Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Having workmen in?

(14 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 14-May-20 18:39:24

Has anyone done this since the Covid thing started? Did you get them to wear mask and gloves?

crazyH Thu 14-May-20 18:48:54

The other day, I had my drive power-washed. He did the job - I made him a cup of tea, placed it on the patio table, same with the money - job done - no problem.

Grannmarie Thu 14-May-20 18:48:57

My neighbours across the street have had builders in for weeks converting their loft.

I haven't noticed them wearing masks and gloves.

SueDonim Thu 14-May-20 18:48:58

A friend had to get pest control in as she had mice. ? It was all socially distanced, and it was all explained to her over the phone before he came to the house. He spoke to her on her driveway to inform her what he’d done. She stayed out of the bedrooms he’d been in until the evening, just to make sure.

BlueSky Thu 14-May-20 18:49:27

We had two deliveries of white goods at the very beginning, which were fitted as well. We just stayed out of their way in the next room, then disinfected all surfaces and washed floor.

MerylStreep Thu 14-May-20 18:54:14

We had a new boiler fitted. We were working in the garden while they were here.

Pantglas2 Thu 14-May-20 18:55:26

We’ve had our plumber in to service the boiler and fit new dual fuel bathroom radiator and I watched him disinfect his hands before he got out of his van.

All doors were left open for him to come and go as he pleased from van to bathroom and I went round with disinfectant spray wiping every darn thing after I’d paid him!

I appreciate that he might have infected a surface I didn’t clean but the virus will probably die before I touch it anyway - we’ll see......

Charleygirl5 Thu 14-May-20 18:55:49

I think I will be doing that BlueSky in the very near future because my washing machine is on the blink. I will hold on for as long as possible and hopefully they can bring the new machine in the side gate, install it, I can stay out in the garden and the old one can depart the same way.

Calendargirl Thu 14-May-20 18:59:37

We also had a new boiler fitted. He tried to social distance as much as possible, no, we didn’t wear mask and gloves and neither did he.
Our boiler conked day of the lockdown, and to be honest, I was so pleased our (usual, regular) plumber was able to get it sorted. Was really worried we would be without heat or hot water for goodness knows how long, as all suppliers seemed to shut down straightaway.

Puzzler61 Thu 14-May-20 18:59:40

We had a locksmith come and fix our entrance door this week. Mostly he worked outside , although he needed the door open.
He arrived wearing a mask, and gloves, he had a bottle of antibacterial spray and I saw him spraying our door, handle, step, frame and even our key, several times.
I sat in the conservatory facing him working so he could ask me questions.
I apologised but said I couldn’t offer him a drink or to use the WC as I would have done pre-Coronavirus days. He said he understood perfectly.

fiorentina51 Thu 14-May-20 19:18:10

We discovered we had a woodworm infestation in our basement mainly confined to an old piece of furniture. Pest control man came to deal with it and wore mask and protective clothing due to the toxic nature of the spray used.

Whilst working down there he discovered a leak from one of the water pipes so the plumber was called. It took 3 visits to put it right. No mask worn but we had little contact with him as he was working in the basement. We just kept our distance and left his money in an envelope on the window ledge outside the front door.
A week later strong winds blew our fence down so another workman was called in.
No problem with social distancing and payment was the same procedure as with the plumber.

Tangerine Thu 14-May-20 21:16:45

I had boiler problems and my plumber said he was permitted to do the work. He used sanitiser but did not wear a mask or gloves. I was in a different room from him.

vampirequeen Fri 15-May-20 11:48:17

We had a plumber replace the kitchen taps and a gas fitter service the boiler this week. We didn't take any particular precautions but I noticed we kept slightly more distance between us. I guess social distancing is becoming a habit.

FlexibleFriend Fri 15-May-20 12:05:59

I've had someone to see to my tumble dryer 3 times so far. First one to diagnose the fault, second one to fit the part. It worked for a few days and is now not working again, so they'll be back to diagnose it again and will either come back to fix it again or condemn it and order me a new one which will have to be delivered. Tbh I'm hoping they condemn it as I'll have a working machine quicker. We just open the door step back to let them in and tell them where to go. We go in to another room and leave them to get on with it. They do what they need to and depart. We then disinfect everything . It's not a problem.