Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

2 metre distance...

(82 Posts)
farview Mon 11-May-20 21:04:00

From what I've been reading..two metres isn't far enough...if someone with coronavirus coughs or sneezes..it can travel up to eight metres...

Barmeyoldbat Thu 21-May-20 13:57:28

I always wear a mask outside of the home, mainly to protect others from my constant sneezing and coughing fits due to hay fever. If everyone wore them it would cut the spread of the virus.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 21-May-20 13:42:10

I'm another Buff fan and have used them for years. They can be used for neck warmers, hair bands, hats, and now virus catchers! I agree the Buff brand seems best quality. Will need washing with each outing as a mask so I guess stretch won't last as long. Must get ordering more.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 21-May-20 11:57:53

NfkDumpling my son uses the Buff brand, probably for that very reason. ATM my facial hair isn't that much of a problem! I already had a few I use when riding my motorcycle, (as well as keeping the flies out of my teeth, keeps make up from coming off inside the helmet, and earrings getting caught in the helmet lining). Have now bought several new ones in colours which coordinate with non-motorcycle clothes so I am suitably attired and coordinated for all occasions!

NfkDumpling Sun 17-May-20 13:35:24

The Buff neck tubes are by far the best GrowingOldDisgracefully (I just abbreviated your name to initials and realised, having just come from the Back to School thread, it may upset some). DH used one of my cheap ones and his beard bristled through it even when it was doubled! It didn’t with the Buff ones.

I have about ten neck tubes. They keep my neck snug, my double chins hidden or my ears warm and now my nose and face protected. Love them.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 17-May-20 13:16:59

Just had to go to our local Boots for some antihistamine cream, as something unbeknown to me had a 3-course meal off of my face yesterday (and I thought gardening was supposed to be good for you!). I now have one side of my face twice the size of the other, and apart from being the only person in Boots with their face covered, at least my 'yashmak' neck tube covering my face hid the aftermath of the Ugly-bug Ball which had taken place. To link to another post on here - accentuate the positives!

Tweedle24 Sun 17-May-20 11:43:59

Grandetante. Currently, we should be avoiding putting hand over mouth when coughing or sneezing, although It is pretty well a reflex action. All that does is put the droplets onto the hand which then spreads it around anything it touches.

Xrgran Fri 15-May-20 12:31:15

Firstly most people use the NHS web site to self diagnose COVID which doesn’t give loss of taste and smell as the first symptom so people who have COVID might think they are fine and be going about spreading it.
Secondly wearing a mask is essential. If you wear one make it far more efficient by putting a clean sheet of kitchen roll or tissue over your nose and mouth before you put it on. I think it’s very inconsiderate to go into any enclosed public space without a mask.

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 17:51:06

Yes that's her, standing behind the dress I just ran up in 3 hours in the British Sewing Bee.

Elegran Thu 14-May-20 13:25:01

She's not wearing that dress, she's standing behind it! Is it whats'ername, who is always on TV history programmes if she can dress up for them ? Lucy Worsley, that's her name, (after a time lapse, the memory recall process is slower than it used to be)

BlueSky Thu 14-May-20 12:51:25

Calli complete with walking poles! grin

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 12:19:47

I need some hula hoops to put into the skirt of the dress I'm making, something like this one:

sodapop Thu 14-May-20 12:17:31

I await pics of your going out attire with interest Callistemon smile

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 12:00:46

I have to confess that is not all my own work, GrowingOldDisgracefull, we have other posters to thank for the great ideas too.

However, when we are allowed out, I do intend to take my walking poles!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 14-May-20 11:56:33

Callistemon, that is brilliant! I think I shall add a crinoline to my motorcycle ensemble!
Grannynannywanny, years of practice at this: I catch hold of the neck tube either side of my face so that the whole thing is gathered up into a small roll in each hand and stretch it well away from my face - that's because, vain me, I wear face and eye make up and don't want to smudge my 'face', or end up with the makeup all over the neck buff. They are very stretchy and will in time get looser (hence why I've bought some new ones). However I do understand that painful hands would make this difficult.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 15:43:35

Thank you for all your suggestions btw smile

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 15:43:13

Sorted!

A crinoline, a motorbike helmet and two Nordic walking poles and I'm ready to face the world again!

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 14:22:41

I don't understand why the call to return to work and the public transport return to a more normal timetable did not coincide. Keeping any sort of distance was impossible for some workers this morning. Not for those whose normal place of work is the House of Commons. Time for them to return and lead the way.

lemsip Wed 13-May-20 11:29:50

lots on youtube on how to make 'no sew' masks, very good.

Grannynannywanny Wed 13-May-20 10:24:50

Elegran I did try that but I found it really difficult due to my arthritic hands. It’s a snug stretchy fit and fights against me even more when I have it rolled.

During removal I get it so far up my face and I lose my grip and it becomes an eye mask!

Just as well I’m on my own and nobody here to witness the antics of me trying to remove it

lemongrove Wed 13-May-20 10:10:16

MawB .....what you said upthread ???

Elegran Wed 13-May-20 10:06:46

Grannynannywanny Perhaps you roll it down to your neck and then take off the rolled-up neck tube without opening it up again?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 13-May-20 09:56:21

There was a scientist on "More or Less" Radio 4 this am. He was explaining the risk of droplet infection. Common sense really.

During normal speech and breathing, large droplets from an infected person fall to the ground quite quickly, near the patient, and smaller droplets can travel much further ie 2 metres. However tiny droplets may linger in the air, like dust particles for some time.

What is not known is whether there an appreciable risk of infection from the tiny particles.

He suggests it is much safer outside than in an enclosed space.

Grannynannywanny Wed 13-May-20 09:48:35

Growingold I bought a couple of those neck tubes recently with that in mind. I thought one in use and one in wash and I’m sorted.

But I’ve changed my opinion after thinking through the process. As the only way to remove it obviously is to pull it up over the face.

As it’s possible to contract the virus via the eyes there would be a risk of that happening while removing the tube if it had been contaminated

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 09:39:30

Reading the new Stay Alert message seems to me that it's exactly the same as the old message. stay in except when you go to work, distance yourself. The government never intended the economy to shut down so much. I think that everyone has complied to excess, in their view, resulting in the huge drop in GDP. The actual distance is really a bit of a red herring, depends really if you come into contact with the infection.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 13-May-20 09:35:51

Buff brand, it should read. Silly predictive text.