required distance between them. My own feeling is, given that a 2 metre distance is thought to be "safe" out in the open air, then in an enclosed office environment it is unlikely to be safe. Yet there is a great deal of talk now about people returning to work in a variety of indoor settings where 2 metres or less may be difficult to maintain. Somewhat conveniently I thought, there was someone deemed to be knowledgeable in these matters on TV the other day saying that a 1 metre distance is probably sufficient.

I think complaining about people leaving their homes to go for a walk seems fairly irrelevant when, in my view anyway, there are discussions about people returning to work - and possible only having a 1 metre space between them.

The government does have a difficult job (made more difficult by the fact that the virus had already had time to take hold due to earlier inaction). It has to tread a fine line between protecting people from the virus and protecting people from the many negative effects of maintaining a lockdown. It has already been said that the numbers of people presenting with symptoms of stroke, cancer or heart failure have fallen very significantly. Doctors say these health issues can't have just disappeared but people are now reluctant, because of the covid crisis, to go to their doctors or to the hospital. On top of that, non-covid patients are having to wait much longer for treatments such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy. There has also been a doubling of women killed at home and fears expressed about children going hungry.

I think most people appreciate that the lockdown causes enormous disruption to businesses and to all other aspects of life. It is understandable, though, that they are very nervous about relaxing the current measures - because for the last few weeks they have been urged to Stay Home.

People need to have confidence in this government's ability so that lifting various parts of the lockdown will be done in as safe a way as possible. Surely that could only be done by linking mass testing to contact tracing and isolating? At the moment, many scientists/medical experts say that testing is inadequate and there is no proper system in place for contact tracing. I find it difficult to have confidence in this government.

Hetty58 Sun 03-May-20 22:48:48

Good idea, Moaning Minnies! I nominate my silly friend, so stressed, as her roots are showing and she just wants to go clothes shopping and lie on a beach!

SirChenjin Sun 03-May-20 22:45:22

I agree - some people do seem to revel in the unjustness of it but if you imagine how many people are living in horrible circumstances with real money worries then the sufferers probably have a substantial number who are completely justified to feel that way. Maybe they should have had a fourth category of Moaning Minnies to separate them from the genuine sufferers?!

Hetty58 Sun 03-May-20 22:38:36

Agreed SirChenjin, it must be hell for some - but others just have the wrong attitude.

SirChenjin Sun 03-May-20 22:29:02

don't understand sufferers and resistors - why make it miserable for yourselves?

I can imagine that if you’re stuck in a high rise flat surrounded by drug addicts and drunks screaming and shouting, you’re trying to keep three kids entertained on lockdown, you’re not working and you don’t know how you’re going to feed your family and pay your bills then you’re not making it miserable for yourself - it is miserable.

Hetty58 Sun 03-May-20 22:23:34

Elliegran, the point I'm making is not political but practical. The figures demonstrate, quite clearly, that we were far safer, statistically, when lockdown began!

Grandmafrench Sun 03-May-20 22:23:02

Accepter. Politics irrelevant. Hope like mad that I will be able to become an Adapter.

Elliegran Sun 03-May-20 22:06:25

Accepter it's nothing to do with politics it's about keeping yourself and family safe as far as possible.

Hetty58 Sun 03-May-20 22:01:53

How can it be safe to lift restrictions any time soon?
On 23rd March, when lockdown began, this was the situation:

'According to the Department of Health and Social Care, 6,650 people have tested positive, 77,295 negative and 335 patients have died. That included 46 more deaths in England, as well as four more in both Scotland and Wales. Two people have died from the disease in Northern Ireland, though it did not record any further deaths on Monday.

The Foreign Office urged as many as a million Britons on holiday or business trips abroad to return to the UK immediately.'

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/coronavirus-at-a-glance-23-mar-evening