Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid-19 testing research study

(34 Posts)
MamaCaz Tue 12-May-20 12:04:51

Has anyone else had a letter today inviting them to take part in this?

If I sign up, I will receive 'a swab test' of nose and throat with which to test if I have the virus. I do the swabs at home then send them back to the lab.

The aim is "to help us assess how much virus is circulating across the country including people who do not have any symptoms" .

rosenoir Tue 12-May-20 12:08:19

I have not but would take part. Why are you saying "if I sign up" are you thinking of not?

MamaCaz Tue 12-May-20 12:20:30

Just poor wording on my part, rosenoir. I've just signed up. ☺

MayBee70 Tue 12-May-20 14:50:40

I’m not sure that it’s possible to nose swab oneself. Perhaps any medical people on here can enlighten me. You surely have to get the swab right to the back of the nose beyond the point where it gets quite painful and will therefore end up with many false negative results?

Joelsnan Tue 12-May-20 14:54:13

Maybee70
Re nasal swabbing.
I think that the tests would not have been sent out if it wasn’t possible to do the test yourself.

NanTheWiser Tue 12-May-20 15:22:02

I had the letter too. I won't be taking part, I understand that the swabs are not easy to do yourself, and are uncomfortable.
Although I could be asymptomatic, I'm pretty sure I haven't had the virus, and a positive result wouldn't be much help to me (although helpful to the NHS).

J52 Tue 12-May-20 15:44:00

I have been chosen and have signed up. The instructions will come with the kit. The on line information did say that when you get the kit you remain free to change your mind.

Getting through to the website was impossible, so I phoned them, again it was impossible to get through. I resorted to sending an email. The automated reply gave me a direct link. This might help anyone else trying to get through.

I am hoping that part of the research group might mean that when an antigen test becomes available we might get that as well.

J52 Tue 12-May-20 15:47:00

I meant antibody test.

MayBee70 Tue 12-May-20 15:48:59

So this test is an antigen test? (I can’t read the letter in the OP as my screen is too small).

lemongrove Tue 12-May-20 15:49:49

If I have this letter then I will take part.....anything to help.

lemsip Tue 12-May-20 16:33:56

yes, me. have signed up.

NanTheWiser Tue 12-May-20 17:08:07

No, not an antigen test, MayBee70, it's whether you have the virus or not.

MayBee70 Tue 12-May-20 21:42:47

Thought that was an antigen test?

MamaCaz Fri 15-May-20 11:17:05

Well, the test has come.

But - and it is a big 'but' - I am meant to book a free courtier collection of the samples before I do the test, but am struggling to do that.

Supposedly, doing it online is the best way (and my preferred method), but the address/link given (whatever the right word is!) doesn't seem right!

There's also a free phone number given, but a) it's busy so I can't get through and b) I am told in the booklet that I will have to enter my alphanumeric code if I use this method, and I don't actually know how to do that on a landline phone!

Please can the others of you who have got these kits tell me if you have the same problems, especially regarding doing this online ? confused
I feel as if I must be overlooking something very simple with this!

MamaCaz Fri 15-May-20 12:48:40

I managed to get on the website by changing https to http and missing the / off the end, but had to use a different browser as Chrome wasn't finding it for me!

Next problem - it seems that I have now booked a collection, but unless I missed it, they haven't told me the date!!!

I just hope it is in the email that they are supposedly sending shortly to confirm it!

Rosalyn69 Fri 15-May-20 14:16:59

I haven’t been invited but if I had I’d take part.
I’m pretty certain I had it in December.

MamaCaz Fri 15-May-20 17:51:53

I think I might have had it too, Rosalyn, but in Jan/Feb. Its a pity this test won't tell me that.

J52 Fri 15-May-20 18:09:57

MamaCaz I have also had problems with the web sites, initially with the registration. I emailed the test organisers, the email was on the initial letter.
I’ve now got the kit and again couldn’t connect to the website given or get through by phone. So I emailed them again and got a direct link, only to find out the collection booking site was shut for the day!
Will try again tomorrow.

MamaCaz Fri 15-May-20 18:48:03

Frustrating, isn't it!

Fortunately, I did get the email confirming collection of the test - eventually! It had gone into spam. It is only about the second thing in five years that has gone into spam so I nearly forgot to check there.

It's being collected tomorrow, so I will have to get up early to do the samples and have them parcelled up in case the courier arrives at 8am.

I decided to do as much as possible this afternoon, and just as well I did - it took me ages to work out how to correctly fold the box that it goes back in! blush

lemsip Sat 16-May-20 14:39:30

I looked at the video on youtube showing how to do the test, but cannot get on site to book courier so will email them as you did.

lemsip Sat 16-May-20 14:42:38

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lo6g-TYZ-c

MamaCaz Sat 16-May-20 20:43:46

A word of warning: If, on the day the courier is due, you get a text telling you approximately what time your swabs will be collected, take it with a pinch of salt.

I got a text around 4pm telling me the courier would be there in the next hour or two. Great - except that he had collected them just after lunch!

dizzyblonde Sat 16-May-20 20:47:54

I have done both the throat and the nasal swab to myself, the throat one is very difficult as it triggers the gag reflex but the nasal one was reasonably easy, just insert until you feel resistance and then twirl for 10 seconds. The only problem was it really tickles! I must have done it right as it came back positive.

J52 Sat 16-May-20 20:57:39

Eventually got mine booked for tomorrow. One confusing bit, the instruction booklet says take the swab before 9am and keep in the fridge. The website said take it 1 to 2 hours before collection.
Which according to MamaCaz would be impossible.

MamaCaz Sun 17-May-20 07:07:23

Yes, J52 - it's a good job that I had decided to follow the booklet instructions on that and do the swabs before 9am, because the courier certainly wouldn't have hung around while I did it.

I've just checked again, and he had been at least four hours before the message came, and in fact when the message arrived, it was already one hour into the two hour time slot that it gave me!