Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Return to school

(213 Posts)
Sunlover Wed 13-May-20 08:32:32

Just wondering how many parents will decide to keeps their children at home when the schools reopen. As a retired teacher I’m so glad I don’t have to go in. Really can’t imagine how it’s all going to work. Don’t envy the head teachers trying to sort everything out. Personally I would keep all children off until September.

Chameleon007 Thu 21-May-20 10:46:26

Having just read that a primary school in County Durham has had to close for 14days because a teacher has been confirmed as having contracted Covid19, I believe it is still too soon for very young children to start school.

Time will tell how many of the pupil families have been infected with the virus.

Furret Fri 22-May-20 10:05:09

Hilarious that someone on this forum has so little idea of the reality of life in a primary school that she thinks a few minor adjustments will sort the problem.

GrannyLaine Fri 22-May-20 12:25:45

If it was my post you were referring to @furret, you have misread it. School have been working on the strategy since lockdown, the few adjustments are to precisely meet guidelines. It's called great planning and leadership. They will be opening on June 1st and my grandchildren will be going.
Laugh all you like.

Mollygo Fri 22-May-20 14:16:47

Had to laugh this morning. I received a post telling me that Stockport Primary schools are not reopening on June 1st Wow! Defying the government?
It could be something to do with the fact that they are on half term from May 25th and don’t return till June 8th.

Furret Fri 22-May-20 15:36:51

Is that what you call it GL grin

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 15:51:41

The pointtrisher made about the toilets is a very pertinent one.

Unless there is a cleaner on permanent toilet sanitizing duties, social distancing will be totally irrelevant.

The children's hands were red raw from using the school soap before schools shut. I wonder, where do they find such terrible soap?

Elegran Fri 22-May-20 16:21:03

At my daughter's (secondary) school, each group is to be allocated to a different set of toilets and are not to use any other, (teachers similarly) and the toilets are to be cleaned every hour. The whole school is to be thoroughly cleaned twice a day. I don't see how more frequent cleaning could be done, unless each set of loos had an attendant to swab down with disinfectant after each use. Their cleaning bill is going to rocket anyway, as the cleaners will have to spend all day in the school instead of cleaning in the early morning and then going home. At least the cleaners will benefit from the extra pay!

Elegran Fri 22-May-20 16:22:26

There will be duplication of users, of course - there aren't enough loos for each group of fifteen to use a separate set.

growstuff Fri 22-May-20 16:23:47

School toilets are disgusting places.

One of my children once had tapeworms, which horrified me. The GP told me that the walls of most school toilets are covered with tapeworm eggs because children don't wipe their bums or wash their hands properly.

Each school really would either have to ban children from using toilets or have somebody on permanent duty checking they wash their hands and then sanitising every surface they could have touched.

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 16:25:16

That's good to hear, Elegran.

Furret Fri 22-May-20 16:43:23

What are reception children going to be doing? All soft toys, play equipment, water, sand, books, etc have been removed from classrooms I am reliably informed.

Furret Fri 22-May-20 16:44:34

I can understand that secondary schools can cope and protect more easily