Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Our generation's turn now

(45 Posts)
Granny23 Sun 03-May-20 10:16:19

I was sent this on Facebook this morning. It did make me think that most of us have had a charmed life so far. We have been able to complete our education, work hard and 'get on' , travel, see our children and grandchildren grow up.
Yes there have been wars and terrorist attacks but nothing that has affected the entire Country (world) that comes close to the pandemic we are facing now. I hope we are rising to the challenges we face as previous generations have done.

Imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million. On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war. At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish. At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict. On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, should have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that?

Allsorts Sun 21-Aug-22 11:12:58

You live the give you have. People didn’t know about the wider world outside their close neighbourhood, so all were in the same position.
I consider I was born at the best of times. Plenty of jobs, safer world, I had very hard times in the seventies, these didn’t break me and I appreciated the good times eventually when they came. . Some people are dealt a really bad hand in life, all those eager young men enlisting in 1914 absolute slaughter. My gran had the hardest of life, she also had a faith and a good sense of humour and despite it all, losing four children, the pain of losing brothers in the Great War for instance, had many good times.

TerryM Sun 21-Aug-22 11:28:54

I am a Boomer smile and I thinK our generation have had...the best notwithstanding the high interest rates late 80s and early 90s.
My grandmother born in 1905 horrendous life with her father and later on her husband.
My mother had a hard time with her father. He still used the belt on her at 16 and only stopped because mum's younger brother , 15, stepped in and stopped his father.
No assistance for domestic abuse, child abuse or suchlike. When my maternal grandfather died he left the house to his sons, my g great grandfather did the same. Both wives were left without accommodation.
One of my uncles was in a German POW camp for three years. He came back and eventually had a job with the post office. He was bullied so much that he committed suicide in the driveway of house he had bought himself and his sister by pouring petrol over himself. It took three days for him to die.
Schooling was minimal cost if at all for us. Now our kids have large loans for university.
Nowadays those in their 20s and 30s have social media, everyone randomly snapping photos (dumb choices back in teenage days may have got back to my parents but didn't haunt me for years ) they have the rising interest rates, etc.
I do hope the world improves for the generations yet to come

Chestnut Sun 21-Aug-22 11:34:37

TerryM I agree the 21st century has proved less friendly in so many ways than the previous half century we lived through. The smartphone has changed everything, no longer a mobile phone but a computer in your hand which links to everything in the world, good and bad. So dangerous for young people. That is one thing I wish had never been invented.

VioletSky Sun 21-Aug-22 11:37:16

I think what needs to be understood is that new generations are still suffering the impact of both world wars, poverty and trauma. The impact it had on parenting was staggering and those ripples will be felt for a long time to come. There are still many wars in the world which are impacting humanity as well as the impact of things like coronations. Economic instability, will also have a lasting impact, we may consider new generations as "having more" but the impact is defined by what is "normal" not by who had more or less.

So this is the sort of impact that trickes down through future generations and trauma that doesn't end just because strife did.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3997818/

VioletSky Sun 21-Aug-22 11:44:15

Coronavirus, not coronations lol

nanna8 Sun 21-Aug-22 11:49:47

But this generation where I live has been locked up for 2 years with Covid rules and regulations. Some who remembered it said it was worse than in World War 2 when at least you were allowed to visit friends, go to the shops and have friends round. We couldn’t do any of that for quite some months where I live. I don’t call that a good time to be alive for youngsters. An unprecedented amount of mental illness, the worst time of their lives for many.

JackyB Sun 21-Aug-22 12:02:01

Despite this being a defunct, then revived thread from way back there is still plenty of meat to chew over on this topic.

I wonder what the equivalent would be for someone born in 2000 - a hundred years later? A lot has happened in the last 20 years and there are several parallels with 1900-1920. (Pandemic, war, recession, shortages)

Chestnut Sun 21-Aug-22 12:15:52

Well exactly my point. The 21st century is so much less friendly in so many ways. We had the best of times between 1950-2000. Humanity is never perfect but that was as good as it gets.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Aug-22 12:25:23

nanna8

But this generation where I live has been locked up for 2 years with Covid rules and regulations. Some who remembered it said it was worse than in World War 2 when at least you were allowed to visit friends, go to the shops and have friends round. We couldn’t do any of that for quite some months where I live. I don’t call that a good time to be alive for youngsters. An unprecedented amount of mental illness, the worst time of their lives for many.

You couldn't see loved ones who were away for months, though, and some never came back at all.

I think our generations from 1946 to recently, in this country and yours, have had the best of it despite some hardships.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Aug-22 12:28:13

Not all, though,*nanna8*, I am mindful of children sent out for 'a better life' and Australian children who were sent to orphanages too.

nanna8 Sun 21-Aug-22 13:54:31

Yes - I know someone in my distant family was sent out and treated so badly that the Red Cross rescued him and re patriated him to the uk. After that he spent a life suffering from severe mental illness until his death. That was in the 1960s, not so long ago.

Chestnut Sun 21-Aug-22 14:28:01

As I said, humanity is never perfect, and there will always be great suffering for some unfortunate people, but the last half century was as good as it gets. There was much greater suffering all round in previous half centuries.

Vito Sun 21-Aug-22 17:08:07

Fanny , why would you report this very interesting thread confused

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 17:12:41

Vito

I reported the spam post, not the thread.

MerylStreep Sun 21-Aug-22 17:13:44

Vito

Because of the Spam post.

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Aug-22 17:14:24

It was flogging an essay writing service, we get a lot of spam from them

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Aug-22 17:23:12

Vito

Spammers often revive old threads, of which this is one, and posters begin posting again not realising.

JoelMudd Tue 25-Oct-22 00:35:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Georgesgran Tue 25-Oct-22 00:51:11

Reported