Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER SLOGAN!

(29 Posts)
phoenix Sun 10-May-20 18:08:47

Yes, shouty capitals!

So a group of (hopefully socially distanced) people got together and came up with a new slogan!

Give me strength!

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-May-20 14:18:56

You are right, Grammaretto. I am ok working from home. Some of my family are most definitely not going to be in a good place at work.

I’m fed up with all the talk of walks and social activities. All the “jollies” of life.
We can all manage for a while if needs be, without these pleasantries.

I’m more bothered about the lower paid/very low paid people in jobs where distancing is but a dream and those employees who are expected to “do their best” at work.

I want there to be enforceable measures to make employers put all possible measures in place before the workers go back.

Grammaretto Mon 11-May-20 13:36:25

The Right will always make things cosy for people like themselves. The middle classes can continue to work from home and have as many leisure walks as they like.
The working class can start work in the low paid service sectors where they can't easily distance. asap.

Yes sounds fair.

60 yr old male security guards are the most likely to die of covid19

I think the slogan is easy enough to understand. The plan itself is harder.

JenniferEccles Mon 11-May-20 13:29:45

Probably because the ‘lert’ so called joke is childish enough to be ignored.

Hetty58 Mon 11-May-20 11:42:38

It's all about slogans and brands now, to hell with the truth. They're so out of touch that they don't even know the Lert joke!

merlotgran Mon 11-May-20 11:38:25

TBH, Is it really so difficult to 'get it?'

When somebody close to you passes their driving test and ventures out alone for the first time, you hope they take care, are aware of what others might do, not take any risks and drive safely.

You don't expect them to ignore everything they've been told so far. If they do they might not only kill themselves but others as well.

It will mean different things to different people and some might find it confusing at first but is Stay Alert really so difficult to comprehend?

Take notice of what's going on around you.

MawB Mon 11-May-20 10:58:18

Purplepixie
I think a good slogan would be: For F sake! I mean - just how much more can we all take???????

In answer to your question

Grammaretto Mon 11-May-20 10:02:27

Purplepixie That one rhymes! grin

I will go with Give me strength. Sounds about right. Maybe another slogan next week?

quizqueen Mon 11-May-20 09:58:08

I expect you all think you could do so much better yourselves if you were in charge, or Corbyn could have.

Our Prime Minister has been very ill, got a new baby, has to sort out a Brexit trade deal and now a pandemic, which has ruined the economy and all his plans, it's enough to make anyone but the strongest crack but, no, he bounces back as enthusiastic as ever.

You are all so childish with your comments and I would bet there are very few of you who have ever put yourself forward for any sort of public office position, let alone stood as a candidate to be a prospective MP. So easy to criticise, but not so easy to do the job.

Purplepixie Mon 11-May-20 09:42:32

I think a good slogan would be: For F sake! I mean - just how much more can we all take???????

SirChenjin Mon 11-May-20 09:37:43

‘Be a Lert - Lerts are immune to COVID-19’

By Dominic Cummings, aged 48½

Kestrel Mon 11-May-20 08:45:07

'Give me strength'

Kestrel Mon 11-May-20 08:43:03

Yes - phoenix for PM! @give me strength' is a great slogan!

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-May-20 08:25:06

twitter.com/i/status/1259566662791106569

phoenix Mon 11-May-20 08:07:08

Sorry Maw, hadn't seen that blush

MawB Mon 11-May-20 05:52:40

sadsadsad
I only asked nicely - no need to shout at me ???
www.gransnet.com/forums/coronavirus/1278487-New-slogan

Grammaretto Mon 11-May-20 05:52:07

Another Dominic - Cummings is BJ's soundbite man. He came up with the winning Brexit slogan Taking back control perhaps he has been wheeled out again for this?

BradfordLass73 Mon 11-May-20 04:03:12

I listened to a current afairs programme from Radio 4 and some man came on and complained that so many were out picknicking and artying in parks in contravention of guidelines. The police couldn't cope, we were told.

A few minutes later, someone else came on and it was 'everybody out!' back to work, exercise and walk/jog.run up hills.

Don't they discuss all this as a team, so there's one voice-one message?
Is this just confusion by people who genuinely have no idea how to govern a country, or is it an ego fight?

I heard a profile of a man called Dominic Raab and it was far from flattering and more than implied he wants to be PM. So does all this disorganisation have a deeper, Sinister-Minister meaning as in Thatcher's day?

These are genuine questions btw and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Elrel Mon 11-May-20 00:00:33

Paddyanne - too much of England voted for them I guess.

SueDonim Sun 10-May-20 23:53:58

I keep seeing this thread title and singing to myself Pink Floyd’s ‘We Don't Need No Education’. grin

NotSpaghetti Sun 10-May-20 23:38:47

But, JenniferEccles, on one thread he was "clear" and "straightforward" in his messaging....

JenniferEccles Sun 10-May-20 23:08:34

Well I wouldn’t worry because it appears a significant number on other threads have no idea what the phrase means!

Poor Boris. He has really got his work cut out hasn’t he?!

paddyanne Sun 10-May-20 22:47:29

WHAT DID England do to deserve Bojo the clown and hs circus ?

SirChenjin Sun 10-May-20 19:33:41

No, I certainly wasn’t including you in that swathe phoenix - none of your posts have ever suggested that you’re someone who would fall for a meaningless soundbite or slogan from this Govt.

phoenix Sun 10-May-20 19:26:08

Not me though, SirChenjin but I agree with you 're a second spike, sadly.

SirChenjin Sun 10-May-20 19:20:23

It’s a “devilish” virus apparently, according to the fist clenching, desk thumping blond buffoon.

The second spike is just a few weeks away, so be prepared for a new slogan once that happens. Let’s remember that this is a Govt that likes its slogans and there’s a whole swathe of the UK who lap them up.