Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I predict another rise of covid

(523 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-May-20 11:14:22

In about 3-4 weeks time .

This idiot government is losing control.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 08-Jun-20 22:03:31

I think it's very encouraging news that death rate is the lowest today since 21st March, and I hope this decline continues.

I do have a concern however that I live in a rural county and we have had 27 deaths this week, including 3 in our local hospital yesterday, so am not relaxing quite yet.

Jane10 Mon 08-Jun-20 17:29:41

Well. 55 deaths today. Another day with 0 deaths in Scotland and 0 deaths in Northern Ireland. This several weeks after the crowded beaches and large groups in park etc.
It's tempting providence to say it but... second wave?

GGumteenth Mon 08-Jun-20 16:30:13

My comment Perhaps they want to kill us off? was not what I whole heartedly feel, more tongue in cheek. We and the government are between a rock and a hard place. If we have an economy anything like similar to the "great depression" people will die. If we open up the economy too quickly, people will die.

I appreciate the problem; I just have little or no confidence in Johnson. That is not to say that those behind him are not working every hour of every day. It's those Trumpian moments that worry me when he opens his mouth and horrifies the very scientists he vows he is listening to. That and the fact that he appears unable to do without Cummings.

Fennel Mon 08-Jun-20 16:18:21

Listening to BBC Parl this pm re testing for the virus - evidently symptoms can start a week from being infected.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jun-20 09:44:54

It’s only certain people who are really in lockdown, those shielding, or of a certain age who have underlying health conditions.Anyone else can visit the shops that are open as often as they like...of course they would be wise to still use hand gel, masks or do regular hand washing as well.
No, the mass protests won’t have helped, and probably even more black people will die as a result.
In England we can drive to wherever we want to go, but not stay overnight, which accounts for more cars on the roads.

Furret Mon 08-Jun-20 07:46:04

That was wonderful news Jane

Jane10 Sun 07-Jun-20 18:10:58

No deaths in Scotland or Northern Ireland today. Good news anyway. It's not all doom and gloom.

Fennel Sun 07-Jun-20 17:12:57

growstuff - I've read a lot about the between-wars years in Germany too. The German people were weakened by the 1918 war and there was a deep economic depression.
Then up pops that megalomaniac with the answers. Part of which were some practical economic plans which worked. But he also picked a scapegoat.
When people are worried and frightened we look for a strong leader which sadly we haven't got here. (maybe just as well?)
So we make up our own minds what to do for the best and it's not always very sensible, plus hope and pray tha it won't develop into racist attacks.

Rosalyn69 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:53:13

As I keep saying - people need to go back to work and stop acting as if this is a holiday.

AGAA4 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:50:59

Many people are behaving as though the virus has gone away when in fact it is ramping up.

The R number in parts of the UK is over 1 which means more people will be infected.

The demonstrations over this weekend can't have helped.

MerylStreep Sun 07-Jun-20 16:48:57

Jane10
The lockdown is over. Millions of people are now visiting whoever and wherever they want.

ayse Sun 07-Jun-20 16:46:51

Very little distancing in Aldi when I went shopping yesterday except queuing for the tills that was managed by security. It was just so busy with people everywhere. The R number is almost at 1 in most of the country now. Very disturbing for the future

Jane10 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:40:34

Just home after a visit to DD. The roads were packed! Far busier than on a normal Sunday afternoon. As we drove past supermarket car parks were full. Lockdown? What lockdown!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 07-Jun-20 15:09:02

GG if their desire is truly to kill us off ? the Tories will lose out because their support comes from the older demographic, and the the ones most likely to die from the virus.

If anyone doubts that the pandemic has been mismanaged from the outset by this government they should watch last week's Dispatches on Chanel 4.

I agree that the message has been consistently muddled and it doesn't help when Johnson comes out with off the cuff remarks such as, we can now enjoy barbecues. The scientists faces were a sight to behold, as this presented more difficulties about explaining importance of keeping plates, cutlery etc separate whilst supposedly distancing.

MayBee70 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:37:52

It does seem odd that Cummings, who allegedly was the one that instigated the herd immunity response, should be the one responsible for the break down of lockdown. Nothing would surprise me about this devious, shady character.

GGumteenth Sun 07-Jun-20 11:45:14

I think it is possible to track a definite change in attitude after the Cummings affair.

It think this opened the doors a little and then they were thrown wide open by poor messaging, Greeneyedgirl. It does seem strange if this wasn't deliberate as they have behavioural scientists on the advisory panels. Perhaps they want to kill us off?

GGumteenth Sun 07-Jun-20 11:39:18

Goodness Maddyone. I read what you said. I did not agree. That happens. As the Brexiters said on here oh so often, "suck it up". No one is obliged to agree with your opinions.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 07-Jun-20 10:15:08

It would be very surprising if the demonstrations we have seen in London and other cities over the weekend, do not have adverse effects on the rise of infection, and results can take over 6 weeks to show in death rates sadly.

I think it would have caused more trouble to try and ban these demos, because feelings are running so high at the moment, and the murder in US was the trigger I think, that brought to a head multiple injustices that many feel, not just in the US.

However, with regard to rising of infection, I have seen plenty of people in my age group, who initially conscientiously obeyed the lockdown, now breaking the rules quite openly. For example moving arrangements for meet ups inside when weather changed, and mixing with family openly, some of whom are key workers.

I think it is possible to track a definite change in attitude after the Cummings affair. I am very concerned about this, and that by the time the rising rates become obvious it will be too late.

maddyone Sun 07-Jun-20 09:52:45

Coolgran
I totally agree.

GGumteenth
I believe you know perfectly well what I was saying yesterday and you are simply being obtuse. I can’t be bothered to argue with you as I’m going out shortly, so won’t be back on this thread today. I note however, that you have failed to provide the quote I asked for where I said I ’excused’ him, presumably BJ. You cannot provide the quote simply because I didn’t say it.

Coolgran65 Sun 07-Jun-20 09:37:02

The lockdown rules were eased as the R number went down with the proviso that if necessary it could be tightened up again.
And indeed the R number is rising.
So what is the government waiting for?
I suggest back to lockdown. Yes there will be a kickup.... But everyone was warned.

I don't believe the government should be suggesting how to behave.
Let's have RULES and consequences.I
No more pussyfooting around !!

GGumteenth Sun 07-Jun-20 09:19:07

Maddy you are either a lost cause or you are deliberately misreading what I have written. Try copying and pasting the actual words you are challenging so you start with an accurate quote. Then I will reply. Otherwise this is a waste of time.

maddyone Sun 07-Jun-20 01:10:23

Yes, I did know you have studied that period in great detail. You must know more about it than I do. It was a dark period though for sure. I have visited a few concentration camps when I have travelled in Eastern Europe so I know about that, and what lead to it, but I have never studied it in detail.

growstuff Sun 07-Jun-20 00:48:17

Yes, we might disagree over much, but I have always thought that lockdown should have been introduced earlier and enforced more rigorously. I think the Home Secretary should have banned today's protests. She had the perfect excuse - from a Health and Safety perspective, if nothing else. I don't think that has anything to do with 1930s Germany.

However, I do think that what is happening with democracy in general has parallels with Germany in the years before Hitler seized power. You might be aware from previous posts that I have studied this period at an academic level in some detail. IMO the most striking parallel is the way people think and how prejudices have been manipulated by those with a much more sinister agenda.

maddyone Sun 07-Jun-20 00:41:52

growstuff
Thank you for agreeing with me that the lockdown wasn’t rigidly enough enforced. You will be aware from my previous posts that I have always thought the lockdown should have happened sooner, and more rigidly. And that has always irritated me. And still does, not least because of my personal interest via my daughter and her husband, as I know you are aware.

I understand that you disagree with my opinion that there is no analogy between 1930s Germany and today, but I appreciate your polite response.

maddyone Sun 07-Jun-20 00:37:05

GGumteenth
Would you be kind enough to point out where I said that I excused him? I assume you mean Boris Johnson. I have not the slightest idea how you could assume that I am excusing the government of its responsibilities regarding Covid19. If you had read many of my posts on various threads you would actually know what I think about the management of the Covid19 crisis, but actually what you did was make assumptions about my political ideology without knowing the first thing about them. However this thread is about the possibility of a rise in the number of Covid19 patients, and therefore the events today which may very well result in a huge rise in fatalities and illnesses in the near future. Do not assume you know my politics; you don’t!

However, do tell me where I said I excused ‘him.’