Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New slogan

(21 Posts)
MawB Sun 10-May-20 12:04:14

“Stay home, stop the virus, save lives”

Is that it?
Not one of their greatest. Can we do better?
Stay home, stop the spread, save lives - including your own

Or maybe one of BJ’s three word slogans “Get Covid19 done”

Suggestions on a postcard!

Calendargirl Sun 10-May-20 12:29:46

I thought it was going to be;

Stay Alert
Control The Virus
Save Lives

MawB Sun 10-May-20 12:37:56

I think you are right -like it even less. A bit of alliteration always goes down well in slogans.

paddyanne Sun 10-May-20 12:39:15

best all get the x ray specs out so we can see it..if Boris is telling us to stay alert .

Calendargirl Sun 10-May-20 12:41:17

‘Stay Alert’ seems to suggest the virus might be just around the corner, literally, and if you keep on your toes, you can dodge it.

?

Granny23 Sun 10-May-20 12:41:46

"THE “get Brexit done” government prides itself on the supposed strength of its slogans.

But at a time when messaging is a life or death matter, Downing Street has failed utterly.

As he prepares to outline his plans to ease lockdown restrictions, Boris Johnson is dropping the "stay at home" slogan.

In its place is a farcically ambiguous – and frankly meaningless – message: "Stay alert, control the virus and save lives.”

Predictably, devolved administrations were not consulted on the change.

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has already said that Scotland will not be adopting the message, while Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford said the “stay at home” advice still applies."

Cherrytree59 Sun 10-May-20 12:43:16

Stay Alert.
The country needs Lerts ?

trisher Sun 10-May-20 12:47:36

Before it was an invisible mugger now it seems to have morphed into some wild animal which you have to watch out for and restrain if you can. Stay Alert, Control the Virus Save Lives!

Greta Sun 10-May-20 13:21:58

What is it about slogans? Does the government think that the public can only understand messages in the form of short slogans. We must all be dim!

Lisagran Sun 10-May-20 13:23:25

Is this really the best they could come up with ?!

MaizieD Sun 10-May-20 13:37:40

Does the government think that the public can only understand messages in the form of short slogans

Why not, Greta? It worked like a charm for them in the Leave campaign and the last GE. Why bother with trying to explain anything when three catchy words will do the heavy lifting?

MawB Sun 10-May-20 13:46:34

Quite seriously a good slogan will not only be memorable but can get the message across in a direct and easy to grasp way

Think of “Your country needs YOU” with Kitchener’s portrait, or “Walls have Ears” “Dig for Victory”, “Be like Dad, Keep Mum” and some of the other wonderful slogans of past years.
Don’t diss a slogan!

Chewbacca Sun 10-May-20 14:09:27

The new slogan is so wishy washy that it's meaningless. If people were disregarding the Stay Home, Save Lives slogan, which was pretty unequivocal in it's message, there's no way on earth that the new slogan will have any impact on the doubters. They may just have well have said "Do What You Want, It's Your Choice".

Calendargirl Sun 10-May-20 14:20:40

I don’t think the vast majority disregarded the ‘Stay Home’ message. The trouble is, to get the economy moving and people back to work, we can’t all keep ‘staying home’.

I don’t know what an appropriate slogan would be.

Stay Safe?
Next Step?
Move Forward?
Take Care?

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 14:26:58

Well …

Just in case you're not confused …

a) The Scottish, Welsh and NI governments aren't going to adopt the new slogan.

b) The UK government says it still means the same thing. You're supposed to stay at some if you can, which is what we're were told to do.

I'm thinking of going into hibernation until some sanity returns to this government.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 14:28:05

How about skipping the slogans and actually doing some leadership?

lemongrove Sun 10-May-20 15:08:30

I agree Maw....don’t diss a slogan.It stays in the collective mind (Beans Meanz Heinz!) ?

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 12-May-20 18:44:51

Stay Alert
Control The Virus
Save Lives

Puts the emphasis on us and not the government.

www.facebook.com/642444842524195/videos/2664289803816535

varian Tue 12-May-20 19:42:56

Shifting the blame when the second wave hits. It will not be the fault of the government. It will be the fault of the public who misunderstood the meaning of "stay alert".

mamaa Tue 12-May-20 20:20:24

The slogan for England is very similar to the one used by Macron recently in France- as alluded to by Boris yesterday. Macron said ‘Sauvez des vies, restez prudent’ .... which translated means ‘Save lives, stay prudent’. Neither exactly catchy (or memorable for the right reasons as Churchill’s were) I suppose...

varian Sun 17-May-20 17:43:02

Shifting the blame is the key policy of this government.

The scientific advisors (whose advice has never been made public) will be in the firing line at the day of reckoning, but surely the public are not so stupid as to be taken in by that!

After all we don't all read the Daily Express and the Daily Mail and even some who do must by now be able to spot the difference between truth and lying propaganda.-