Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Will you be wearing face masks?

(25 Posts)
Musicgirl Thu 07-May-20 21:12:31

I have been wearing a mask made by my sister for a little while now as l have allergies. I find it helps to remind people to keep their distance. I have now received the surgical type masks l ordered. I think that they will probably protect others from my germs and if other people wear them they will be protecting me from theirs. What are your thoughts on this? On a lighter note, I reminded my husband husband of a childhood incident he told me about when, in the 1960s, he was playing Dr. Kildare in the garden with his friends. Much to his mother's horror, he had improvised his surgical mask out of her old-fashioned sanitary towels. I remarked that they would make very good masks if one were bra enough to wear them as the thickness would keep out germs. He agreed.

vampirequeen Thu 07-May-20 21:16:01

I'm not keen on masks because I think they can give a false sense of security and I think social distancing is more effective. That said I'd wear one on public transport and other places were social distancing was difficult...not to protect myself but to protect others from any germs I might be sharing.

Tangerine Thu 07-May-20 21:16:06

I thought the story of your husband using his mother's sanitary towels as a mask was very funny.

Will I wear a mask? I haven't yet done so but I think I shall wear one soon. Very few people wear them where I live.

Jane10 Thu 07-May-20 21:19:38

I think I'd only wear one if I was going on a bus and I really don't plan on doing that any time soon.
We've been staying in for 8 weeks now. I only go out once a week to shop other than a daily walk where we rarely see other people.

CanadianGran Thu 07-May-20 21:21:43

Worn here. Any time I have been to the grocery store or pharmacy. I find them very claustrophobic but know it is not forever.

CanadianGran Thu 07-May-20 21:23:01

And to add to above, our provincial government has asked that we stick to home made masks to save the supply of medical to those at the front lines of the pandemic.

dontmindstayinghome Thu 07-May-20 21:29:47

I've been wearing a mask and gloves for over four weeks.

I am a carer for my Mother who lives in a sheltered housing flat. All the registered Carers have been wearing them from the outset so if its good enough for them its good enough for me.

The Management Team have now issued an instruction that anyone who enters the building must wear a mask and gloves.

I also wear them when shopping as well as using hand sanitiser and cleaning my shopping trolley.

I know they are not 100% effective but in my view any protection is better than no protection and it does remind people to keep their distance..

BlueSky Thu 07-May-20 21:47:48

I'll wear a mask when finally venturing out in shops and on public transport. Hopefully everybody will wear them.

Franbern Fri 08-May-20 15:52:00

No, not unless it is made law to have to use this in specific places.

Jaycee5 Fri 08-May-20 15:58:44

Quite a few people here are wearing them. I rarely go out and I can avoid public transport until this is over so I don't think I will buy one. I tried wearing masks when cleaning or doing anything dusty to help with my allergies but found them very uncomfortable. I have enough trouble breathing. I was going to go out today to get some money out the bank but decided I could manage without.
I was going to go out for a walk this morning but I think I've got too used to avoiding it now but I think I'll have to start at least going out for a walk.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-May-20 16:08:06

Will have to if it is made mandatory in entering shops etc.

TerriBull Fri 08-May-20 16:25:25

I wear mask and gloves in food shops, not otherwise. We carry sanitiser with us when we go out for walks in case we've touched a gate, we're lucky we have a royal park on our doorstep, very wide open spaces to walk in, most people do their best to distance. Although sometimes there are a minority who cluster round the park gates for what appears to be little meet ups hmm I have said quite loudly before "the gate can't move, but people who hog the space outside can!"

SirChenjin Fri 08-May-20 16:56:04

Yes I wear one - and do the usual hand washing/social distancing/etc.

grandMattie Fri 08-May-20 17:11:50

I doubt it, unless obliged to.
I think they give a false sense of security and the people I have been watching who wear them seem to touch their faces more, adjust them, fiddle around... no thanks!

phoenix Fri 08-May-20 17:30:57

I have a friend in Mexico, masks are mandatory, they are wearing beautifully embroidered ones made locally, some sold in support of local charities.

I can't sew, have no fabric, but would be happy to buy one!

I have an FFP2 NRD one, got from work (woodworking school) when I was having some work done that involved sanding down MDF.

MayBee70 Fri 08-May-20 19:26:02

People say how often people touch their faces when wearing a mask I think they'd be surprised how often we all touch our faces anyway without thinking. However, if everyone wears a mask then touching our faces wouldn't be such an issue anyway because the virus from infected people wouldn't be transmitted and, even if it was the viral load would be a lot less.

rosie1959 Fri 08-May-20 20:05:56

Not unless we have to and I can see no point in gloves at all
My dear stepmum was a theatre sister and said much easier to just wash your hands cant see how gloves would provide any benefit

GregorKV Fri 08-May-20 21:42:48

Stay safe guys. My sister have this virus :-(

Nansnet Sat 09-May-20 05:59:54

Where we live, it's not mandatory to wear face masks, but pretty much everyone chooses to. People started to wear them as soon as cases began being reported in China. The outbreak of SARS in 2003 is still firmly in everyone's minds, and people knew what they had to do in order to remain as well protected as possible. Our government have not seen the need to impose a complete lockdown, just social distancing guidelines, and bars/restaurants were closed until this week.

Even though we have a population living in very close/crowded communities, we have one of the lowest confirmed Covid19 cases/deaths in the world. I'm convinced, if people here hadn't worn masks it would've spread like wildfire!

Stay safe. Wear a mask.

Blinko Sat 09-May-20 07:03:57

I don't wear one outdoors or in larger shops, but certainly would if I ever had to use public transport where social distancing is not feasible.

Bellasnana Sat 09-May-20 07:35:10

Here in Malta we are not permitted to enter shops or public transport unless wearing a mask.

I think our government here has handled the crisis very well indeed so I am happy to comply even though wearing a mask is not particularly pleasant, especially in the heat.

Calendargirl Sat 09-May-20 08:13:22

Hope we don’t have to wear them. If social distancing carries on, and it appears it will for some time,I can’t imagine I will be mixing much more than I do now. I’m retired, I probably won’t use public transport for some time, and my weekly shop is at a well organised Tesco, so wearing a mask won’t make much difference to now really.

Furret Sat 09-May-20 08:14:12

Yes, no problem with wearing one in shops. Don’t use public transport except trains and not going anywhere at the moment.

Gummie Sat 09-May-20 08:16:01

Yes. Especially in shops. I don’t use public transport.

CraftyGranny Sat 09-May-20 08:25:04

I haven't been out of the house yet, but I have made masks for my family. I have also put a Hepa filter in them, between the two layers of fabric, made from Henry vac bags, which are nice and soft. Whether they wear the masks is up to them, but they are all grateful for them especially the GC who think they are fun. The GCs masks are brightly coloured.