Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Appreciation for the police

(13 Posts)
Willow73 Wed 06-May-20 10:01:28

Its hard to understand why Thursday night clap has not included the police force. Don't get me wrong the NHS are amazing, special people who should definitely get recognition. However, they have the protective clothing on when they meet the patients, but the police who are stopping burglars, drunk and drug induced people and going into homes of sudden deaths and domestic violence of which there is so much at the moment, going to accidents, have no time to get the PPE on before being face to face with the virus most of the time. So come on lets recognise this with a clap for them.

merlotgran Wed 06-May-20 10:08:38

DGS2 is a newly qualified officer in the Met. I worry about his safety of course but very proud of him.

He's loving his life and that's what counts.

We don't clap because we are in an isolated spot. Watching it on telly means we can share in the experience just the same.

Jane10 Wed 06-May-20 10:39:45

Very good point. The boys (and girls) in blue have a hard enough job at the best of times. Must be worse right now. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Fennel Wed 06-May-20 11:42:32

There are many police cars patrolling the streets around here.
A busy urban area.
As I mentioned on another thread one of them checked up on me when I was out for my daily walk, to see if I was ok. I thanked them for caring. 2 women PCs.

Iam64 Wed 06-May-20 11:54:43

I think the clapping on Thursday is for all front line workers so that would definitely include the Police (and supermarket staff, delivery drivers, bus drivers, care workers, social workers etc - )

Washerwoman Wed 06-May-20 12:55:49

Thank you Willow for this thread. There have been some truly horrible things said on Mumsnet about the police recently and lumping them all together as idiots or bully boys.It has made me furious.SIL is recovering from Covid,undoubtedly infected at work.In and amongst dealing with people blatantly disregarding social distancing and lockdown.Well lockdown light compared to some countries ,and as far as some of the public they seem to think it doesn't apply to them.They never know just what's waiting each time they get a call out. Dealing with suicides,knife,gang and drug crime etc.

NonnaW Wed 06-May-20 13:16:38

Quite agree. DS2 is a police officer, and I worry about him a lot.

Missfoodlove Wed 06-May-20 15:38:50

Thursday is about everyone who is working and risking infection.
Waste collectors, Care home staff etc etc.

AGAA4 Wed 06-May-20 16:15:52

The people who complain about the police are those who are breaking the law.
Most of us are grateful to them. They are working under very difficult conditions and as one officer said they have no clear instructions from government as to how to proceed during lockdown.

Billybob4491 Wed 06-May-20 17:09:16

and Postmen Missfoodlove

Smileless2012 Wed 06-May-20 19:09:51

I agree Iam the Thursday night clap started to show our appreciation for NHS workers but now it's for all front line workers.

ElaineI Wed 06-May-20 23:07:27

It's for everyone who is helping to keep the country running. How do you not know that?
And for everyone who has died of the virus through doing their jobs.

Gummie Thu 07-May-20 08:40:51

I thought it was for all front line and key workers including the police.