Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Arent people kind

(42 Posts)
kittylester Sun 17-May-20 18:10:00

As some of you may know, DS1 is disabled and lives, with his cat, in an adapted flat in our small town.

Today he got a photo of his cat posted through his door by someone asking if the cat was his as they knew the owner was disabled and wondered if he needed any help with the cat or anything else.

And, DGD2 Eloise is 9 today and not able to have a party etc. When she opened her curtains this morning she was met by this in the window of the house opposite.

timetogo2016 Mon 18-May-20 09:30:29

There`s more good people than bad,it`s just the bad get the publicity.
And what a heart warming post.

kittylester Mon 18-May-20 09:38:42

morethan, how absolutely lovely. I bet you shed a tear or two. Xx

Taliya Mon 18-May-20 09:57:41

Yes, sometimes people are kind. Normally it's the same people. Not everyone is kind and thoughtful though during this crisis.

sazz1 Mon 18-May-20 10:17:28

We have found people here, in the small seaside town we moved to, are really helpful and caring. In the big city we came from nobody did anything for anyone with the exception of out nice nextdoor neighbour. Even before lockdown here if you needed anything and asked on the local site many would offer to lend you or give you it, e.g. plant pots, battery charger, lawn mower etc. Great community spirit here. As it's 10+ miles to the nearest large DIY shop everyone helps each other who h is great.

Bazza Mon 18-May-20 10:34:04

Everyone having a rainbow birthday or anniversary, you are part of a special group! My 13 year old granddaughter said she had the best birthday ever because everyone made such an effort.

jaylucy Mon 18-May-20 10:37:23

One positive from this situation is where we are all so used to have been social distancing to the point of not even knowing what your next door neighbour looks like, let alone know their name, that people seem to have made the effort to find out about the families across the road and actually build a proper community and show that they care about other people outside of their own 4 walls - like they used to 20 or 30 years ago !
I hope it all carries on whenever we get back to normal (whenever or if ever that is) and we don't all go back into our little boxes!

4allweknow Mon 18-May-20 10:38:56

Heart warming stories today. So good to read.

sarahanew Mon 18-May-20 10:42:02

This situation is bring out the best and worst of people. Many acts of kindness going on in communities, but also a lot of selfish people out there. We all have choice as to which category we fall into. I hope good will conquer bad in the long run. Lovely your family live in a kind and thoughtful neighbourhood

MarieEliza Mon 18-May-20 11:25:54

Our next door neighbours have been lovely and done our shopping each week. If there are items missing they have put things in from their own kitchen. They are in Ramadan fast and serve us and the neighbourhood with their kindness

TrendyNannie6 Mon 18-May-20 11:27:02

Lovely posts, kindness matters

Daddima Mon 18-May-20 11:31:18

Marydoll it was my birthday on Thursday too! I was fifty eighteen.
Happy birthday to us!

Harris27 Mon 18-May-20 11:54:51

Aw these stories have lifted me on a quiet but new Monday morning. We will all remeber these times and hopefully the nice things people do. I heard a knock at the door last night and there was a plant on my doorstep with a note from one of the children I look after in nurseryWith a message saying “ hope your ok miss you”: wasn’t that lovely.

Marydoll Mon 18-May-20 12:03:50

Daddima, belated birthday greetings!??

ALANaV Mon 18-May-20 12:43:29

That's a lovely heartwarming post ...I hope she had a happy birthday ...and a hug for the cat ! Stay safe

HayleyC Wed 20-May-20 16:18:20

I was touched to discover that young people are doing their bit to support elderly people in isolation, by living in with the elderly people. Homeshare programmes have seen an upturn in enquiries, and once the young people move in, they are helping get food shopping, pick up prescriptions, offer some vital company. I wrote a little piece about it all. I love writing and thought this heart-warming story might inspire others struggling to look after their elderly parents in these strange times:

medium.com/@hayleycannoninfo/the-lives-of-isolated-elderly-people-can-be-transformed-through-homesharing-with-young-people-3c704bce7913

Thanks for sharing all the other lovely stories on this thread. Lifts the spirits smile

BladeAnnie Wed 20-May-20 16:24:05

That is lovely - there are a lot a genuinely good and kind people about thankfully x